Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

There is a database on fatal dog maulings on Wikipedia. About 75% of the recent ones seem to be pitbulls and the vitims are mostly kids or old ladies. There are links to the news report source so I suppose nobody can really call BS on these stats.

Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do see one poor 93 year-old grandma who was mauled to death by a Boston Terrier in 2012. Can't imagine anyone being mauled by these cute little guys.
frown.png
frown.png
frown.png

cervical_vertebral_instability_in_boston_terriers.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The woman was "mauled by a Boston terrier." No other details are known as this death was never directly covered by the media. It was mentioned briefly in an article in 2014 about another fatal dog bite.[527]
I wonder if it was the worst possible scenario: The woman fell, couldn't get help, and once the dog started to starve to death it ate her slowly.

iannis

Musty Nester
I always wanted a rottweiler. How is their general reputation?

I doubt I'll have a dog anytime soon. And if I do it'll by a non-shedding hypoallergenic dog like a mini schnauzer.
You're the wrong color to own a Rott, that's how their reputation is.

They're large, intelligent, easily trainable dogs though. Pretty too.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just need more Dachsund+Golden Retriever mixes. Too awkward to be dangerous.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've only ever personally heard of Rotts killing someone twice. It was in the late 90's. Both time it was a jogger, it was multiple Rotts, and they both happened within about 6 months of each other.

My guess is that someone around the area was doing dogfights.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Rottweilers are my personal favorite breed. They have a bad reputation, for reals. I mean they can be trained to be real killers, but the vast majority, especially the females, have hearts of gold.

For best Rottweiler, get a black lab/rott mix.

Same goes for German Shepherds. Amazing dogs, mix them with a black lab and they are among the most loyal, most empathetic of animals. My father has a German Shepherd/Black Lab mix and its the biggest pussy on the planet. I love that dog to death but its a pure coward.

Chows are fucking crazy. Think Cinge said he was surprised a Chow Chow went wild on his family. Don't be. The far bigger surprise was that your other Chows didn't follow that trend, because Chows are well demonstrated to be very picky, aggressive breeds.

Pits are sorta in the middle. You really got to raise one correctly, but if you do, they're good dogs. If you don't, they can turn vicious fast.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
It's too varied to generalize dogs and it's potential behavior and therefore why it is difficult for communities to come up with rules and regulation. I think the strike people use against pitbulls is despite training and proper owner care there have been a plethora of documented case where they just go off the deep end. No matter how domesticated dogs are there still remains the feral, wild portion of it's brain that will never be tamed. And when it does go boom it's destructive.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't really get why people like Chows. Those dogs are just mean. Maybe I've just met bad Chows, but all the ones I've ever met. Yep. Just mean. They're like the Chinese Pit Bull, except pit bulls aren't mean. They just randomly go insane.

But Chows are fluffy, I guess.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't understand why you'd keep an animal fully capable of killing you in your house, and the only reason it doesn't is because you believe he loves you and he wants the food you provide.

Come on people, for the most part (like 99.99%) dogs are super nice and I love dogs. But these things are animals. They can and do snap for no particular reason.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't really get why people like Chows. Those dogs are just mean. Maybe I've just met bad Chows, but all the ones I've ever met. Yep. Just mean. They're like the Chinese Pit Bull, except pit bulls aren't mean. They just randomly go insane.

But Chows are fluffy, I guess.
They're just psychos. I've never met one that was friendly with anyone except the person that fed it/their primary care taker.

They are hyper territorial and aggressive. Chows make no sense to me at all.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's too varied to generalize dogs and it's potential behavior and therefore why it is difficult for communities to come up with rules and regulation. I think the strike people use against pitbulls is despite training and proper owner care there have been a plethora of documented case where they just go off the deep end. No matter how domesticated dogs are there still remains the feral, wild portion of it's brain that will never be tamed. And when it does go boom it's destructive.
The problem is that everyone tries to pigeonhole breeds as sets of defined characteristics. All dogs are dogs. Period. You're going to get calm, lovable chihuahas and psycho golden retrievers. Both would be against breed *tendencies*, but dogs aren't robots. They're going to have personalities, including a bunch of hangups from how they were raised as pups. People need to start realizing that at the end of the day they're a lot more similar than different, and stop using size as a mental shortcut to safety.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The problem is that everyone tries to pigeonhole breeds as sets of defined characteristics. All dogs are dogs. Period. You're going to get calm, lovable chihuahas and psycho golden retrievers. Both would be against breed *tendencies*, but dogs aren't robots. They're going to have personalities, including a bunch of hangups from how they were raised as pups. People need to start realizing that at the end of the day they're a lot more similar than different, and stop using size as a mental shortcut to safety.
Yep, this.

One of the main contributing reasons to Pitbulls being involved in so many vicious attacks are the type of owners that are attracted to pitbulls. Every gangbanger and wannabe wants to get a pitbull. Go to any dog shelter in a city and 80% of their dogs are pitbull mixes abandoned by gangbangers and dogfighting rings. Sucks.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't understand why you'd keep ahumanfully capable of killing you in your house, and the only reason it doesn't is because you believe he loves you and he wants the food you provide.

Come on people, for the most part (like 99.99%) humans are super nice and I love humans. But these things are animals. They can and do snap for no particular reason.
Fixed, having a dog in your house capable of killing you (well, mine is 85 pound malmois shepherd mix) is about as dangerous as having a roommate. Less so probably.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Isn't size the #1 indicator of safety with a dog? If you look at:

There seems to be a pretty strong correlation between size and fatality rate.
Norm McDonald used to do a bit about a weiner dog taking all night to chew through your neck to get to an artery, something silly like that.

Yes, it seems size would have to be, at least to some extent, correlated with fatalities. Probably once you hit a good 70 pounds or so, though, the size distinction probably starts to matter less.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Isn't size the #1 indicator of safety with a dog? If you look at:

There seems to be a pretty strong correlation between size and fatality rate.
You'll find the same thing among cars too. It doesn't mean we start banning F-350s. Big dogs, if they do attack, are going to do more damage than a small one. I'd rather get in a fight with Wee Man from Jackass than the Big Show from WWE. It's just physics. Smaller dogs actually get away with a lot more aggressiveness and antisocial behavior *because* they can do less damage.

When I got my first large dog, I knew proper socialization was going to be a major priority because she's a big, black dog and would scare people. For my sake and hers, it was vital she learn not to nip, jump, bark without need, etc. Bad owners just assume that kind of thing happens naturally but it takes a lot of work. To this day, she could leap the back fence basically any time she wants, but I can still corral her with about 4" of cardboard if needed. She just does not jump, ever, because we taught her not to.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Fixed, having a dog in your house capable of killing you (well, mine is 85 pound malmois shepherd mix) is about as dangerous as having a roommate. Less so probably.
The closest to harming me my dog has ever come was when she had a bad case of cold tail from the swimming pool and insisted on laying on top of me on the couch while she moped about it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't have any roommates either.
smile.png
Just wife & kids. I do get your point though, but I'd argue that dogs are fully optional; humans are not, at least if you want to continue our species.