Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Rolled pale elf wizard. Met other wizzy outside inn, fighter under tree, healer dude, blunderbuss mofo and the dwarf ranger. Normal game, still feels hard when shadows hit you. Found out they can be killed fairly easy as wizzy with the aoe ability on the bar - have the fighter tank in doors, boom, wasted. I'm having trouble with the nasty tree dudes and their she-bitches. Swarm me and wont die. Meh. Now finished chapter one, coming back to murder them later.
This worked well. Made them my bitch fairly easily. Worked a lot better than trying to pull them out.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
It's just a PDF.

After readingthisI'm just going to do my first playthrough IWD-style. Once there's a fully-functional tool to give the companions decent starting stats/builds, I'll play it again and use the companions all the time. I assume that I'll be able to grab a particular companion and do their story quest stuff even though they're just sitting in the stronghold all the time, so all I will really miss out on is conversation and banter type stuff the first time through.

It's slow but not *that* slow. Not sure how long it took exactly because I left it unattended for close to an hour, but I doubt it took more than 15 minutes or so. Glancing at the GOG forum it looks like some people had issues with anti-virus programs hanging the installer. I don't run anything but Windows Defender on my game PC.
Where is the PDF located? Does it automatically get downloaded via steam?

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Also anyone who starts as a wizard (and hasn't played this type of game for 15+ years) don't worry the first level is abit of a bitch since you can only cast a spell per camp but after lvl 2/3 its cake walk especially with a few teammates.

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game is amazing. Just finished clearing the crossroad area south of the first town as a clergy paladin and the 3 companions you find along the way and it has been glorious. Not since my first romp through dragon age have I enjoyed a game this much and I know Ive barely scratched the surface but I'm already pretty positive this is gonna be a better game and will rank right up there with BG2. Obsidian knocked it outta the park.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is this game the one where:

A) Your main character should be the rogue so you can actually manage traps/sneak attacks without dying instantly.
B) Your main character should be the tank so that your party has a chance to survive.
C) Your main character should be the wizard so that you can blow things up and res everyone else after.
or
D) You have to micro every single character 100% of the time.

?

Dalc

Molten Core Raider
Is this game the one where:

A) Your main character should be the rogue so you can actually manage traps/sneak attacks without dying instantly.
B) Your main character should be the tank so that your party has a chance to survive.
C) Your main character should be the wizard so that you can blow things up and res everyone else after.
or
D) You have to micro every single character 100% of the time.

?
Yeh, kinda what I am working on. Rolled a "Tanky" Paladin, but the fighter dude you pick up in the first town seems to do a better job with his defense stance to increase his max engagements to 3 or whatever. May just boot the fighter out and hire a bunch of custom adventurers for the kind of party I want once I find the money- Story characters seem to pigeon hole you a little bit depending on what you rolled.

But whatever, still a newbie. Only have the wiz, fighter, cleric companions so far.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least on Hard, it's D. Main character can be whatever you want, I haven't [yet] seen any benefit to having the Watcher skills on one class over another. My main is a rogue, and about the only downside I see is that I'm locked out of a lot of conversation options that other classes might be able to choose--my resolve and lore are ass, don't have a deity, etc.

Usually end up restarting games like this half a dozen times before I stick with something all the way through anyway. I'm tempted to switch my main to a cipher and pick up priest, fighter, barbarian, druid, and wizard hirelings.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Does reaching out to peoples souls matter at all or is this just flavor text?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I got rolled so hard my first time picking a fight with
Lord Raedric.
He wasn't even very strong, but his enormous group of bodyguards, ouch.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Playing this on hard is no joke. Surprisingly difficult, lots of selective engagements and skipping til you have a better/stronger party looks necessary.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I hate friendly fire crap, I started on normal planning on doing a hard play through instead of restarting abunch but I'm debating picking a different class since any of my good spells fucking melt half my team. I have mainly custom made people on my team. I have my main (wiz), the npc wiz, (lost the cleric in a rough fight and saved without paying attention), a fighter I made with shield, a ranger I created, a chanter npc I just picked up at the keep area, and now I replaced my priest that died with a 2 hand barbarian who I can't tell if I like yet or not since he fucking dies so much even though I built max const.

Anyways, fucking awesome game I just knocked out a 9 hour session to the twilight hours without even blinking. So far my impressions would be 4 ranged would be better since you lose so much "uptime" with melee running in and getting bunched and not doing any damage. I wish they had a straight archer vs. ranger. Who has the best ranged single target damage from your guys experience?

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I got rolled so hard my first time picking a fight with
Lord Raedric.
He wasn't even very strong, but his enormous group of bodyguards, ouch.
Ya I lost 3 times when I ran into him, almost won my 3rd try and said fuck it and went to see the guy he wanted me to. Wiped the floor with that group and got a nice 2 hander.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
The key to a good nuking caster is super high intelligence. The bonus radius from int never has friendly fire, so the way you do it is roll up 18+ int for 50% or more aoe radius increase, and lay your fireballs with the edge of the main nuke just outside your tanks hitbox, with the bonus area covering everything clustered on your tank.

I wish they had a straight archer vs. ranger. Who has the best ranged single target damage from your guys experience?
I'm running both a custom made ranged rogue and a ranged ranger in my game, and their damage is very similiar according to the damage done tab in the character info. They synergize with each other amazingly though. Rogue gets 50% boost to any cc'ed target, which the rogue and ranger both apply with their special shots, and rogue gets 20% more crits from class talents. Ranger has a 20% ranged damage stance, and and does 50% more damage to targets with a DoT, which handily enough, the rogue applies passively for 12 sec on every attack from another class talent.

I will say though, if you only want one, the ranger animal friend is a big help in my game. I am only running 1 melee character (my tank), and my rangers bear is a huge, HUGE help in spreading the damage around. Another great perk is unlike your normal units, the ranger pet full heals after combat even if he was killed completely, so I try to let him soak up as many hits as possible just so I don't have to rest as often to top off my fighter.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
What an amazing game, I didn't realize how much I miss these type of games Infinity Engine games. I hope it's successful sales wise so they make more of them.

It's a bit slow to start, game start to really shine when you have 4+ party.

I made a Cipher, which is doing my stealth and mechanics stuff, so not needing a rogue at this point.

Anyways, it's been a while since I woke up early on a Saturday to get a few more hours of game time but it's time to go play now.
smile.png

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Look in the game directory (steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity) for \Docs or \StrategyGuide or something like that.
Anyone have any luck on this? I looked and don't see anything in docs and don't have a strategy guide anywhere.