Planescape Torment Kickstarter: A spiritual sequel to be set in Monte Cook's Numenera

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rime

<Donor>
Tyranny feels unfinished but it's very good. I would highly recommend it, even though the obviously missing content and mechanics are a bit odd. I was enjoying the game a lot and then it abruptly ended.. feeling like a game is too short is a good sign IMO.

Hm. Alright. I will probably pick that up for my 'monthly' game purchase and wait on Numenera.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Major patch and officially releases tomorrow. Who's in?

Been on the search for a new RPG for a while to play, and came across this. I haven't followed it at all, or have I played the Early Access, but with as much as people love Planescape, I gotta at least check it out.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Major patch and officially releases tomorrow. Who's in?

Been on the search for a new RPG for a while to play, and came across this. I haven't followed it at all, or have I played the Early Access, but with as much as people love Planescape, I gotta at least check it out.

Wife and I are anxious for it - not "stay up till 3 AM for it to unlock" excited, but definitely looking forward to tomorrow to continue onward with the story from EA.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Waiting for reviews and maybe a sale before I put down $45 for this, but I am very interested.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not sure why this thread isn't exploding with activity. This is the long awaiting sequel to arguably the best RPG of all time.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
like everyone I am a huge fan of the original P:T and backed this one of course. Tide is ... I don't know. Played 14 hours so far and I am not really impressed.
only 3 classes, 3 stats, 3 foci, 5 real (well 6 but...) companions, only 2 cities and 3 dungeons for a total of around 12 maps in the whole game. Only 4-5 combat sequences in the whole game including the tutorial. Practically zero character customization. Skill check mechanics feels very bland. And you can cheese every skill check if you are well rested. Most of the game takes place in a very unity engine looking generic city.
Overall more like an interactive novel than a game. Story - my personal opinion - lacks the finesse and writing of the first one but still is very good compared what I usually see in computer rpgs.

Might want to wait for some reviews from people who finished the game and are not industry boot licker before shelling out 45$ is my advice.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm about 8 hours in and I share some of the same sentiments as Krismunich.

The combat is quite boring. It feels like an afterthought. I get that the game is very story driven, but when conflict does happen I find myself wishing it could have been avoided. It's tedious. Also, my characters will "level" multiple times between fights and a lot of the time I have no idea which skills are worth using or even what they really do.

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm really not sure how I feel about it yet. I will say that the story is interesting, but would have been a lot more engaging if it was voiced.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Only 4-5 combat sequences?? Sounds like that makes it more of an adventure game than a RPG.. I'm not going to get a chance to play until this Friday, but that sounds disappointing..

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
People forget Plainscape had tons of combat.

Plainscape really had everything. That's why it such a well remembered classic.

The setting was the best D&D setting as well, and made more sense than the space based setting, in terms of connecting all the disparate worlds together.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
planescape had combat. but it was horrible, and would have been better without it entirely.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
planescape had combat. but it was horrible, and would have been better without it entirely.

I disagree. While it wasn't on par with many other RPG's in terms of tactical depth, it was fun and engaging. The gear was well done, monsters were interesting, combat animations were good, and god tier spells had cool cut-scenes that felt very rewarding once unlocked. Different NPC combos also provided different tactics.. It wasn't meant to be the highlight of the game obviously, but I didn't find combat a negative aspect of the game at all, quite the contrary.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of my favorite things in the Obsidian/Black Isle games is the variety of classes, the tactical combat, and items. It is a real bummer for me if this game sweeps those aspects under the rug.

Rime

<Donor>
So very much content was 'cut' from this game. Companions (reduced to make those present more 'interesting'), Kickstarter stretch goals (to make those in the game more 'interesting'), foci (A huge part of the Numenera setting), and numerous maps/areas. Seems like it was rushed, even though it took years to get out. Really a disappointment that so much was left on the cutting room floor.

Should wait for a sale on this unless you already have a copy or really, really like visual novels with a sprinkle of exploration/combat.

At least Divinity: Original Sin 2 should be out in the next few months.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I bit the bullet because I have friends who contributed to it. Have not touched it much yet, but its pretty much as stated. Older style story driven game. I am going to try to get into as much combat as possible, just to buck the system, but the fighting is not long on depth and heavily stacked against you when it occurs. Numeneria setting is interesting, story wise, however.