Playstation 5

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Most people underpredicted the sales in the PS4 guess thread, that gen grew the console market. PS5 despite supply limits has outsold the PS4's first year.
Yeah it has had double the sales of ps4 so far when compared in the same timeframe. Like mentioned a few posts above it’s the fastest selling console in US history, units and $ amount. The Switch held the units record until the ps5 came along. If it didn’t have supply constraints due to the chip shortage it would be absolutely crushing the previous records.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Chip shortage is now some kind of power term lol.

its a fascinating thing that just doesnt make sense, but eventually it has to catch up right?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it has had double the sales of ps4 so far when compared in the same timeframe. Like mentioned a few posts above it’s the fastest selling console in US history, units and $ amount. The Switch held the units record until the ps5 came along. If it didn’t have supply constraints due to the chip shortage it would be absolutely crushing the previous records.

I imagine this as 80,000 peeps have one, and then one fat neckbeard has a million in his mom’s basement waiting for his perfect diamond hands moment to strike.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Chip shortage is now some kind of power term lol.

its a fascinating thing that just doesnt make sense, but eventually it has to catch up right?
Eh it makes sense. We disrupted distribution chains, shut down production, multiple new electronics released as this was happening. New GPUs, new consoles. Automotive companies all thought they were going to see a massive decline in vehicle sales so they halted the chips they were supposed to purchase. The opposite happened, people moved out of cities, no one wanted to take public transportation, so demand for cars actually went up. Then everyone is working and schooling from home so demand for laptops and PCs went up too. There’s also a drought in Taiwan and you need water to manufacture silicon ingots. So demand in multiple sectors skyrockets at the worst time possible time for production and distribution. Drought plus pandemic disruption.

There are only a couple chip manufacturers. It’s going to catch up eventually, but it’ll probably be in like three years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I imagine this as 80,000 peeps have one, and then one fat neckbeard has a million in his mom’s basement waiting for his perfect diamond hands moment to strike.
I’m sure there’s a lot of neck beards out there with 30-50 all the time scalping them. The numbers are skewed though, I think they’ve sold over 10m now. There’s got to be a lot in actual user hands by now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I’m sure there’s a lot of neck beards out there with 30-50 all the time scalping them. The numbers are skewed though, I think they’ve sold over 10m now. There’s got to be a lot in actual user hands by now.

My guess is that quite a few are probably holding on to them until a major release hits that could be defined as a system seller of sorts. God of War 2 is the first that comes to mind. Unless Sony starts filling the demand with larger drops of consoles until then, I think scalp prices will go up quite a bit once that game gets close to release.

Which is a shame. Would be fun if Sony somehow announced that they had found a new chipset supplier, and they made so many new consoles that they lowered the price by $100 and would be available everywhere. All the hoarders would lose money.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not saying it won't come out this year but I would be surprised if it did. Lots of rumors it will be delayed already just nothing official

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My guess is that quite a few are probably holding on to them until a major release hits that could be defined as a system seller of sorts. God of War 2 is the first that comes to mind. Unless Sony starts filling the demand with larger drops of consoles until then, I think scalp prices will go up quite a bit once that game gets close to release.

Which is a shame. Would be fun if Sony somehow announced that they had found a new chipset supplier, and they made so many new consoles that they lowered the price by $100 and would be available everywhere. All the hoarders would lose money.
There’s no way in hell they’d do that. First, a chip supplier getting spun up would take a few years. Like I said there’s only two in the world, it’s not something that you can just hop in and out of as demand ebbs and flows like some other sectors. Second, when they’re selling consoles at record pace there’s absolutely no incentive to lower the price. That comes a few years down the road when it’s sales start slowing. It’s a fun fantasy though.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Most people underpredicted the sales in the PS4 guess thread, that gen grew the console market. PS5 despite supply limits has outsold the PS4's first year.

The PS4 also didn't release in Japan until like 6 months after the US, so that won't be an apples to apples if you're talking global sales.

I'd also imagine scalpers have a lot to do with it, but impossible to quantify for sure

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So ordered a $25 used copy of the standard Miles Morales on Gamestop, they sent me the Ultimate Edition instead with an unused Spiderman Remastered coupon in it.

everythings coming up milhouse GIF

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Szlia

The PS4 also didn't release in Japan until like 6 months after the US, so that won't be an apples to apples if you're talking global sales.

