Playstation 5

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I signed up for Total Tech b/c of doing some appliance purchases, maybe it'll pay off and let me get a PS5 or graphics card too.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
whats really fun is visiting the stadia subreddit and reading posts by people who only have a stadia account and how its gonna be great real soon

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Who cares about exclusives at this point?

Aside from Nintendo (which will never release 1st party on anything but Nintendo systems) both Microsoft/Sony are finally releasing their stuff on PC as well (albeit glacially for Sony) which is great for gamers.

If people think that 2-3 games is worth tying up their console choice over better hardware, better multi platform options, better price, and a better overall ecosystem for gamers then /shrug.

I say this as someone who owns all systems and a high end gaming PC. Microsoft is literally miles ahead in value than any other choice.

Demon souls remake
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn (PC as well)
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank
Spider-Man
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Horizon 2
God of War 2
GoT
Death stranding (PC as well)

Gamepass: 75% shit 15% mediocre, and Forza 5.

MS hasn’t put out Jack shit but old and sometimes mediocre titles as a seed to sell MTX or DLC. And that trend is continuing and they managed to fuck their flagship product to the point of a start stop with all hands on deck 13 months ago with a bland Halo free to play multiplayer game which still to this day looks like it is straight out a of a Rockstar remaster.

Now, only reason why I can see value is because I got three years of gamepass ultimate for effectively two bucks a month with the dollar buy out trick. But fuck that if it was full price even with sales.

And the player supports Atmos and DV.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Demon Souls remake
Bloodborne
Ghost of Tsushima
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank
Spider-Man
Spider-Man Miles Morales
FFVII Remake - PC port rumored and likely. Xbox port also rumored.
Ratchet and Clank - PC port rumored and likely.
Horizon Zero Dawn (PC as well)
Horizon 2 - PC
God of War - PC porting.
God of War 2 - PC
Death stranding (PC as well)

So half of those are PC porting and that is only going to increase in the future. I also added Bloodborne to the list because it's actually bis and will probably get a #2 or remake and FFVII Remake though it'll have a port sooner or later as well.

Gamepass: 75% shit 15% mediocre, and Forza 5.

MS hasn’t put out Jack shit but old and sometimes mediocre titles as a seed to sell MTX or DLC. And that trend is continuing and they managed to fuck their flagship product to the point of a start stop with all hands on deck 13 months ago with a bland Halo free to play multiplayer game which still to this day looks like it is straight out a of a Rockstar remaster.

Now, only reason why I can see value is because I got three years of gamepass ultimate for effectively two bucks a month with the dollar buy out trick. But fuck that if it was full price even with sales.

And the player supports Atmos and DV.

This isn't about Microsoft exclusives, this is about valuing your money in a gaming ecosystem.

Even if we use your subjective ratio of 75% shit that's 25 quality games for <$200 a year if you pay the max normal retail price of Gamepass, which no one ever needs to do, on top of the ability to try out 100+ titles at any given time including multiple day 1 triple A launches. From console, from PC, from phone/tablet.

If you aren't the type of brainless preorderer of CoD/BF/Sportsgame gamer then how can you even pretend like Sony comes close to giving you that kind of value based on having a handful of other titles that you don't get on Xbox/PC?

The majority of people don't get to own all the options nor spend thousands a year on gaming like myself and I'm sure others on this board and if I had to choose I'd be going for most bang for my buck which is far and away not Sony.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
This isn't about Microsoft exclusives, this is about valuing your money in a gaming ecosystem.

Even if we use your subjective ratio of 75% shit that's 25 quality games for <$200 a year if you pay the max normal retail price of Gamepass, which no one ever needs to do, on top of the ability to try out 100+ titles at any given time including multiple day 1 triple A launches. From console, from PC, from phone/tablet.

If you aren't the type of brainless preorderer of CoD/BF/Sportsgame gamer then how can you even pretend like Sony comes close to giving you that kind of value based on having a handful of other titles that you don't get on Xbox/PC?

