Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Edit: Release date is March 26th.

Making a new thread for this since the old one is well, really old and the title still refers to it as the kickstarter project name.

This is an old school CRPG which ran a Kickstarter back in december 2013 and managed to get just short of 4millions out of their 1millions plan. It's made by Obsidian who is a fairly known studio who made among other stuff Fallout: New Vegas and worked on Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment as well as some work on the original Baldur's Gate games with Bioware. Note that while they worked on Planescape: Torment, there is another game being made as a spiritual successor called Torment: Tides of Numeras which also ran a successful kickstarter for 4millions. This is not the same game.

Pillars of Eternity is a real time with pause function RPG using 3D isometric view and 2D pre rendered backgrounds, basically, Baldur's Gate and such. It's following the Infinity Engine systems as a game. The world isn't D&D though obviously, it's a high fantasy setting but set a bit "later" in the timeline since machinery and stuff exist. It adds its own twitsts on stuff like races and magic and what not.

Here's the quickbomb video to see the game in action. Looks a lot better than last time they showed something. I didn't watch the entire video since it touches on a bunch of spoiler stuff and I didn't really care about it, but char creation and management seems very interesting since they made the systems so you can build your character the way you want(the example they give is a Int based Barbarian, int affecting spell durations and aoe, making it viable compared to the typical Str barbarian).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is going to be awesome and I hope it inspires more developers to come back to this genre.

It's going to be a pretty lengthy game too. I read somewhere that Icewind Dale was about 80 separate maps and that Baldur's gate was around 200. This game is at 150ish.

I literally just finished playing Temple of Elemental Evil about 30 minutes ago. ToEE got a lot of hate for being buggy and unfinished upon release in 03', but with all of the Circle of 8 patches the game is pretty good.

This game is going to be awesome and I hope it inspires more developers to come back to this genre.

It's going to be a pretty lengthy game too. I read somewhere that Icewind Dale was about 80 separate maps and that Baldur's gate was around 200. This game is at 150ish.

I literally just finished playing Temple of Elemental Evil about 30 minutes ago. ToEE got a lot of hate for being buggy and unfinished upon release in 03', but with all of the Circle of 8 patches the game is pretty good.
Yeah i really enjoyed ToEE with the Circle of 8 patches made it very enjoyable. Really love these with a passion , Fallout , Baldurs Gate , Icewind Dale and its sequels...they are such fucking good times. Cannot wait for this as well , looks awesome.

Not sure which project I am more excited for. The Planescape successor, Wasteland, or this. Brings me back to my childhood and playing all of the original infinity engine/iso perspective games. Before the evil MMO's sunk their claws in to me.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's not even just mmos, it's just the fact the genre pretty much completely disappeared. In an interview the Obsidian guy said at the time the big guys said no one wanted to play games like this anymore and that 3D was the new thing so everyone had to stop making 2D games and make 3D games instead. Other than Dragon Age(first one), almost nothing has been made in that genre since the golden age. Now that kickstarter is a thing though, a bunch of them got funded. Divinity: Original Sin is the first one to be released of the batch and it's pretty fucking good. It's great to see that amidst all the scams and failures of kickstarter, some games are actually being made.

Btw forgot in the OP but beta for this starts August 8 for backers who had access, so they're on track for winter release I assume, probably november or so but they might push it back to avoid conflict with Dragon Age. Wasteland 2 is already in beta, not sure on the Torment game status though.

iannis

Musty Nester
Same here. I thought D:OS was gonna be like warm up act for it personally. Then larian went and surprised me by making a really great game.

I get a pretty strong retro feeling from Eternity's art and interface. It's like they're very subtly reminding us that... hey, fucksticks, we wrote BG2. And that's cool. Since they DID.

As bright and goofy as D:OS is, I expect this will be a nice more serious contrast. I anticipate it more than Planescape2. Planescape has just been built up so much over the years that it's getting into a duke nukem situation. Not that PS2 is doomed, but it's gonna have to be pretty fucking mindbending to be considered on the same level.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well it's not even just mmos, it's just the fact the genre pretty much completely disappeared. In an interview the Obsidian guy said at the time the big guys said no one wanted to play games like this anymore and that 3D was the new thing so everyone had to stop making 2D games and make 3D games instead. Other than Dragon Age(first one), almost nothing has been made in that genre since the golden age. Now that kickstarter is a thing though, a bunch of them got funded. Divinity: Original Sin is the first one to be released of the batch and it's pretty fucking good. It's great to see that amidst all the scams and failures of kickstarter, some games are actually being made.

Btw forgot in the OP but beta for this starts August 8 for backers who had access, so they're on track for winter release I assume, probably november or so but they might push it back to avoid conflict with Dragon Age. Wasteland 2 is already in beta, not sure on the Torment game status though.
maintream anyway. theres Avernum, etc.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
For people involved in the crowd funding / kickstarter, the beta for this starts tomorrow August 18th

EDIT: Last chance to crowdfund according to their website is August 22nd. Costs $125 to get into the beta tier, but the regular version is $35 now and will most likely go up $10+ by the time of launch. They are going full price for this game it seems unlike Wasteland 2 which will go down to around $20-25 when it goes live.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It doesn't cost 125$ for beta, it costs 25$ more. You pledge 35$ for the game then you can go in the buy addons thing and Beta access is 25$ to add to your account, so 60$ total. I didn't bother cause I don't want to play an unfinished game anyway but it's not particularily expensive. Should definitely grab the game at 35$ before launch though, but I assume GMG or whoever will run a 20% cut on release price so it might not matter too much.

Link in case of:Sign in

Allty_sl

shitlord
Looking forward to this.
Kickstarter is working out in my favour , wasteland 2 , divinity, now pillars , then tides of num in the future : life is good

Del

Vyemm Raider
My god this trailer is so good. Don't think I could be anymore hyped.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This is what real RPG gaming should look/feel like. Get wrekt BioQueers.