Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's the current recourse now if you visit someone with a pit and they bit your kid's head clean off? What typically happens to the owner?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
What's the current recourse now if you visit someone with a pit and they bit your kid's head clean off? What typically happens to the owner?
I'm not certain on criminal liability but they would certainly be civilly liable. Animal law is a complex topic believe it or not.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The injured can definitely sue. If the owner was willfully negligent there could be criminal charges filed, usually though I think they're not if the owner willingly gives up the animal for destruction and all that.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't do the small dog things. Big dogs, raised right, are gentle giants and they have way more entertaining personalities than smaller breeds. I personally have a very large malamute and he's a godamn sweetheart.

I do think that you should be careful with larger dogs however. If that dog does anything to hurt anyone the onus should be on the owner of the dog.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The injured can definitely sue. If the owner was willfully negligent there could be criminal charges filed, usually though I think they're not if the owner willingly gives up the animal for destruction and all that.
As a minor in my particular story posted earlier I didn't have a whole lot of say. The adults settled on some financial compensation that if it was ever disclosed to me I've long since forgotten. Said biological father ended up taking and/or squandering the funds during or after the divorce. No criminal charges were put up to the rottweiler owners that I was ever aware of, ultimately it was discovered the dog got out b/c their son forgot to close the side gate of their house. This was 30 years ago so everyone was less litigious maybe, these days who knows but one can only assume it'd be a much bigger deal.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just like humans, size makes a difference even in unintentional situations. My dog is a 70lb lazy pussy, but he always jumps up to greet new people that approach him. So a few months back some 5 year old whose face was covered in ice cream pets my dog, and he jumps up on him to lick the ice cream off his face. Kid falls on his ass and starts crying while my dog proceeds to rape his face with his tongue. Wasn't hurt, but the mom got all bitchy at me. Told her maybe she should get a leash for her kid, hah.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Do I ever hate it when parents let their kids come up to pet my dogs without asking first. I have no fear whatsoever that they'll hurt them, but my dogs both stand nearly waist high. I worry more about kids getting intimidated or frightened when the dogs show affection. More to the point, people need to ask first. I'm not going to go up and start patting your kid on the head, so don't have them come over to my dogs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I always forget to ask for permission, but I guess when someone walks up to me with a dog I assume permission is implied. I never walk up to people with dogs...

Then again I never touch a dog who I couldn't beat in a fight. I have the same strategy with dating.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'll usually talk to the dog and see if the human responds.

That's probably annoying. I'm probably a dick. I don't care. Don't bring your dog into public then. You're the dick.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind adults around my dogs at all. Hell, I don't even mind kids if there's at least some acknowledgement from me first. Even just eye contact. What grinds my gears is parents telling their kids "okay, go pet the doggie!" and having them come running my direction like a tiny lawsuit in Baby Gap jeans.

iannis

Musty Nester
lol. Yeah, that would be shitty. Shitty parenting 101.

Yes, go pet the thing that could scratch you and make you cry. I DARE YOU TO, MY PROGENY.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you report it the dog would get quarantined. If it was the first bite then they'd likely go back to the owner once they know its not rabid or something like that. If not then things get muddied. You could also sue them for damages.

If they have home insurance there is liability coverage there.

Now some companies exclude animal liability, have dog lists and the such so depending on situation that may or may not be a dead end to the injured party. Most people don't have a ton of assets and in many cases what assets they do have can be protected so getting people to actually pay even if you get a judgement can be difficult if there is no insurance coverage or the claim gets denied.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The shit that really irritated me was the random strangers that would walk right up to me and pick up my puppy when he was small. Some people see a puppy and think "aww cute" and just go ahead and maul him. With his temperament, he was cool with it, but I bet that is how some puppies learn to fear people.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you report it the dog would get quarantined. If it was the first bite then they'd likely go back to the owner once they know its not rabid or something like that. If not then things get muddied. You could also sue them for damages.

If they have home insurance there is liability coverage there.

Now some companies exclude animal liability, have dog lists and the such so depending on situation that may or may not be a dead end to the injured party. Most people don't have a ton of assets and in many cases what assets they do have can be protected so getting people to actually pay even if you get a judgement can be difficult if there is no insurance coverage or the claim gets denied.
Anyone else feel like owners should be criminally liable for dog attacks where no blame is on the victim?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I've had two pitt-mixes and they're both the biggest babies in the world. The last storm we had, mine (whippet/pitt) got stuck under the bed cause she was trying to hide and sometimes I have to drag her outside to go for walks.

My mom's chow though? Fuck that. Mean dog...and I lived with it for several years.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yes, go pet the thing that could scratch you and make you cry. I DARE YOU TO, MY PROGENY.
Happened *all the time* at the park. It got to where I didn't even want to take them. The only demographic more likely to appear from nowhere to randomly coo over my dog was college girls (which admittedly, was part of the reason for the dogs in the first place and wasn't so bad in my 20s).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I can't do the small dog things. Big dogs, raised right, are gentle giants and they have way more entertaining personalities than smaller breeds. I personally have a very large malamute and he's a godamn sweetheart.

I do think that you should be careful with larger dogs however. If that dog does anything to hurt anyone the onus should be on the owner of the dog.
Small dogs are worthless fucking shits. I go for a 2-3 mile walk probably 4-5 times a week, and without fail each time im out walking some little shit for brains dog starts barking at me trying to get away from its mongoloid dumbfuck owner to "attack" me. Annoying as can be. They almost universally all have downright terrible temperaments since their dumbass owners treat them like little babies instead of dogs.

As far as pitbulls, worthless breed. 90% of the people who own them are fucking stereotypical wannabe thugs and the other 10% are just morons who think "ohh its just a misunderstood breed!".

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone else feel like owners should be criminally liable for dog attacks where no blame is on the victim?
I'm torn. While I am sure there are plenty of cases where yes they should be, there are also cases where its just literally freak occurrence out of the blue. I guess it would be up to investigators to determine if the owners are responsible.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd think you can't hold them criminally responsible unless you can prove it was intentional. Negligent is one thing, criminal no.