PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This game is finally releasing on March 23rd. I can't wait to play it!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Been in beta last few months, haven't launched it until today. It's very... loose right now. Looting can be a pain compared to H1 in terms of power balance. Several games I couldn't find a rifle/helmet after 5-10 minutes and then died to some one completely geared. Mouse feels like it keeps moving when you stop. Their movement system is made to counter bunny hopping arcade shit, which is fine, but still sluggish and needs more work. Optimization is definitely improving beta to beta (from friends who played earlier in beta) but still with everything medium-low my GTX 970 is getting murdered with anywhere from 25-35fps most of the time.

I understand where it wants to be and it's getting there, but they definitely need to tune shit up a lot. Still way more done for this games UI while still in CB than H1 has had in 3 years.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You might be able to snag a beta key here: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS – Beta Key Giveaway (Steam)

The beta ends tomorrow morning I guess though.

I was able to snag one from there. I like it a lot but the performance like others have said is really poor. I'm have a GTX1080 and have to play it on low to get 70-80 fps. Over the course of pre-alpha and beta they've made huge strides in this game so I'm confident they'll shore up the performance during early access.

I already think it's better than H1Z1 as there are fuckton more weapons in this game compared to H1Z1 and it seems a lot of them are viable. Where as in H1Z1 wasn't it the M1 and AK really the only viable weapons? I remember shotguns being terrible even if you got the jump on somebody up close.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
H1 has the AR15, and the AK47. The AK47 is not reliable and the AR15 is basically the only weapon worth using outside of shotgun for close quarters (less than 20 feet) and the magnum for destroying people long range and cars (both getting nerfed on PTR right now). The problem with this game IS the weapon variability. The dude who gets a rifle with a 4x scope is going to win against anyone with anything else. You have a KAR bolt action sniper? Oh. No scope. Worthless. AK47? Better be hugging them, without a 4x you're fucked beyond 100 feet and beyond the 2nd bullet.

The way the game broke down for me this weekend was:

Land ---> Hope you're alone, if not, you're probably dead
Enter building ----> hope you get a shotgun to defend yourself against the guy who is near you (their landing/spawning is pretty rough right now)
Get weapon ---> It's a handgun, sorry! Good luck!
Get ready for fight, see guy, aim... and... ----> You hit him twice! He headshot you! You didn't have a helmet. Sorry! But there were 19 pairs of pants in your 4 story apartment building!

or

You won the fight! ----> You have bandages, no other healing. You can only heal to 75%
Oh no a guy----> Hope you looted the first guy and all his attachments and set your gun up/reloaded it
Guy is coming in---> You fight! You hit him twice! He hit you twice. You're dead. You were at 75%
Back to lobby ----> Enjoy audio bugs in the starting lobby!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Let me elaborate:

(There's collision in the game between players so I walked up to him until I couldn't get closer, so I definitely wasn't whiffing)

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
its probably like h1z1's melee and all hitscan. H1z1 is going to be changing theirs soon because that shit just is a bitch to try to hit someone with a melee weapon. haha

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
You might be able to snag a beta key here: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS – Beta Key Giveaway (Steam)

The beta ends tomorrow morning I guess though.

I was able to snag one from there. I like it a lot but the performance like others have said is really poor. I'm have a GTX1080 and have to play it on low to get 70-80 fps. Over the course of pre-alpha and beta they've made huge strides in this game so I'm confident they'll shore up the performance during early access.

I already think it's better than H1Z1 as there are fuckton more weapons in this game compared to H1Z1 and it seems a lot of them are viable. Where as in H1Z1 wasn't it the M1 and AK really the only viable weapons? I remember shotguns being terrible even if you got the jump on somebody up close.
shotguns can be a bit buggy, but when they are working correctly they are the best close range weapon in the game. i have destroyed whole teams with a shotgun playing teams. 1 clip and killed the whole team inside the hospital stairs. Killed 3 at the top, jumped off the roof (took alot of damage) ran back up the stairs and finished off the last 2. If you do get a buggy shotgun, your fucked though. lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
H1 has the AR15, and the AK47. The AK47 is not reliable and the AR15 is basically the only weapon worth using outside of shotgun for close quarters (less than 20 feet) and the magnum for destroying people long range and cars (both getting nerfed on PTR right now). The problem with this game IS the weapon variability. The dude who gets a rifle with a 4x scope is going to win against anyone with anything else. You have a KAR bolt action sniper? Oh. No scope. Worthless. AK47? Better be hugging them, without a 4x you're fucked beyond 100 feet and beyond the 2nd bullet.

The way the game broke down for me this weekend was:

Land ---> Hope you're alone, if not, you're probably dead
Enter building ----> hope you get a shotgun to defend yourself against the guy who is near you (their landing/spawning is pretty rough right now)
Get weapon ---> It's a handgun, sorry! Good luck!
Get ready for fight, see guy, aim... and... ----> You hit him twice! He headshot you! You didn't have a helmet. Sorry! But there were 19 pairs of pants in your 4 story apartment building!

or

You won the fight! ----> You have bandages, no other healing. You can only heal to 75%
Oh no a guy----> Hope you looted the first guy and all his attachments and set your gun up/reloaded it
Guy is coming in---> You fight! You hit him twice! He hit you twice. You're dead. You were at 75%
Back to lobby ----> Enjoy audio bugs in the starting lobby!