I'd also imagine scalpers have a lot to do with it, but impossible to quantify for sure
Japan has been less and less relevant when it comes to non-handheld consoles. They have between 4 and 5 times fewer PS4 compared to Europe and NA. It was 3 times fewer with the PS3 and 2 times fewer with the PS2. But they have comparable numbers when it comes to the 3DS or the Switch.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I do find it somewhat interesting that for a console that has broken historical sales records, I dont know a single person IRL that has either the PS5 or Xbox.

Usually my circle of friends are in the first adopter group, but none could find one and refuse to shell out $1k+ on them.

It does help that there still is nothing of value released on it so far, with the exception to a Demon Souls remake. I've had every worthwhile system since the NES and not even sure I will worry about a PS5 at this point. I'm already over it, and have lost interest. My other friends are the same way.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I do find it somewhat interesting that for a console that has broken historical sales records, I dont know a single person IRL that has either the PS5 or Xbox.

Usually my circle of friends are in the first adopter group, but none could find one and refuse to shell out $1k+ on them.

It does help that there still is nothing of value released on it so far, with the exception to a Demon Souls remake. I've had every worthwhile system since the NES and not even sure I will worry about a PS5 at this point. I'm already over it, and have lost interest. My other friends are the same way.

You guys are old now. That’s the difference.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You guys are old now. That’s the difference.

No, the difference is 100% the fact that 6 months into the release it’s still impossible to find one.

PS3, PS4 etc maybe the first week or two was crazy and couldn’t find one. After that I could find one somewhere. It has exactly to do with the slow drip production release which favors one ‘class’ of consumer.

If I could walk into a store right now and buy one, or get on a website and order one, I’d own one. But I can’t, so I don’t.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>

I'm in the same boat as you, don't know anyone with either console. I partially attribute it to being older and thus people having less interest, but I also sometimes wonder if something like 50% of PS5 sales are simply to scalpers and not actual users. This would allow record console sales numbers to be achieved and totally eliminate stock at retailers through scalper bot purchases. The scalpers could then slowly release their hoarded stock to maintain exorbitant prices and the illusion of scarcity (which would contribute to the exorbitant prices) while the actual end userbase is quite small. Sony or Microsoft would probably know whether this is the case based on software attachment rates or whatever, but they obviously wouldn't publicize it

spronk

FPS noob
scalpers are selling their PS5s as fast as they can on offerup, they are sold within 2-3 hours for $750-850 (PS5, series X is a lot less). There is no real mystery here, millions of people have a lot more money because they are eating out less, drinking at bars less, not taking vacations, etc. The stock is also concentrated in USA, EU, and Japan which gives scalping incentives to other countries. One guy I know sells every PS5 he gets his hands on for $900 to an international exporter who ships them to Mexico where it gets sold to rich dudes (probably cartel) for $1500. He's sold like 40 PS5s this way. There are doormen in Miami, NYC who pay $800-900 for PS5s and resell in their building for $1200+. There are car dealerships who are buying (scalped) PS5s to give away with new car buys.

The demand far, far, far outstrips supply. Its still way easier to get a PS5 than a 3080. I could have gotten a PS5 3-4x last week during Target, Amazon, and Best Buy drops but had zero shot at buying an nvidia GPU. (I already have a PS5 and my wife put her foot down on me meeting up random strangers to sell them a PS5). I sold the two extra PS5s at launch I had for $1200 each and they were sold within 5 mins of me putting them up, (resell) price has gone down but demand hasn't. GPU supply/demand is way, way, way more out of sync though than console.

Anyways instead why not buy a nice Ps5 jogger

If you really want a PS5 and you make more than $150k/yr just buy one on offerup, itll be like $850 and you really shouldn't give a shit about giving some 30 year old bot sneaker bro $300 in profit. Meet him in front of a police station during the day time and pay cash, check the console before you let him walk off with the money.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Imagine Utnayan Utnayan won't like this

Should be illegal - but it doesn’t matter anyway since Sony and Nintendo have been idiots and won’t pay for the licensing regardless. Nintendo hasn’t paid a license fee to Dolby since pro logic on the GameCube. Sony designed their own. And we won’t be seeing anything other than fake HDR in most games now anyhow since both systems are now doing their auto overlay garbage - most anyone will see even with an exclusive on games is maybe 20% throughput with Xbox Exclusives.

We saw what, maybe 14 Games on Xbox one X that supported Atmos, two of which actually sounded good, and none of them shot for vision. Netflix and Such, using the series X I have now as the media player but there are countless other ways do support Atmos and Vision if one stays PS5 exclusive.

I’d blame this more on Sony and Nintendo than anything. MS just wants it for marketing.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
june ps+ games

and $1m welfare for GTA Online

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users