Playstation 5

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sony sent me another email, sat in the queue again, still the same error. Fuck this, not worth it.

Bummer, did you try it in a different browser? I've had times where stuff in one doesn't work in another

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Have an already existing PSN account so that scalpers cant create new ones to sign up.
Lol, I forgot a few weeks back I had my PSN breached - long story short I had to create a new email for the PSN account. Of course I never check it, I had an invitation email from 4 days ago....

So, my next question is: Does anyone know if you miss the invitation/queue, will they eventually send you another one?

spronk

FPS noob
I just finished installing my WD Black SN850 1TB in my PS5. Process was fairly straightforward, removing the cover was the most difficult part.

It works great, finally done with the constant installing and removing games for a while.

for you and anyone else installing an SSD, make sure you watch this video especially the bit where they remove the SSD coverplate inside the PS5. There is a little screw and riser you have to "move" to fit the end of the SSD, if you forget to do it your SSD is basically barebacking the PS5 plastic and could, theoretically, trigger a short.

Its around 2:35 in

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
for you and anyone else installing an SSD, make sure you watch this video especially the bit where they remove the SSD coverplate inside the PS5. There is a little screw and riser you have to "move" to fit the end of the SSD, if you forget to do it your SSD is basically barebacking the PS5 plastic and could, theoretically, trigger a short.

I had that video playing while I installed mine. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

To be fair that's how M2s work on PC too, you don't just have them hug your motherboard, there's a riser thing, and while usually you don't have to move it(unlike here) you sometimes do if you pick a non standard size M2 SSD(like other than 2280) or if the motherboard comes with a special cover for it like this. At least they made the screw bigger so you can use a "normal" screwdriver and don't need a M2 tiny one like on PCs, looks super easy to install.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider

My m2 SSD came in yesterday (Best Buy), and the heat sink (NewEgg) is still shipping from China. I should have pulled the trigger sooner on Amazon as now everything is on backorder once PS released their update.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is Sony throttling performance?

Rather silly question there. Load times don't differ significantly, if at all, between XSX and PS5 multiplats, and the XSX uses a SSD which is basically on par with the fastest Gen3x4 drives. It was always clear that the PS5 couldn't actually use the full speed of a top of the line Gen4x4.

It is interesting that the console allows you to use a drive that doesn't meet the overblown spec though. The WD SN750 that Digital Foundry tested against the SN850 isn't even a Gen4 drive..... which actually makes me wonder if I could swap the XPG SX8200 I have out of my PC and into my PS5, then go and buy a better one for the PC (one that has a heatsink on it too large to fit in the PS5, so that there's no insane demand). Nm, that's a SN750 SE that DF tested, which is a Gen4 drive.

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Rather silly question there. Load times don't differ significantly, if at all, between XSX and PS5 multiplats, and the XSX uses a SSD which is basically on par with the fastest Gen3x4 drives. It was always clear that the PS5 couldn't actually use the full speed of a top of the line Gen4x4.

It is interesting that the console allows you to use a drive that doesn't meet the overblown spec though. The WD SN750 that Digital Foundry tested against the SN850 isn't even a Gen4 drive..... which actually makes me wonder if I could swap the XPG SX8200 I have out of my PC and into my PS5, then go and buy a better one for the PC (one that has a heatsink on it too large to fit in the PS5, so that there's no insane demand). Nm, that's a SN750 SE that DF tested, which is a Gen4 drive.

This also opens up the ability to stage in a 2-4tb drive at 75% of the price point.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This also opens up the ability to stage in a 2-4tb drive at 75% of the price point.
Yeah, I'm considering that XPG Gammix S50 Lite that they tested. It's $210 for a 2TB right now, and already has a heatsink on it that should be adequate enough. I already passed on a max-speed S70 Blade when it was $300 though, and it still feels like a dumb impulse purchase when even the retardedly small stock drive has almost 300GB free in my PS5 and I buy every multi-plat game for XSX instead.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The throttling questions came about because it takes 5x longer to transfer a game to the internal storage from the expansion m.2.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What the fuck?

I was checking for availability on my various bookmarks and Sony goes to a queue. I'm thinking what the hell and go back to my email link for yesterday and queue up. After about maybe 30 minutes I'm up and flawlessly order one in seconds.

Goddammit Sony, get your shit together.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 6 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
With that said, any games in particular that I should check out for it? I'll definitely be doing replays of GoW, Ghost and Horizon. No on Demon's Souls. I'm done buying every game in the series, failing to git gud after 10ish hours and never touching it again.

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I'm considering that XPG Gammix S50 Lite that they tested. It's $210 for a 2TB right now, and already has a heatsink on it that should be adequate enough. I already passed on a max-speed S70 Blade when it was $300 though, and it still feels like a dumb impulse purchase when even the retardedly small stock drive has almost 300GB free in my PS5 and I buy every multi-plat game for XSX instead.
i have a 1tg xpg on my htpc and it's stupid fast, i believe the xpgs are the top 3 fastest controllers

spronk

FPS noob
PS5s will be sold in store at Best Buy tomorrow, thursday 9/23. List of stores is on this page

expect it to be a total shit show with many "sneaker bois" lining up overnight and camping. Most stores are getting 50-100 PS5s, and Xbox Series X will also be in stock with similar numbers

Gamestop will be doing iN STORE ps5 bundles on 9/30, no idea how that will work probably circle jerk bukkake and top guzzlers get the ps5s

spronk

FPS noob
With that said, any games in particular that I should check out for it? I'll definitely be doing replays of GoW, Ghost and Horizon. No on Demon's Souls. I'm done buying every game in the series, failing to git gud after 10ish hours and never touching it again.

i'm not a huge dark souls guy and tend to fail miserably at the games but i plat'd Demon Souls without too much trouble, its far less difficult (imo) than dark souls and the visuals are pretty impressive.

Ratchet and Clank is fantastic and beautiful
I've heard Deathloop is really good, just came out
Spider Man Miles Morales is GORGEOUS, if you get the ultimate edition (amazon warehouse drops it to $40 regularly) you get the remastered spidey too
Control Ultimate Edition is really great
Hitman 3 is pretty gorgeous, and it can import all the Hitman 1 & 2 levels if you own it

play the built in PS5 game, Astro Bot, its REALLY cool and awesome.

Control UE, ManEater, and plagues tale were all on PS+ this year for PS5 only if you managed to claim them, easy 100 hours of gaming.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users