Well from the 30 or so hours I watched streamers all weekend this simply is not true. While yes, there are preferred guns and optics, like the M16 and 4x, Ive seen people take down 10 people in the final 3 circles having AK and holo. Last night I watched a duo win the fucking round with one dude left the final 2 circles and he had 32 bullets left for his M16, and none for the final guy (the dude tried to slam him with car and hit a tree and died).

The key IMO to winning in this game is a good start, which means to jump to the most far away places on the map, equip your shit, then drive back to the circles and set up. If you are only jumping into the popular places like school, or crater or tunnels every time, prepare to have a short game. Another way is to jump for car, drive to far away place, loot, then drive back.

From what I have seen this is far superior game to H1Z, the gun play is better, and the games can go many ways unlike H1Z which is the same shit every time.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well from the 30 or so hours I watched streamers all weekend this simply is not true. While yes, there are preferred guns and optics, like the M16 and 4x, Ive seen people take down 10 people in the final 3 circles having AK and holo. Last night I watched a duo win the fucking round with one dude left the final 2 circles and he had 32 bullets left for his M16, and none for the final guy (the dude tried to slam him with car and hit a tree and died).

The key IMO to winning in this game is a good start, which means to jump to the most far away places on the map, equip your shit, then drive back to the circles and set up. If you are only jumping into the popular places like school, or crater or tunnels every time, prepare to have a short game. Another way is to jump for car, drive to far away place, loot, then drive back.

From what I have seen this is far superior game to H1Z, the gun play is better, and the games can go many ways unlike H1Z which is the same shit every time.

I too, was watching Summit. You're talking about Summit. Summit has like 3 days played of this game and infinity hours of Arma BR (which this was based off) and DayZ mods and shit. This is what he does. This is like watching Lebron James play against a highschool basketball team and go "oh yeah, most people can probably do that, too!"

You are right. The key to this game is basically going as far away from people at the beginning, hopefully getting decent gear, then getting a car if the circle is far off. That's fine, but the fact that everybody basically can drop within distance of everyone else. They added a 'fast-paced' element to a slow burn game. Not the best idea.

If you however land far away and don't get a car or sufficient meds, you're in deep shit. Currently the circle is just too fast beyond the initial blue circle. It becomes way too hectic for a game supposedly based on tactics. You go from "I want this ridgeline with this building as cover and I can watch this canyon" to "oh I want.. fuck, the circle's moving and I can't top off because I don't have stims or a drink! I have to run! Oh, guys in the circle see me, I'm dead! Cool!" H1's circles are much, much better paced. They become a factor only in late game and not mid-game when you're still trying to find gear.

As for the gunplay? I would say it CAN be better and is overall better, but some shit is super wonky still. I KAR'd a guy 3 times in the chest (lvl 1 vest on him) and he lived. I did it in succession. With the bolt reload that's like 7 fucking seconds to do and he still ended up SCAR spraying me because I had a red dot and he had a mag scope.

Basically I think for most people watching Summit/Sacriel/Cloak is giving the wrong impression of this game. I only played 12 hours this weekend, but that's enough for me to see some issues that aren't coming out for streamers as much. Then again, people only think of the streamers highlight moments and not the games where they get 16th, 27th, and 7th because they were running in a field and then instantly dead. I watched it happen to Summit twice last night. That's the game's reality for most people unless you have everything you need and are everywhere you need to be. I was hopeful TTK in this game would be a lot slower than H1 for long drawn out battles, but it's not. In fact with the lack of available healing I haven't seen many shootouts last more than 15-30 seconds at MAX. I've fought the same guy in H1 for minutes. MINUTES. Why? We had extra helmets (you can't carry extra anything in this game armor wise), extra components to make armor (no crafting armor in this game), and 10+ med kits and 50+ bandages. It was more thrilling than anything I've experienced in this game so far which is unfortunate because that's what I THOUGHT would be happening. This game is currently set up to be an ambusher-takes-all type of game which encourages camping and hiding and I ain't into that.

Overall I don't think this game is horrible, but I'm not buying it this week. I give myself a 75% chance of buying it in the future, maybe even within a month or two, but right now there's too much that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's got RNG on RNG whereas in H1 I just needed an helmet, med kit, and AR to be ready to fight anyone from any range. I think a lot of 'action' streamers like Doc will probably go back to H1 relatively quickly because of the pace of this game. It's just dreadfully slow which makes getting shot twice and dying to a silencer even worse when you've invested 20 minutes into a game. I've got 2000+ hours of H1 and over 500 wins and trust me, I could write even MORE about what's wrong with that game, but it still holds my attention currently. I can go into that game and try to kill 10+ people and engage in fights and not worry about instant death from behind.

