Planetside 2

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Been playing for the last two weeks. It's fun and frustrating at the same time. The only non-standard weapon I have is the first VS bolt sniper rifle - everything else I use is the standard issue gun. And it sucks. I can empty damn near an entire clip as a HI, ENG, or Medic, into someone, they'll turn around and have me dead in .5 sec with 2-3 bullets. Bleh.
I live on an island, and picked the wrong coast server, so with a constant 200-400ms ping, I've learned the only way I can win 1v1 is to play cheap as hell. One hit kills are your friend. I run engineer with the under-barrel grenade launcher. Even with shitty lag I can pop out, toss a grenade at the person and it either kills them in one direct hit (even with top flak armor) or misses slightly, and softens them up enough that it only takes 2 bullets to finish the job when they run around the corner. (EDIT: Just remember it has to travel 10m before it arms, otherwise it hurts about as much as a knife. Wish they'd do that with HA rockets QQ!!)

Plus engies make good exp repairing maxxes (double so if it's a squadmate).

Another good source of exp is overloading generators. Don't listen to people bitching that the base will flip so don't destroy anything. You get like what, 600 for destroying it, then more for repairs :p

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I've found ENG exp to be the fastest by far for me, and even though I love doing the sniper thing, I often feel like I'm contributing much more by being an ENG in many of the really big battles I've been in. The one thing that confuses me, however, is at some point I stop gaining exp from ammo drops. I haven't yet been able to figure out what triggers it. It's not time based, that I know. Sometimes it happens kinda fast, other times it takes a long time (if ever) to happen. But is there a general exp cap from ammo within a certain time frame, or a cap per other player, or what? Don't know. I also sometimes get locked out of even dropping ammo if I use the gun tripod/ammo slot where I can't choose that slot (#5) for some unknown reason.

I had completely forgotten ENG even have a weapon capable of launching grenades - I'll have to look and see which that is. It's just hard because there are a lot of different guns I'd like to get and they are all expensive. Guess that's where the FTP part comes in!

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
... at some point I stop gaining exp from ammo drops. I haven't yet been able to figure out what triggers it.
It's to prevent 2 people from farming free points for too long, or cert padding, whatever. I think it's a point amount, not time. So if you drop an ammo pack in a zerg, it'll stop giving you points much faster.

I also sometimes get locked out of even dropping ammo if I use the gun tripod/ammo slot where I can't choose that slot (#5) for some unknown reason.
This happens to me a lot. Notice when you first click to put the ammo or turret down, it's grey and takes 2 seconds to drop? If you die in that 2 seconds it'll bug out and from now on you can't drop ammo until logging. Or maybe switching classes at the terminal. I've always relogged :p

I had completely forgotten ENG even have a weapon capable of launching grenades - I'll have to look and see which that is. It's just hard because there are a lot of different guns I'd like to get and they are all expensive. Guess that's where the FTP part comes in!
For TR it's the Trac-5s. For the other factions, just cycle through the guns, the description will say something like 'most configurable' or whatever. From there you can preview the rail attachments. Keep in mind it's a slightly worse gun than the default(Trac-5 has slightly faster firing speed for example). It's the price you pay for the grenade option.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
A great gun for TR engineers is the Jag. For the medic the most popular weapon is the Tar. For farming, a Marauder Harasser is good xp too. If you have 2 people and 13k each, running a liebrator crew that can shoot down ESF and Liberators is by far my best farming too. Insanely high skill ceiling, but some of the best lulz you will ever get to experience in a game.

Mikey78_sl

shitlord
I have used the orion forever as vs heavy and liked it a lot. . .until I just bought the sv-88 and it freaking rocks. Saving up for nano 5 now for heavy and adding certs to my harasser as I can.

graffiti_sl

shitlord
If I don't nab an EQN beta I'll be doing the same, coming for a huge PS1 fan is this version worth getting into ? Interested in grouping up with you guys, what server/factions ?

Some interesting changes, might have to give it a go if they don't throw out beta for EQ:N this weekend. Where is everyone playing now?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can u play this game without paying, or do you fall behind too much?
Yes you can and a good chunk of friends refuse to spend a penny but I would suggest try the game out first before spending a dime to see if you like it.(as any FTP) If you like it go premium.

