Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Replying to this again because I saw on the reddit post about it that people have confirmed it is a not a display bug by testing it with the racial bonus that gives a third weapon set. Double click to equip armor on Kana (Chanter companion) or a new character/hireling that is an Island Aumaua and you'll lose the third weapon set immediately.

Bottom line, don't rely on auto/quicksave in an Obsidian game. At the very least you should make a save in a permanent slot before setting out on a new quest, or better yet make one at the start of each new map you enter.

Very mild spoilers:

Rest at the inn and get the fighter companion after doing a little more of the story quest (talk to dwarf, fighter becomes recruitable). Using his defensive ability makes the fight against the two bears trivial even on hard, so you should have no problems on normal either. There might not even be two bears on normal, not sure about that.

You can also head out of town the other way (east) and get a priest companion right away.

Alternatively (or additionally), go to the inn and get some hirelings. Probably not strictly necessary on normal, but if your main character isn't a rogue or cipher it's a good idea to buy one for the mechanics skill if nothing else. There's no companion rogue at all, and the companion cipher is just terrible.
Thanks man.

Raign

Golden Squire
There are some pretty rough fights in Endless Paths Od Nua..

.. Especially if you climb down the blood pit... you end up skipping right to level 6 of the endless paths. Not for the faint of heart and don't recommend it below a level 5 or so party

Edit:

On an unrelated note, chanters are crazy powerful. Might make my 'Path of the Damned' next run as one.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Game's pretty sweet, but is it possible to assign abilities to hotkeys? I'd like F1 - F6 to be select character (currently 1-6 I believe) and then 1-6 (1-0?) to be the active abilities. It seems odd that they'd have so many 'per encounter' abilities but you have to move the mouse down into the corner every, single, time.

I dunno how you guys have set up your hotkeys, but using WASD for the camera, Q for select all, and F for double-time is pretty convenient. I'll be a happy camper if I can get away from moving the mouse so much for abilities.

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you can just mouse over what you wanna hotkey and press that key to assign it. Pretty sure I saw that on a review or something but i could be wrong.

Del

Vyemm Raider
I'm about 15-20 hours in and I'm having as much fun with this as I did with the Baldur's Gate games personally. The combat and character classes are objectively better. Setting is great, too. Story and characters I won't know for sure until I beat it.

Only disappointment is it's not quite as difficult as I hoped on the hard difficulty setting.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just because someone doesn't think this game is as good as BG2 doesn't mean they don't think this game is good. Just fyi, butthurt Obsidian fanboy, some of us love Obsidian but don't have blinders on to facts and reality like that this game is good, but not Baldur's Gate 2.

I personally prefer BG1 to 2 because I prefer low level D&D to high level D&D where everyone is a fucking demi god turning into dragons and liches and shit.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Enjoying this game so far. I just came off playing BG2:enhanced edition and this still feels better, at least for now. The "faster" speed thing by itself makes the game so much less tedious.

My main complaint atm, though applicable to many other games, is how annoying AoE spells are. My main is a druid, and so often I end up hitting allies who move right as the spell is about to go off. Same with my mage and his spells. Makes me stick to mainly single targets, which make them kinda gimpy. Shapeshift is fun though.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Just because someone doesn't think this game is as good as BG2 doesn't mean they don't think this game is good. Just fyi, butthurt Obsidian fanboy, some of us love Obsidian but don't have blinders on to facts and reality like that this game is good, but not Baldur's Gate 2.

I personally prefer BG1 to 2 because I prefer low level D&D to high level D&D where everyone is a fucking demi god turning into dragons and liches and shit.
What the fucks up your ass? Take a midol, you overreacting cunt.

Not even sure how my post qualified as being butthurt, your negging sure does though.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
For anyone who is just getting into it, I restarted and one thing I did out the bat was started setting custom formations and it helps so much (hit f to make the formation then pick it on your interface).

I remade my party, just getting into to the start but my main is a ranger w/ bear pet, I have a 2nd ranger with a lion pet for Fright and I run them in the front of the formation w/ damage reduction talent. I just added a cipher and a chanter and the npc wizard to round it out. Temple was a joke with that group (didn't have the fighter or cipher yet)

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Browsing through the achievements, I saw this one:

Triple Crown SOLO
Complete the game on Expert, Trial of Iron, and Path of the Damned modes without taking any companions after Cilant Lis.

Seems rough, I wonder what class is viable for that one.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Browsing through the achievements, I saw this one:

Triple Crown SOLO
Complete the game on Expert, Trial of Iron, and Path of the Damned modes without taking any companions after Cilant Lis.

Seems rough, I wonder what class is viable for that one.
Korean.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone notice when you attack the people from the caravan in the opening scene your quest gets updated to "Kill all the people in the caravan"? Anyone done it? Gotta imagine it'll take a lot of kiting, probably a Fighter for innate regen using a bow or something.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
So... my one complaint so far is the scouting/hidden stash double speed necessity. Why not just make perception find hidden shit and not make me sneak everyfuckingwhere? How's about that?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
So... my one complaint so far is the scouting/hidden stash double speed necessity. Why not just make perception find hidden shit and not make me sneak everyfuckingwhere? How's about that?
http://game-maps.com/PoE/Pillars-of-...-World-Map.asp
Don't be hasty
smile.png

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
So. my wizard summoned this Q-Staff to use during g a fight and now it's bugged to where I can't cast spells or melee at all. He is worthless to me right now.