Planetside 2

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Anyone happen to be playing in 3d? My card supports it but monitor does not. Thinking of taking the plunge if its not too expensive. Wanted some input though if anyone's already using it for ps2.
Wont that drop your framerate in half?

Underbarrel grenades are being buggy again and not reloading for me. I've gone back to knifing between reloads, seems to fix the problem for me. Just sucks when a friendly runs in front of me
wink.png

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone happen to be playing in 3d? My card supports it but monitor does not. Thinking of taking the plunge if its not too expensive. Wanted some input though if anyone's already using it for ps2.
I really can't see this turning out well. Lowered framerates, shitty 3d implementation, etc.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hell, I'm still only getting 20% CPU usage while in game and 40%-50% GPU usage as well. I'd definitely wait til they actually optimize it better before taking that jump unless you have other games to play in 3d.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I still think that cert costs are way off for most weapon unlocks. Playing all weekend I can't unlock one 1000 cert weapon, even with the subscription exp bonus. Considering it's just unlocked for that character and class, it's kinda silly.

Upgrading say, mine guard on my sunderer is about right, it's like 50---100---150, etc., so you feel you're making *some* progress.

Hekotat

Well I think they expect everyone to spend some money at some point, just wait until the triple xp weekend and pick you up a station cash card from Walmart.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And... if you can, wait for a good bundle or one of the daily 50% off sales for added dollar stretching.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Which faction are you guys playing on Jaeger? Anyone mind taking some time to show me the ropes? Just finished d/l.

Hekotat

Which faction are you guys playing on Jaeger? Anyone mind taking some time to show me the ropes? Just finished d/l.
Yeah man, we are on TR on Jaeger. I just got off for the night but I'll be on all day tomorrow. and we'll get ya hooked up. Just add Hekotat as a friend and I'll send you a message when I get on.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Will do... in the meantime, any tips on how to start out as a total newb? Class wise? Weapon wise? The guns without any sight at all are brutal, I think i'm at 0 kills, 8 deaths, and to be honest I don't think i've even fired a shot at any enemies at this point, I just die out of nowhere... lol. The map is pretty overwhelming to a beginner as well, I'm just guessing as to where the action will be based on borders/points of interest.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I still think that cert costs are way off for most weapon unlocks. Playing all weekend I can't unlock one 1000 cert weapon, even with the subscription exp bonus. Considering it's just unlocked for that character and class, it's kinda silly.

Upgrading say, mine guard on my sunderer is about right, it's like 50---100---150, etc., so you feel you're making *some* progress.

Well 1000 cert is the most expensive price tag they have. There are weapons starting at 100 I think? But yea if you want a 1000 cert weapon it'll take a few weeks. Same for the highest tiers of some other unlocks like armor or vehicle weapons. You do unlock the weapon on every class that has it available btw. Engineer shares some with light assault and heavy assault, smg are for all classes.

Hekotat

Will do... in the meantime, any tips on how to start out as a total newb? Class wise? Weapon wise? The guns without any sight at all are brutal, I think i'm at 0 kills, 8 deaths, and to be honest I don't think i've even fired a shot at any enemies at this point, I just die out of nowhere... lol. The map is pretty overwhelming to a beginner as well, I'm just guessing as to where the action will be based on borders/points of interest.
Your best bet is to stick with the zerg until you figure stuff out, running around solo will get you killed a shitload until you know what's going on and even then a well organized group can push your shit in.

I'm on now if you want to send me a friend invite(Hekotat).

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stick with the zerg, run as an non-aggressive engi or medic.

Engi will teach you where important points are (generators to repair/take, staging points to drop ammo at, what happens to fools who use the manna turret as anything but it's alt-fire ammo drop, etc) and will generate solid noob exp/hr while you're cleaning up after the cap team, repairing bases, and catching back up to the front.

Medic will be closer to the front, and teach you where the kill zones are (as you rez wave after wave of idiots who run through door X and die). Exp generation can better or worse depending on various factors.

Engi weapons are mainly shared with Light assault, doing you double duty.

After you've bought some of the 1 point almost-freebies, get a 1x or 2x reflex sight on your gun. Even though most of the default guns are pure garbage for several factions/classes and you'll likely never use it again once you buy/unlock a new gun; that "wasted" 30 pts will help you in the long run.

Once you're spending more time alive than dead, and have a good feel for how the default weapons work/kill/handle, start using your trial to test other weapons, and compare how they work in real situations (rather than just going by the near worthless listed description and "stats")

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
The map is really good at telling you what is going on, you just have to take the time to look at everything.

-Flashing Hexes have enemy activity. You can mouse over it to see the size of the enemy force.
Enemies Detected < Squad Detected < Squads < Platoon < Platoons.

-Hexes with a fight going on will show bubble flashes of engagements by faction color. This will give you a rough idea of how even the fight is currently.

Classwise medics and engineers are great if you want to play support. You run around healing, reviving, repairing. You'll get tons of xp and people around you will love you, especially if you're a medic. Combatwise, Light Assault is great starting out since you can fly up to the high ground and 75% of people never look up. Trees, roofs, doorways... use your imagination.