BTW The Rerolled guys at the SOE live Devil Dog party good times<3 Some guy from Triton gave me a Blackburrow Stout.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I haven't spent any money yet in the game and have been playing on and off since launch, you can get everything with certs excluding skins. Of course certs come slow sometimes but there's plenty of ways to get a ton of certs.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Uh I don't forsee a EQ:N beta for AT LEAST 6 months, most likely longer.
Likely longer is the biggest understatement possible. We saw a tech demo with two models, three partial zones, 4ish skills, and no monster AI.

I'd guess nobody will be playing any form of EQN in the next 2 years. Talk about blowing your load early.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I'm finally saving up my certs until I get 1k (at like 450ish now), what should I bust my first load on? I play ENG out of necessity (lag) and easy exp, but I enjoy riding around in Magriders, and Infiltrator is my favorite class. As a VS, what's a great bang for my buck?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I'm finally saving up my certs until I get 1k (at like 450ish now), what should I bust my first load on? I play ENG out of necessity (lag) and easy exp, but I enjoy riding around in Magriders, and Infiltrator is my favorite class. As a VS, what's a great bang for my buck?
Either dump everything into your repair tool or buy the sirius SMG for your infil and eng @ 1000 certs. (Adv laser/soft point/no need for scope and hipfire...same with NC's Blitz SMG)

I'd go both those in either order if that is your playstyle. SMG + infil is digusting.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I swear I keep wanting to log in, but I go to patch and I get about 1mb every 3-6 seconds, with 8,000 MB to download and I always end up closing it. Keep forgetting to just leave it on overnight.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Fully upgraded repair tool is most definitely nice if you're repairing a lot. It isn't totally necessary but there's less downtime. (can repair a turret to full in just two repairs with one cooldown)

I main engi and aside from the default rifle engi starts with, the repair tool got fully upgraded for me and then I bought mines. 2 mines will kill anything without under-armor so I still haven't bought a 3rd one yet. That's really about it tbh aside from standard suit upgrades. The Sirius SMG that Regime mentioned is a fucking nasty weapon. Pretty decent at medium range but anything within 10ft or so is dead without even scoping. I'm only 40 certs away from finally buying that bad boy
biggrin.png

Oh and the anti-vehicle turret upgrade is alright if you use that a lot. Reduced the cooldown between shots by 4.5 sec at max rank.

p0wl_sl

shitlord
I've just started up as a medic, made it to BR6 over the past night or two. What do you all feel is the best thing to spend my certs on? I've updated my medic tool to level 3 and was thinking about saving up for the revive grenades.

Freki_sl

shitlord
I've just started up as a medic, made it to BR6 over the past night or two. What do you all feel is the best thing to spend my certs on? I've updated my medic tool to level 3 and was thinking about saving up for the revive grenades.
Get the 1Cert upgrades for your suit asap - best bang for your buck. Settle on one rifle you like and get sights and attachments for it.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Sirius SMG that Regime mentioned is a fucking nasty weapon. Pretty decent at medium range but anything within 10ft or so is dead without even scoping. I'm only 40 certs away from finally buying that bad boy
biggrin.png

Oh and the anti-vehicle turret upgrade is alright if you use that a lot. Reduced the cooldown between shots by 4.5 sec at max rank.
If you play NC or VS the "Blitz and Sirus" are just disgustingly OP. The hipfire allows the user to just spray n pray in a tight CoF. The TR hailstorm is decent but not as good. Thankfully the Jaguar/TRV/TAR is awesome for the eng/la/medics so it's not as much a big deal. The best part about the SMGs is that you can use it on all the classes so starting out it's a cheap cert weapon. Best bang for your buck when you roll a new character.

yep the AV turret cooldown is awesome because it allows you to be a sneaky git and KS that large crowd of maxes.

p0wl_sl

shitlord
Get the 1Cert upgrades for your suit asap - best bang for your buck. Settle on one rifle you like and get sights and attachments for it.
How did I miss those? Heh. I'll start looking in to the rifles this evening.

Thanks for your help!

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Definitely spend some time in the VR training area trying out various guns before you purchase one. You can try them all for free. Obviously you won't get combat experience with them but you can at least get a general feel for them and maybe save yourself certs/station cash on buying one that you don't like.