Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
They need to put this IP to bed for at least 10 years. A reboot so soon was doomed to failure.

Agreed, the last few were just so disappointing from a writing point of view. Captain Barbossa was such an amazing character and I felt like they could have done much more with his story. The whole "Daughter" thing was so contrived it was just sad to watch, I mean they gave him an emotional send-off but it was...meh.

The whole series was basically about how Jack needed to live forever but they didn't know how to go about it without it getting boring and obvious. First movie was amazing because it showed the conflict, internally, that Jack WANTED immortality but not at the cost of his soul. If movie 3 had played out the way he wanted it to, he would have become the captain of the Dutchman and fucked off for eternity but they had to have will become that character for...reasons? 4 then spiraled out of control with black-beard being captain crazy but then...not really being all that crazy...or crafty or really anything other than "Evil Bad Man!" and the nuance was completely lost. 5 rolled around and I couldn't tell you the fucking point of it other than introducing Barbossas daughter that turns out to be a witty girl!

I mean when you lose your goal of making Jack immortal...what really is the fucking point. The VERY last thing done in this series should have been to have jack sail off with an assumption that he holds the key to immortality.

Instead we are left with this abortion:

The only thing that 5 gave us was this girl:

1550207903958.png

There is just something adorably sexy about the girl-next-door look. Married with kids too. Damn she's cute.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron Adams

Golden Knight of the Realm
Easy Reboot: Pirates of the Caribbean: Treasure Island
Don't start the series over, just push the timeline forward and let Sparrow hand it off to someone else, literally.

Change the pirate who dies in the beginning and leaves the map to Jim to be an older Sparrow. Proceed with Treasure Islands normal plot with a character development focus on Jim/Long John Silver/Captain Smollet. They essentially become the call to adventure hero (Jim), the treacherous anti hero (Silver), and straight hero (Smollet). Advance future sequels with whichever characters resonate with the audience. Bonus points because Treasure Island was Disney's first live action film.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Don't start the series over, just push the timeline forward and let Sparrow hand it off to someone else, literally.

Change the pirate who dies in the beginning and leaves the map to Jim to be an older Sparrow. Proceed with Treasure Islands normal plot with a character development focus on Jim/Long John Silver/Captain Smollet. They essentially become the call to adventure hero (Jim), the treacherous anti hero (Silver), and straight hero (Smollet). Advance future sequels with whichever characters resonate with the audience. Bonus points because Treasure Island was Disney's first live action film.
Wallace Beery and later Robert Newton fucking killed the LJS role. there is really no man in hollywood that could pull that role off today. maybe maybe maybe Bryan Cranston, but he would have to go full daniel day lewis on it. i think he is capable of doing that, but its 50/50.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
article says a movie and D+ show
Disney+ doesnt spend that much. their shows are cheap. he probably has other obligations, maybe they purchased his likeness too. they were using it at Disneyworld without permission.

also
It was alleged that Johnny Depp had not only signed on to play the role of madcap pirate Jack Sparrow but that he was also being paid $301 million to do so. Sources for the outlet claimed that Walt Disney Pictures was keen on continuing their relationship with the Oscar nominee now that the defamation case is done. However, Depp's rep has now put those rumors to rest with four words:

This is made up.
I’d say that the statement that was shared with NBC News (via E! News) is pretty clear. That initial report also contracted information that had been previously shared. Not only did the Alice in Wonderland alum previously mention that he was not eager to don his pirate boots again, but franchise producer Jerry Bruckheimer said that the actor was not being considered at this point and that the future of the series was undecided.

• 1Rustled

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I might be in the minority, but I liked Pirates 5 for tying off the threads for most of the core characters from the original. Plus it was centered on Geoffry Rush who is awesome. I can't see where they go with another, even with Depp, unless they can convince Hayeck to come back and reprise Blackbeard's daughter and actually tie off Jacks immortality quest, as has been suggested. But honestly, I cannot see the interest in any of the parties involved, unless Disney rather specifically wants to give WB the middle finger publicly.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
She's gonna get millions for a tell-all book. She's a moron and will most likely put shit in it she shouldn't and get sued again

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Disney+ doesnt spend that much. their shows are cheap. he probably has other obligations, maybe they purchased his likeness too. they were using it at Disneyworld without permission.

Don't think they need his permission since they own the character

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

also
It was alleged that Johnny Depp had not only signed on to play the role of madcap pirate Jack Sparrow but that he was also being paid $301 million to do so. Sources for the outlet claimed that Walt Disney Pictures was keen on continuing their relationship with the Oscar nominee now that the defamation case is done. However, Depp's rep has now put those rumors to rest with four words:

I’d say that the statement that was shared with NBC News (via E! News) is pretty clear. That initial report also contracted information that had been previously shared. Not only did the Alice in Wonderland alum previously mention that he was not eager to don his pirate boots again, but franchise producer Jerry Bruckheimer said that the actor was not being considered at this point and that the future of the series was undecided.

likeness rights were wild west with Disney contracts up until very recently within the last 2-3 years. not surprised they were using his likeness without permission prior.

• 1Like

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm

This makes so much sense it will never happen. Likely what really happens in Hollywood is this scenario; Good writer or lower level film exec comes up with fantastic idea or script.
Higher level exec sees the brilliance, is worried they will be replaced, tells everyone else involved it sucks lets hire my family/friend/former lovers to do a rewrite.

In the old days in Hollywood the scripts would get written and made into movies. They would just pay idea people who had no power money to sign over all the rights, Make them sleep with them to get it made, or blackmail them into shutting up. Now the people who have no connections and no power, they just get shut out. Complete nepotism, no fresh voices, one big circle jerk of yes men back slapping.

At least this is what i imagine, i have no idea really. But i don't understand how these putrid scripts keep getting greenlit.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I might be in the minority, but I liked Pirates 5 for tying off the threads for most of the core characters from the original. Plus it was centered on Geoffry Rush who is awesome. I can't see where they go with another, even with Depp, unless they can convince Hayeck to come back and reprise Blackbeard's daughter and actually tie off Jacks immortality quest, as has been suggested. But honestly, I cannot see the interest in any of the parties involved, unless Disney rather specifically wants to give WB the middle finger publicly.
I agree.

I honestly feel like the story has sailed at this point. Almost all of the story arcs are finished. About the only thing left is Pirates verse England. It could have Jack's final story that would involve him either dying or finally meeting that right woman and becoming a land lover. Passing the mantle will not work because Johnny Depp did to good of a job playing the role. It will be decades before you could recast the role and maybe find success.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its a fake story confirmed by Depp's own people. Disney isnt giving anyone 300 million for 1 crappy show and one movie. maybe 3 years ago they would have, but now that Disney is doing very poorly, they cut back on budgets and if they really needed Depp, they wouldnt offer him anywhere near that since their movie budgets are 200 million or less.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Considering this is Disney, they probably shit on him behind closed doors and took Amber Heard's side. Now that its over and he's been vindicated, they're probably still shitting on him anyway and calling it fake. I wouldn't want to be involved with them if I were him.