In general, always aim for the head.
Vehicles take more damage from behind.
Running around out in the open is inviting death, because there is always someone hiding, sniping, or about to drop in on top of you even if you're completely surrounded by friendlies or in a safe area. Always be ready to duck for cover, especially if there is actively enemy engagements going on. Surprise is everything.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Hell, I'm still only getting 20% CPU usage while in game and 40%-50% GPU usage as well. I'd definitely wait til they actually optimize it better before taking that jump unless you have other games to play in 3d.
Anyone who still has framerate issues (and a PC less than half a dozen years old), open up your Useroptions.ini and replace everything under {rendering} with:
GraphicsQuality=5
TextureQuality=0
TerrainLOD=5
FloralDistanceScale=2.000000
ShadowQuality=1
RenderDistance=1000.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=120
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=5
EffectsQuality=5
TerrainQuality=5
FloraQuality=5
ModelQuality=5
MotionBlurQuality=5
BlurQuality=5
AOQuality=5
AmbientOcclusionQuality=5
ParticleQuality=5
VerticalFOV=74
FloralLOD=5
EffectsLOD=5
ParticleLOD=5
ParticleDistanceScale=2.000000
EffectsDistanceScale=2.000000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=1
VSync=1
AO=1
GpuPhysics=0

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
What does that do? If I have no framerate issues should I do it anyhow? I may skip out on the 3d.. I have heard from a few guys at work that in BF3 the 3d effects are almost too overwhelming. It's something I was interested in, but wanted input from actual gamers before taking the plunge.

In regards to PS2.. the more I play the more I learn. I am getting the hang of the bases and they are becoming less gigantic and overwhelming to me as I understand each of the points and their purposes. Also, I am becoming a better pilot slowly but surely, aside from combat which makes me choke and crash/die every time. I wish you guys in ARGO were west coast, I log in frequently when noone else is on so I end up rolling with tt6 or traf. They're alright but definitely more sloppy.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I started playing when someone mentioned PS2 in another thread. I actually ended up picking the right server, but the wrong faction (VS).

Couple comments and then maybe some advice.

I started with Light Assault. By far my favorite class in BF2 and 2142 was the spec ops; foot mobile, C4, very versatile, and a decent general purpose weapon that was good at range or CQC, but not better than specialty weapons designed for those situations (i.e. You could pick off non-snipers from a distance, and gun down them close in). LA seemed like a good match for my play-style.

It was hell. I struggled for a LOT for the first few days. I decided to hold off buying anything until I figured out what I wanted to do, and this made it even worse. I nearly quit when it looked like, early on, I would only ever kill anyone with the HA because of the added HP from the shield.

After a few days the game FINALLY started making sense, you pick up on the layouts, where people come from and the general lanes of movement and so on. At that point I switched back to playing more Light Assault, and now that I sort of knew where to attack from, where to flank, and where to run. LA is so damn tactical that unless you know the battlefield disposition you are just going to die, repeatedly, and without accomplishing anything.

I still am only a few days in, unlocked my first C4 and a pair of cheap sights. Things are VERY expensive. I am uncertain what gun to unlock first. I play VS so the choice is between slug-gun, shotgun, and VX6-7. I am really tempted to pick up the carbine first because it is more versatile and I can use it with an engineer. However, shot-gun seems to wreck multiple people up close, so I am not quite sure.

Second thing is I am in Europe, so my ping to Jaeger averages about 108ms. Not bad at all but my ping to EU servers is around 35ms, pretty much a third. The problem I have with the EU servers is that the people aren't very chatty or friendly. Often times on the EU server (Miller) I feel like I am playing solo even in a nearly full Platoon. That isn't to say that people are always great on Jaeger, or never talk on Miller, but there is a marked difference.

What I am saying is I like playing on Jaeger more, but I have a much better connection to Miller. Do you guys think the extra ~70ms is that big a deal? It didn't feel all that big a difference to me when testing. Thoughts

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For most fps 100 ms ping is fine. I don't know where the server is tuned at to send reponses. Lower ping is better they say but a ping is different from the amount of time it takes to send a frame. Info.I usually just go on good ol fashion feel.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Denaut unless you absolutely insist to keep this F2P I would hold off on buying guns and instead spend the certs on some other upgrades for now, and hope for a triple station cash event before Easter (just a few weeks until then). that way you can turn like $10 into 3k station cash which buys 4-6 guns. Should mean you are set for a long time unless you diversify into every vehicle and faction.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
So far (only 2 days in), i'm finding sniping to be really effective in this game vs other FPS's i've recently played. You can easily sneak behind enemy lines, or flank them, and stay in place for a LONG time just picking off people out of position. I ran out of ammo twice last night (60 rounds I believe for each?), and had a pretty good kill streak going just by going to out of the way areas and setting up shop. It was really effective, I could see guys doing 360deg. turns trying to find me... Pretty hilarious.

I'm liking this game a lot. If the guns are all sidegrades though as they promote, i'm not sure what would hook me for the long term though. Having said that, so far i'm having a blast.