Playstation 5

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
for new ps5 owners be aware installing new games is still a bit janky as hell, make sure you are always installing/downloading the PS5 edition of a game. Its a bit better now with a prompt but its still way too easy to have both versions installed. PS5 versions of a game have no suffix, like "Hitman 3", while PS4 editions (if there is a PS5 version) will have "PS4" as a suffix. Unfortunately if there is ONLY a ps4 version (99% of games) you won't see a suffix at all.

The "..." next to the play button is your best friend, it lets you quickly switch between ps4/ps5 versions so you can make sure you have the right version installed.

external drives seem fine now, i've had one hooked up (back USB port) for 2 months and no issues. I still rarely put the console in rest mode though, a lot of people still report the system randomly shutting down in rest mode forcing a drive integrity check, which can lead to more errors. So almost all the time I shut my ps5 off instead of putting it into rest mode.
God that sounds so janky. How they fucked up simple backwards compatibility is ridiculous.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
$27 for 12 Months. I'm good for another 2 years.

So, why can't I log into paypal or use my credit card for their "secure checkout"?

[Edit] Wow that was a complete pain in the ass. Had to use Incognito for it to finally work. Worth it!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So, why can't I log into paypal or use my credit card for their "secure checkout"?

[Edit] Wow that was a complete pain in the ass. Had to use Incognito for it to finally work. Worth it!

I’ll give incognito a shot, I was having the same problem. Are you using Visa with PayPal?

*edit: I can't get it to work either way through Incognito, paypal or visa direct.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So seems I managed to snag one of these. Was checking this weekend out of boredom for some info and saw a tweet about being a fairly large shipment to various shops here in France this week, so added the discord thing, missed a notification this morning while I was doing some garden shit(figures I go out like 10mins for the first time in a week and that was when an offer went up), so was checking discord about people arguing whether or not there were actual consoles and the usual bullshit, and then another notification popped for Amazon, and got in somehow on basically my first "try". Pretty lucky I guess. Not even sure what I'm gonna play on it, should probably look into sales/low prices for PS4 games to begin with and I'll grab Demon Souls later.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So seems I managed to snag one of these. Was checking this weekend out of boredom for some info and saw a tweet about being a fairly large shipment to various shops here in France this week, so added the discord thing, missed a notification this morning while I was doing some garden shit(figures I go out like 10mins for the first time in a week and that was when an offer went up), so was checking discord about people arguing whether or not there were actual consoles and the usual bullshit, and then another notification popped for Amazon, and got in somehow on basically my first "try". Pretty lucky I guess. Not even sure what I'm gonna play on it, should probably look into sales/low prices for PS4 games to begin with and I'll grab Demon Souls later.

FFVII: Remake and Immortals Fenyx Rising are the two on my list.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FFVII: Remake and Immortals Fenyx Rising are the two on my list.
Yeah when I was looking at the PS4 games on Amazon I remembered FF7R. Now the issue is, I can pay for PS plus for a month and get it for free, but then I won't get the PS5 upgrade later on. Or I can buy the PS4 version right now, and it'll upgrade. But if it drops a bunch in price inbetween, I could get the PS Plus version, then buy it, and still save money, but if it doesn't drop that much then I'd just be losing money. Tough choice, although PS plus comes with another game I was very slightly interested in, Remnant From the Ashes so I'll probably do that then see if I can grab FF7 for cheaper.

There's quite a few other games on my list, God of War, Horizon Dawn although I can get that on PC but the 2nd one isn't ported yet, Ghosts of Tsukishima and then maybe a few other smaller titles I just don't know when I'll play them.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Yeah when I was looking at the PS4 games on Amazon I remembered FF7R. Now the issue is, I can pay for PS plus for a month and get it for free, but then I won't get the PS5 upgrade later on. Or I can buy the PS4 version right now, and it'll upgrade. But if it drops a bunch in price inbetween, I could get the PS Plus version, then buy it, and still save money, but if it doesn't drop that much then I'd just be losing money. Tough choice, although PS plus comes with another game I was very slightly interested in, Remnant From the Ashes so I'll probably do that then see if I can grab FF7 for cheaper.

There's quite a few other games on my list, God of War, Horizon Dawn although I can get that on PC but the 2nd one isn't ported yet, Ghosts of Tsukishima and then maybe a few other smaller titles I just don't know when I'll play them.
You can just buy FF7 now and get the upgrade free later. Don't think it will get cheaper than 30 for a little while. I would rather play the free one on PSN right now and get PS5 version later with the Yuffie stuff if I like it enough.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can just buy FF7 now and get the upgrade free later. Don't think it will get cheaper than 30 for a little while. I would rather play the free one on PSN right now and get PS5 version later with the Yuffie stuff if I like it enough.
Yeah yeah that's what I was saying.

