Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How do you take a screen shot in this game? I tried a few buttons and Nada. Don't see it in the options menu either.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Doubleclicking armor to equip it causes your characters to permanently lose their talents. Thanks Obsidian, I'm sure it was the publishers fault for pushing so hard.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Doubleclicking armor to equip it causes your characters to permanently lose their talents. Thanks Obsidian, I'm sure it was the publishers fault for pushing so hard.
That's a feature for wow players to go suck a bag of dicks
biggrin.png

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That's the one thing that holds back Obsidian as a legitimate, powerhouse "RPG" company - their QA is horrid. They've had some real gems/intriguing games, but almost all of them have been mirred with huge bugs.

ili_sl

shitlord
I hate friendly fire crap, I started on normal planning on doing a hard play through instead of restarting abunch but I'm debating picking a different class since any of my good spells fucking melt half my team.
This is why i went with rangers. At higher levels their arrows bounce around hitting more then 1 target. With the high damage slow ranged weapons my rangers hit for 30-50 normal attack plus they have pets that can tank. My rangers pretty much slay everything with auto attack.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Having a good time on Normal just using the premade characters. Would definitely make my own ideal group on Difficult, I just haven't felt like micromanaging like I normally do on these games...don't have as much time anymore. I dig the monk class when it gets a wound, but seems to go down really fast...I'm hoping there is a way to self generate wounds/raise it's defense later.

Am I going to miss anything other than weird lore stories by not reaching out to the yellow name people? I really haven't cared about any of the stories I've read so far.

Haven't hit any bugs yet. Fantastic game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hmm, it doesn't do that for me.
It wipes out racials and passive talents, not everything. You can see if it's affecting your character by comparing Active Effects vs. Abilities in the character sheet.

Here's a before and after of the bug in action:
PoEBug.png

See how my Dirty Fighting talent has been wiped out of Active Effects after I double-clicked a piece of armor? That's the bug. Also note that my elf racial (Distant Advantage) is already long gone and doesn't appear in either screenshot.

Am I going to miss anything other than weird lore stories by not reaching out to the yellow name people? I really haven't cared about any of the stories I've read so far.
Those characters are backer rewards. AFAIK they serve no other purpose. Kind of seems like a missed opportunity. I mean, why can't I look into the souls of the NPCs that actually matter to quests? Like the dude who got eaten by the bear, would have been nice to look into his friend's soul and see if he was telling the truth about why he did what he did. It could have been a cool mechanic like the heart in Dishonored, but instead it's just fluff.

Caliane

sure not just a display bug? I mean they are still both listed down in abilities.

Vorph

I don't think it's just a display bug. If it's not in the list of active effects then you're not getting it.

Also, there's another item bug. If you equip Drinking Horn of Moderation on a Cipher, it will completely break your ability to generate focus, even if you unequip the item.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
At this point I've put in about 10 hours and the intial hype has worn off. This game has absolutely nothing on BG2, sadly.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'd compare it to BG1 more than 2, tbh.

Not as epic a scope. Focused on lower levels (no clue what the level cap/max level possible in the game currently is), so forth.

Its good if you like these types of games.

Expecting Obsidian of 2015 to match Black Isle of 1999-2001 era is probably hoping beyond reason.

Vorph

I'd compare it to IWD2. And not just because the companions are so max-min'ed (not sure if that's a thing, but it is now!) that you are practically required to roll your own party on Hard. The whole thing just reminds me of IWD in general. Which is fine I guess, expecting PS:T2 or even BG3 would be setting yourself up for the biggest disappointment ever. People should have already learned that from DA:O.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Found a bug that lets me loot an armoire item indefinitely the first time I loot it. Where do we report bugs?

NVM, found it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I think the yellow named people are high tier backers who got NPC status with some backstories. Not sure if any of the tiers involved actual quests too.

In the IE mod, there is an option to rename all backers to fantasy due to some of their names being "immersion breaking". Problem with it is that the list of fantasy names appears to be fairly short, so even in the very first village there are duplicate names.

As to the abilities bug, it is there. Just tested. Racial abilities disappear when double clicking armor. Going to focus on Bloodborne until they patch this.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Playing on normal and I am getting face raped, i think i skipped some things.

For example, after the first area and the explosion that kills the rogue ( forget name ) i find myself in the forrest and encounter a bear cave. No way i can do that solo, in fact I would think i need 3 chars minimum for that encounter. Got to the first town ( vale ) and got a wizzy to join, but still we are getting destroyed. mobs are on top of us before i can get a spell off, and frequently 2 shot.

Feel like i am doing it wrong, any thoughts gents ?

Vorph

sure not just a display bug? I mean they are still both listed down in abilities.
Replying to this again because I saw on the reddit post about it that people have confirmed it is a not a display bug by testing it with the racial bonus that gives a third weapon set. Double click to equip armor on Kana (Chanter companion) or a new character/hireling that is an Island Aumaua and you'll lose the third weapon set immediately.

Bottom line, don't rely on auto/quicksave in an Obsidian game. At the very least you should make a save in a permanent slot before setting out on a new quest, or better yet make one at the start of each new map you enter.

Feel like i am doing it wrong, any thoughts gents ?
Very mild spoilers:

Rest at the inn and get the fighter companion after doing a little more of the story quest (talk to dwarf, fighter becomes recruitable). Using his defensive ability makes the fight against the two bears trivial even on hard, so you should have no problems on normal either. There might not even be two bears on normal, not sure about that.

You can also head out of town the other way (east) and get a priest companion right away.

Alternatively (or additionally), go to the inn and get some hirelings. Probably not strictly necessary on normal, but if your main character isn't a rogue or cipher it's a good idea to buy one for the mechanics skill if nothing else. There's no companion rogue at all, and the companion cipher is just terrible.