Playstation 5

Szlia

it’s because red resin for the plastic injection mold is more expensive (actually the most expensive).
It makes sense, but is also very strange. One would think that in this day and age, any color can be achieved with equal ease using synthetic pigments, but I guess it's not the case at all as there are for some colors cheap natural pigments ? In any case it's a strange throwback to ancient times when the color of your clothes was a strong indicator of your wealth because of the wild price differences in dyes (I think blue was super expensive ?).

EDIT: Come to think of it, considering how little dye makes for a $5 difference, there must still be a huge difference in prices.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For ceramics red and orange glazes are the most expensive because the chemicals require more precise conditions or else it distorts the color to green/brown. Specific temperatures and more oxygen is needed for the process, which also limits how many you can glaze at the same time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
it’s because red resin for the plastic injection mold is more expensive (actually the most expensive).
it might be but not $5 more per. Probably more like 5c-10c more, you know they buy the shit in bulk right?. Ill side with Hateyou on this one. Shorter production runs. Maybe more expensive assembly since its not only red but black as well so more complexity, this shit all adds up in piece cost. Either way the pastics on those controllers are only dimes, maybe a 25c to manufacture either way. Its the other shit inside that costs the big bucks. And of course the 50%-75% markup, lol.

Here is roughly what they cost to make plus a bit of markup. Not sony or xbox markup... Add to the below price maybe $2 per for Sony/xbox more strict quality control. also notice the colors? Yeah no markup for red, lol.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know where to get PS Now on the cheap? My wife wants to play Frogger, lol.

[edit] Too late. Paid for a year.

Last edited:

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sadly, it's still a Dualsense.

And probably way too early to hope that they've done anything about the mushy dpad and face buttons.

Vorph

It exists, but costs another 35 bucks.
I ordered one of those kits a couple days ago ($30 one with Prime shipping, so subject to Amazon's return policy if it's a POS).

They range from $30-50, but I suspect they are all made with the same mold in the same factory in China then sold on Alibaba, so there's no point in choosing anything but the cheapest offer that ships from an Amazon warehouse (some still ship from China and take forever). It'll be here tomorrow so I'll post a couple pictures if anyone else is curious about the quality.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I ordered one of those kits a couple days ago ($30 one with Prime shipping, so subject to Amazon's return policy if it's a POS).

They range from $30-50, but I suspect they are all made with the same mold in the same factory in China then sold on Alibaba, so there's no point in choosing anything but the cheapest offer that ships from an Amazon warehouse (some still ship from China and take forever). It'll be here tomorrow so I'll post a couple pictures if anyone else is curious about the quality.
Pretty sure it's the one I bought, it's definitely just some whatever plastic pieces, but it looks a thousand times better to me than the giant white mutant it was before.

Screenshot_20210515-183031_Gallery.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Probably. I'm expecting something that's noticeably lower quality than dbrand, but at ~half the cost and no waiting for backorders to be filled. If there's any defects on the one I get tomorrow, I'll probably just suck it up and order from them instead.

If this one does turn out to be ok, I really wish I could find a high quality center skin (like what dbrand lets you add onto a darkplate order) with a matte black finish. I still hate the 'made from a recycled ps3' look even more than the white plates. Doesn't seem like anyone else makes one though, high quality or otherwise.

spronk

FPS noob
i thought about it but my biggest concern would be that if the plates have something to do with air flow and replacements have just enough of a difference to fuck something up. my consoles are hidden in a media center behind a wall panel so i never look at that shit anyways

on the other hand this xbox series X skin is tight AF

EsBTCwXU0AA0zuu

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Probably. I'm expecting something that's noticeably lower quality than dbrand, but at ~half the cost and no waiting for backorders to be filled. If there's any defects on the one I get tomorrow, I'll probably just suck it up and order from them instead.

If this one does turn out to be ok, I really wish I could find a high quality center skin (like what dbrand lets you add onto a darkplate order) with a matte black finish. I still hate the 'made from a recycled ps3' look even more than the white plates. Doesn't seem like anyone else makes one though, high quality or otherwise.
Ah yeah I didn't even look into that, I thought the shiny finish in the middle offered some contrast without color.

Araxen

I got the dbrand ones this week that I preordered a couple months ago. They are pretty good, but obviously overpriced. I bet the box they came in cost more than the actually two slabs of plastic.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

So the about page says 41 games but only like half of that is actually visible currently

Vorph

Here's what the plates ended up looking like:

20210517_124959.jpg
20210517_133035.jpg

Main differences between these and stock plates is the missing PS logo (copyright reasons obviously) and the inside of the corners that are visible is just textured plastic like the outside. The outside texture is nowhere near as smooth as the Sony plates either. The only 'defects' I'd knock them for is the mold marks you can see (pic 1, center of the plate in line with top of the BR drive there's a dark spot) and there's angled lines you can see on the inside (pic 2 just below the lit-up corner).

Can also see why I despise the recycled piano black look... I just dusted and removed fingerprints from putting on the plates and it already looks like shit before I could take a picture.

This is the product listing for anyone interested:

Still debating whether to keep these or return them and buy dbrand. Dbrand is $50 for the plates and $12 for the center skin. These ones were $30 and buying the dbrand center skin separately costs $20 (ridiculous) so it doesn't really make sense not to spend the extra $12 for higher quality plates if I really want the matte black center as well.
on the other hand this xbox series X skin is tight AF
Only thing XSX needs is this:

20210517_131100.jpg

Fuck those blindingly bright lights MS puts on everything and only lets you dim on the controller if you buy an elite. A couple 80% LightDims and problem solved.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

PSN sent out the random emails for Thursday the 20th so there's likely to be a PS Direct drop tomorrow.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Maddening. I just got to the final "place order" screen on walmart after inputting all info, and after erroring another 3-4 times it kicked me out saying out of stock.

Malakriss

Maddening. I just got to the final "place order" screen on walmart after inputting all info, and after erroring another 3-4 times it kicked me out saying out of stock.
Try to complete the order right as the clock ticks over to the next 10 minute increment

Or at least save the order so you can try loading it back the next time Walmart drops.

• 1Solidarity