Planetside 2

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Everybody complaining about armour shouldn’t have complained about air farming the living fuck out of armour. Use to take my liberator and dismantle whole 48+ zergs of their armour so the infantry can actually fight.

I get into a dangerous loop when this happens. I get in a great, competitive infantry fight in a base, die either to a tank / A2G , rage and pull something to clear them out. Then by the time I finish up the fight is over and I missed out =\

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Most of the issues with vehicles in this game are due to bad base design and infantry not pulling AA. Tanks can spam spawn points because of base design. A2G is an issue because people rather whine about it then grab AA weapons and use them. A single TR burster MAX is able to keep the skies clear over multiple hexes depending on the terrain.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Most of the issues with vehicles in this game are due to bad base design and infantry not pulling AA. Tanks can spam spawn points because of base design. A2G is an issue because people rather whine about it then grab AA weapons and use them. A single TR burster MAX is able to keep the skies clear over multiple hexes depending on the terrain.

I completely agree, there needs to be a penalty for shelling the spawn room. It's almost like they have no idea how humans work, people are always going to take the path of least resistance. You have to put in systems to keep that kind of shit from happening, same when they bring 4x the people to take a hex. If they had systems in place to negate that battles would be more spread out and more fun.

I also think they screwed the pooch with the base building, they should have made them only build-able between bases that way fights keep flowing rather than stopping after a push back. They also should have added vehicle capture points for each base, so those dickheads would have something to fight over rather than shelling infantry fights.

Last edited:

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
They don't need a system, they just need better base layouts and design. You didn't have tanks shelling spawn rooms in PS1, because the spawn room was underground and there was an entire base sitting on top of it protecting it.

PS1 had clear progression because of the base design. Between base fights were dominated by armor. To breach the court yard (if vehicle shields were up), you needed a combo of infantry and vehicles. Once the attacking side had control, you moved inside to try and take the CC, blow the generator or spawn tubes to stop the defenders. You could bypass some of the progression with Galaxy / Mossie drops, but that was almost impossible to pull off on heavily defended bases simply because of spawn logistics.

You still needed some armor to prevent a flank. But tanks couldn't pin players in the base or spawn by themselves because you had multiple egress points out of the base.

The hodgepodge base design in PS2 is a clusterfuck and confusing as fuck for new players (and sometimes even players like myself that have hundreds of hours logged).

Technology_plant.jpg

The absolutely dumbest thing in PS2 is the 1 way shields they slapped on everything to make up for their bad base layouts.

So all these things are really toxic to your average player in PS2. The frustrating thing is that the game has mechanics that allow organized players to dominate pretty easily (It's trivial to shut down an armor zerg with organized infantry, even before the balance changes). It's just your average player is a fucking lemming, and your average Squad / Platoon leader is retarded.

One of the biggest things hurting PS2 is the lack of good Public Platoon leaders who can read a map, and organize their dudes enough to demonstrate why PlanetSide is a good game. You have small l33tfits that are closed off from those players, who really need to open up and lead Pub Platoons for the health of the game. Then you have large zergfits that swallow up players and ingrain in them really bad techniques and habits.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They don't need a system, they just need better base layouts and design. You didn't have tanks shelling spawn rooms in PS1, because the spawn room was underground and there was an entire base sitting on top of it protecting it.

PS1 had clear progression because of the base design. Between base fights were dominated by armor. To breach the court yard (if vehicle shields were up), you needed a combo of infantry and vehicles. Once the attacking side had control, you moved inside to try and take the CC, blow the generator or spawn tubes to stop the defenders. You could bypass some of the progression with Galaxy / Mossie drops, but that was almost impossible to pull off on heavily defended bases simply because of spawn logistics.

You still needed some armor to prevent a flank. But tanks couldn't pin players in the base or spawn by themselves because you had multiple egress points out of the base.

The hodgepodge base design in PS2 is a clusterfuck and confusing as fuck for new players (and sometimes even players like myself that have hundreds of hours logged).

Technology_plant.jpg

The absolutely dumbest thing in PS2 is the 1 way shields they slapped on everything to make up for their bad base layouts.

So all these things are really toxic to your average player in PS2. The frustrating thing is that the game has mechanics that allow organized players to dominate pretty easily (It's trivial to shut down an armor zerg with organized infantry, even before the balance changes). It's just your average player is a fucking lemming, and your average Squad / Platoon leader is retarded.

One of the biggest things hurting PS2 is the lack of good Public Platoon leaders who can read a map, and organize their dudes enough to demonstrate why PlanetSide is a good game. You have small l33tfits that are closed off from those players, who really need to open up and lead Pub Platoons for the health of the game. Then you have large zergfits that swallow up players and ingrain in them really bad techniques and habits.

Totally agreed on all counts.

Also, gonna leave this here: https://psforever.net

Hekotat

Nice, I might re-install and play some. I have to get a bigger hard drive this black friday.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm back in the game, what server/name you under?

I usually play NC or TR on emerald. I can only play on weekend nights though. I travel for work and my laptop can't handle the game anymore. I have FiresOfHeavenDotOrg on NC, FiresOfHeavenDot0rg on TR.

I still have all my original characters too on both Connery and Emerald(Baconia, etc...I forgot the rest of the names).

Hekotat

I usually play NC or TR on emerald. I can only play on weekend nights though. I travel for work and my laptop can't handle the game anymore. I have FiresOfHeavenDotOrg on NC, FiresOfHeavenDot0rg on TR.

I still have all my original characters too on both Connery and Emerald(Baconia, etc...I forgot the rest of the names).

I'll add those, but you can hit me up on discord if you want to play and I'm not on. I'd rather play with someone than solo.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I wonder if it will be tricksy to tell if they are friend or enemy when you come around a corner and run into one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Damn, I might have to dust off my account when this goes live. Have not played this in like 3-4 yrs.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BTW, I also love that they hired Wrel,(youtube guy) this dude was more passionate about this game than anyone and constantly had ideas in his videos that made sense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

I wish they'd add some kind of attrition to uninhabited hexes when two factions start ganging up on one just to win an alert. Still crazy to me they haven't come up with an idea to discourage that from happening.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Jumped back in for a few today. Took a while to get bearings but joined a platoon, got a few kills, won an alert. Good times. Still tons of peeps playing.

Shooting mechanics are kind of janky compared to more modern shooters, but still feels good to kill. Bonus is no lag with my current rig, lol.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm rank 52, why the hell did it stick me in some vr training thing? I have no idea how to get out of here.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It looks like that's where they stick you when all the real continents are full, and they removed the warpgate terminals from the second floor. You have to go to "world map" in the UI somewhere to get out.