TL;DR

Streamers are making this look a LOT easier than it is. There's a lot of RNG stuff that hampers the game. It's very slow and prone to "but where did he even shoot me from?!?!" moments. I'm not discouraging anyone from buying it, I say go for it, I'm just trying to warn people that Summit etc are making it look like you can get right in and start winning.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I can go into that game and try to kill 10+ people and engage in fights and not worry about instant death from behind.

That's a bad thing imo. If someone drops on you from behind you should be dead, unless they are just bad. Not be able to 180 then kill them or have some 25 second fight after the ambush. or run into a fight of 10+.

Fight's can last decently log in this game if you have cover, because you can medkit/drink/painkiller up. Sure you can't re-armor , but that's fine.

You claim TTK is too short and fights too short, then say "I think a lot of 'action' streamers like Doc will probably go back to H1 relatively quickly because of the pace of this game. It's just dreadfully slow". If anything this game is much more face paced, because of how quickly circles close after the first one and TTKs.

It's insanely hetic when the 2nd or 3rd circle is coming and its a mad scramble to get safe. Quite the adrenaline rush.

Imo my only gripe would be to tweak weapon drops. You can go through 4-5 houses sometimes and come out empty handed(worse when playing in the squad mode). But that can easily be tweaked.H1z1 was horrid at launch also with rng aspects of getting guns/equipment. I don't want a loot pinata, but enough where after 1 or 2 houses, you should have some kind of weapon and after 4-5 at least one long range weapon. Especially on squad maps, since unless you drop in very popular places, its very rough gearing out 4 people in even a medium spot(bunkers, crates etc).

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
You claim TTK is too short and fights too short, then say "I think a lot of 'action' streamers like Doc will probably go back to H1 relatively quickly because of the pace of this game. It's just dreadfully slow".

Yes. You spend forever looking through houses for a 4x/8x and painkillers and then you're running to the safe zone, watching your back constantly until you're lucky and hear a fight or are unlucky and are dead. Even more of this game is running and looting than it is in H1. H1 allows you to get gear and get hunting. Allowing you to accumulate loot through the people you kill. This game there is much less potential to kill people overall so you're forced to do much of the looting yourself. And even then it can all be over in an instant with a sniper rifle from a window.

H1's poor gunplay helps make it much harder to instagib people, which I enjoy because it means I have a CHANCE if some one opens up on me and doesn't 2 tap my head. This game is much less so. I only played 2's and several times I wasn't even in a downed state for more than .5 seconds.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
No clue man, I duo or squad and bleed out of downed state quite a bit, mainly because partner is trying to either kill or force other team back so he has time to heal me. It's very rare I am downed then instantly killed.

Most of my loot comes form kills I'd say. After the intial rush of looting, get something decent(1 gun, with a pistol/shot/uzi, backpack and some ammo and maybe heal item or 2), then can usually fill the gaps as you move with kills. Especially for things like medkits/boosts or 4x/8x scopes.

And I am pretty bad at this game so far, nothing close to what you see at the top.

Curious if its a hardware limitation for say not being able to drop 200 on the map, from 2 planes. Would make things even crazier. Already with 100 if you try to drop into popular/big places, it's a mad dash to a gun first(though You see a lot of punch kills funnily enough at the start).

Xevy

Log Wizard
Here's some of Summit's win videos you were referring to:

dubz with shroud - @summit1g

and bush baby

dubz with shroud - @summit1g

Edit: Here's my 2's stats so far this weekend. Awesome they have this data, H1 doesn't track shit outside of solo which I don't even play anymore. You can glean your own info from my stats like travel time, vehicle time, etc.

LKivGPX

Last edited:

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Bush one is hilarious. Like no one spots him at all. Silencers are crazy but you would think they would at least see him, especially when he goes from prone to crouch. Though maybe they all have foliage on high, so makes it much harder to see people in bushes.

Buddies played the first few hours with foliage and stuff on ultra and they just kept screaming about not being able to see anyone at all, when I could with no problem.

Rofl that first one, the guy killed himself running his car into the tree.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
People say its just different, not better or worse. I think the 2 games complement each other. But from what I saw the gunplay is better, no bunny hopping around like monkeys spamming shotty shots and shit like that.

Last edited:

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
That and no lets drive a car full speed right at you, jump out while going full speed and proceed to jump around shooting you.

Was quite funny to try in this game first time, jumped out and the car ran me over. If you jump out going any kind of speed you take damage(if it doesn't run you over) depending on speed.

Xevy

Log Wizard
People say its just different, not better or worse. I think the 2 games complement each other. But from what I saw the gunplay is better, no bunny hopping around like monkeys spamming shotty shots and shit like that.

I agree with this assessment. They're the same idea implemented in different ways. If their dev team keeps pace on adjustments they've been making it'll easily pass H1 in reliability and popularity fairly soon though.