Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today afternoon, not too bad. If you liked the first and second Pirates movies you'll probably like this. Ironically Jack Sparrow is the absolute worst part of the franchise now, and really feels unnecessary and an obstacle. Everyone else was fine, Javier Bardem really hammed it up although I honestly couldn't understand what he was saying half the time. A few cool action scenes, like at the beginning the bank robbery was fun. Still, probably a movie better watched at home, nothing so spectacular you have to see it in theaters. Definitely deserves a better rating than what RT has, but dunno how much higher I'd go - 6/10 or so.

Oldbased

> Than U
115M domestic/392m overseas. 508million total atm in 10 days. Hardly a flopper.
Domestic it'll never touch the other 4, foreign it has surpassed at least Curse of the Black Pearl.

Appears other than on video, Curse of the Black Pearl didn't show in many countries including China. Wonder if content was a result of that blocking.

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched this last night and it was pretty decent. It isn't as good as the first and second movie, but they'll never top those. The action scenes are really good which make it definitely worth a watch.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The last one underperformed in the box office, so not surprised in the slightest that they don't want to continue on with Johnny Depp. Why develop new IPs simply reboot the entire franchise a mere couple of years after the latest?!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The last one underperformed in the box office, so not surprised in the slightest that they don't want to continue on with Johnny Depp. Why develop new IPs simply reboot the entire franchise a mere couple of years after the latest?!

Movie IP's as a service™

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
It was funny watching the Half in the Bag guys talk about Halloween and constantly rebooting franchises every 6 months when one isn't a success and then 30 seconds later I see this thread. Spot on.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Depp was Jack Sparrow, as much as he is a piece of shit, you cant replace him with somebody else. any reboot will fail hard.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Unless the reboot is about a pirate that isn't Jack Sparrow. I mean you are right, he IS Jack Sparrow, but we are seeing how played out it is. Even Depp looks like he is playing someone playing Jack Sparrow in the last movie.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
I bet the reboot will be about Jack Sparrow's illegitimate kid or something.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
these people have no fucking idea what they're doing. The Pirates franchise didnt fail because of Johnny Depp. it failed because the movies got boring. also, they cut Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly from it years ago. the only thing that kept it alive at all was Depp's over the top iconic performance as Jack Sparrow. might as well shelve it completely now and learn to be creative, then ask Depp if he still wants his role back.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i would actually argue the exact opposite for the exact same reasons. johnny depp ruined the franchise with an out of this world performance of jack sparrow. jack sparrow shouldn't have ever been a main character. he's a BRILLIANT supporting character but it just doesn't work if the whole story is about him. the first one was great because jack works best as a walking dues ex machina; things just work out for him because he's jack sparrow. but you can't have that be your main character because there's just no room for growth, it doesn't work.

BUT because his performance was so amazing, you can't help but want to see more of him. So they made the sequels more about jack and they became more and more detached from reality.

• 1Like

Szlia

I don't totally agree, because both On Stranger Tides and this Dead Men Tell No Tales try to have a conventional hero in respectively Philip Swift and Henry Turner. I agree though that while they have the 'main character' archetype, they are not the actual main characters of their movies. That being said, for The Curse of the Black Pearl, the character that is given the more real estate on the movie poster is Sparrow. It's possible that in the script he was supposed to be a color character, but that during shooting and editing (and possible rewriting) it became the Sparrow movie that it already is.

Anyway, for me the lack of Gore Verbinski is what hurt the serie the most in episodes 4 and 5, even if 3 was already a slight letdown.