Btw speaking of this, anyone knows how the PS Plus shit like this works? Can I log in the PS5 and claim the PS4 version of FF7R from that, or do I have to rummage through the boxes in my garage to find my old ass PS4, plug it in, then log in, spend god knows how long updating this piece of shit, just so I can claim it on that so I can play it on PS5 after?

joz123

Potato del Grande
Yeah yeah that's what I was saying.

Btw speaking of this, anyone knows how the PS Plus shit like this works? Can I log in the PS5 and claim the PS4 version of FF7R from that, or do I have to rummage through the boxes in my garage to find my old ass PS4, plug it in, then log in, spend god knows how long updating this piece of shit, just so I can claim it on that so I can play it on PS5 after?
You can claim the PS4 games on PS5.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
You can also just download the app on your phone or go to the website and claim it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh nice, would have been annoying to get the PS4 out. In like 20years of owning Playstations, this will be the first time I get PS Plus, so wasn't sure how it worked.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Check out www.slickdeals.net for Playstation Plus deals. It has been under $30 for a year pretty regularly.
I really don't need/want a year though, I just want FF7. For it to be worth it there would need to be more than 3 games I want and haven't bought yet in the next year, and that seems very unlikely.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I really don't need/want a year though, I just want FF7. For it to be worth it there would need to be more than 3 games I want and haven't bought yet in the next year, and that seems very unlikely.
Keep in mind you do need PS+ to play any online multiplayer, and for cloud save backup. Otherwise if you ever need to reset your PS5 for any reason, you'll lose all your saves. They tend to give out some decent games throughout the year, so you will probably get your moneys worth if you buy one year for $28.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Keep in mind you do need PS+ to play any online multiplayer, and for cloud save backup. Otherwise if you ever need to reset your PS5 for any reason, you'll lose all your saves. They tend to give out some decent games throughout the year, so you will probably get your moneys worth if you buy one year for $28.
As I said, I've had a playstation since the PS1, and never used it before. The times it had good games I wanted to play at the time and that I didn't own basically never happened(when I was looking at it). I know about the other stuff but I don't need that either, only online games I play are on PC or wouldn't require PS+ anyway(FFXIV) and cloud saving I have no need for usually, I have it turned off on Steam too cause of the issues it causes on that sometimes which far outweights the times I've needed it(which has been 0). It's just not worth the money at all, for me. I mostly play on PC, I only buy a few games on consoles, maybe like 1 or 2 a year, so that's mostly why. Just happens to be a good deal right now for the situation I'm in so I'll grab a month and then forget about it, and in the unlikelyhood another game pops up I want, I could still get another month and still be saving money.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
As I said, I've had a playstation since the PS1, and never used it before. The times it had good games I wanted to play at the time and that I didn't own basically never happened(when I was looking at it). I know about the other stuff but I don't need that either, only online games I play are on PC or wouldn't require PS+ anyway(FFXIV) and cloud saving I have no need for usually, I have it turned off on Steam too cause of the issues it causes on that sometimes which far outweights the times I've needed it(which has been 0). It's just not worth the money at all, for me. I mostly play on PC, I only buy a few games on consoles, maybe like 1 or 2 a year, so that's mostly why. Just happens to be a good deal right now for the situation I'm in so I'll grab a month and then forget about it, and in the unlikelyhood another game pops up I want, I could still get another month and still be saving money.
Keep in mind once your month runs out you can’t play the free monthly games anymore unless you resub.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider

You need to keep PS+ active to play the free game.

Its seems ridiculous to subscribe 1 month at a time, then lose access.

Just buy the game you want on sale instead of an awkward rental.
OR buy 3 codes for the price one 1 full price game and never think about it again for 3 years..

That same $80 will net you 74 + new games over 3 years.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah pay the $30/yr or so discount fee for PS+, but 3-5 years of it and just claim the free monthly games every month. Its been ridiculous this year with ManEater PS5 and Control Ultimate Edition PS5 and FFR7-R PS4 all "free" with PS+, those three games alone imo justify a 1 or 2 year sub.

Best part is you can install the entire PS+ collection for free once you get that sub, and its 20 HEAVY HITTING games that if you haven't played for... well, your 2021 gaming dance card will be full.

swibiheiz1t51.jpg

all those games are free if you have a PS5 and PS+, TLOU1, Bloodborne, Days Gone, God of War, Second Son, Ratchet and Clank, Monster Hunter, RE, Uncharted 4 (buy UC1-3 collection) and Until Dawn are themselves like 400 hours of gaming.

P5 I'd personally pay the difference and play P5 Royale, which is a vastly superior version of the 120 hour game.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gamestop is such asshole. Never once have I gotten anything other than out of stock, we're adding more inventory periodically, try again in a few minutes.

spronk spronk My Googlefu is failing me. Is there a way to get the old PS Store back? I used to go to the store, click on the free PS+ games link, add to cart, done. Now with the new layout I can't even figure out where to claim the games. :(