Planetside 2

Opimo_sl

shitlord
This game does wonders for performance by using all low-poly vehicle and base geometry. But they should release higher quality textures. On video cards with 4gb of memory, high quality textures have almost 0 impact on rendering performance.
Textures used to be higher resolution. They did a performance pass and lowered the resolution on all of them. It also has to do with how the textures are applied to vehicles.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Hadn't played this in about a year and I stumbled back upon it when I was cleaning off my hard drive. After a few hours of patching, I jumped back into this with both feet. Rolled around last night with 2 other guys in a battle bus, fighting for 'merica and killing Vanu swine. Game is still pretty horrible solo, but get a few like minded people working together and it still a hell of a good night.
I logged on today, and there were 0 decent platoons on NC. If that happens, normally running solo is boring, but spawning an Air to Ground ESF and finding small fights to farm is quite fun.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game is even more awesome once you start getting good at it. I had a 1.7 K/D ratio over a 3 hour span.

I still need to figure out what VS weapons are good. What LMG should I be using on my heavy? Or should I not use an LMG and stick to a carbine?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What server you on Mist?

Go to the VR training area and try all the weapons out.

Carbine
Serpent CQC
Pulsar C Medium range

Assault Rifle
HV45 CQC
Pulsar VS1 or Terminus Medium range

LMG
Orion
Orion
Orion
If not Orion then SVA-88
If you use the Orion first it's going to ruin all the other LMG's for you, I aurauxiumed it last, and it was glorious.

SMG
NS-7 PDW

Your personal preferences may vary.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I downloaded the PS4 version. I just couldn't play it though, ugh controllers. Granted everyone ELSE will be on controllers too but just felt so clunky

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What server you on Mist?

Go to the VR training area and try all the weapons out.

Carbine
Serpent CQC
Pulsar C Medium range

Assault Rifle
HV45 CQC
Pulsar VS1 or Terminus Medium range

LMG
Orion
Orion
Orion
If not Orion then SVA-88
If you use the Orion first it's going to ruin all the other LMG's for you, I aurauxiumed it last, and it was glorious.

SMG
NS-7 PDW

Your personal preferences may vary.
I'm on Emerald.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My character's name is Iji. I made it the first day but stopped playing after BR20 because of early performance issues. Having a name that tiny was a huge advantage in APB so I stuck with it for shooters, but it's not that big of a benefit in this game.

kaxfenix

N00b
Play TR on Emerald. Name is Cowtown running a combat medic..... I really suck at this game but I have a lot of fun playing..

Lohk_sl

shitlord
I played back when it released for about 6 months and left because of performance issues and battle flow seemed to suck.

What are some of the big changes they've made? is it worth coming back to?

edit: Played TR mostly

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would say most of the gameflow problems were fixed, and all of the performance problems as long as you have a GTX 760 or better and a decent CPU.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Not digging TR on emerald, it has rarely been a winning battle, we just get out populated within minutes of capping or trying to capture something. Only upside is if I hang back I get a ton of XP just reviving but that is boring.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yea, it's a good idea to swap aorund factions if one is not doing too well. But from what I can tell the fights are much less zergy on Emerald.

I look forward to playing with ya'll, or farming you this weekend.

As for the person asking about what changed since launch, so many things including many weapons, I would recommend hoping on now and checking it out because the game is in a really good place right now.