The majority of people don't get to own all the options nor spend thousands a year on gaming like myself and I'm sure others on this board and if I had to choose I'd be going for most bang for my buck which is far and away not Sony.

Yes - for 179.88 a year If full price I can get Gamepass Ultimate which will include Xbox Live.

What the majority will do however is subscribe for a month or two during any given year to play anything they want to play on the cheap Ala UbiPass) and maintain an Xbox Live sub separately. MSFT knows this - so they are going to discontinue Xbox Live as a separate purchase by next summer (Mark my words) so people will have to stay subscribed for that and not be able to get away with a month here and there for games like TES6 or Starfield.

Most of the games here are Indie shit. Some decent, about 30 no one has ever heard of nor care about. That isn't value at $179 a year when half those games you can buy for 6-10 bucks or the major multi-plat releases are 2+ year old vanilla retail trying to get you to buy the full priced DLC.

Meanwhile for 59 a year - PS Now which everyone thinks is still just for streaming games yet downloadable games are over 200+ titles - and a library of over 700 titles to screw around with and also stream to PC.

So yes, exclusives DO matter for Gamepass. Microsoft will have to end of life Xbox Live standalone and sink it into Gamepass Ultimate to force subscriptions after folks lose their $1 buy out option, or you will see a massive cancellation and resubs to it maybe a month or two during any given year to play a handful of games that may be decent enough (IE: Forza 5, Possibly Starfield unless Bethesda cucks that up too)

The issue is it is mostly shit, and MS exclusives (Which they also believe in by the way since they are buying companies to compete so it isn't like this isn't a strategy for them which contradicts your opinion of it all) are so piss poor right now there isn't any value for the amount over the $1 buy out or sub a month or two for a couple games, play them, and cancel.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm probably very bias when it comes to PlayStation since I have been on the ecosystem since PS1 but I have never felt like I was missing out when it came to the console wars. PC master race yes, but I have grown old, cheap, and lazy when it comes to maintaining them. Not to mention time to play. Hell my comp still has a 760 in it because I built it several years back as a budget 1080p gaming system. It struggles now days but the constant upgrading and feeling like I'm missing out when the new shiny comes out is over.

I surprised PS hasn't incorporated Now into PS+ but I suppose they will if they feel the need. We see innovation when these companies challenge each other. I suspect PS isn't as concerned as Microsoft. I feel like they should be though since Microsoft is trying to get everyone on their ecosystem. Probably why we see PS porting over their hits now to make up for that difference. Time will tell how this plays out.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I got my order in yesterday on the Sony site for a disk version and a controller. I haven't gotten word of anything being shipped yet, though.

I was actually able to join a pre-queue before the time so they recognized me being there, then at the actual time it went to the regular queue. At first the timer said 1 hour wait so I was sweating it, but then it dropped to 5 mins and then to 1 min then right into the shop. It offered me free shipping because I had PS plus, but I had chosen a controller before that so don't know if things would've been different. I didn't want to mess with it since I wanted to just get it and go.

A silly post, but figured a little info for people who are still on the waiting list. Good luck.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sendaar

Nom Nom Nom
I signed up for Total Tech b/c of doing some appliance purchases, maybe it'll pay off and let me get a PS5 or graphics card too.
Hate to tell you but PS5s and OLED Switches were this monday. Not sure PS5 will come back up on membership monday again.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm probably very bias when it comes to PlayStation since I have been on the ecosystem since PS1 but I have never felt like I was missing out when it came to the console wars. PC master race yes, but I have grown old, cheap, and lazy when it comes to maintaining them. Not to mention time to play. Hell my comp still has a 760 in it because I built it several years back as a budget 1080p gaming system. It struggles now days but the constant upgrading and feeling like I'm missing out when the new shiny comes out is over.

I surprised PS hasn't incorporated Now into PS+ but I suppose they will if they feel the need. We see innovation when these companies challenge each other. I suspect PS isn't as concerned as Microsoft. I feel like they should be though since Microsoft is trying to get everyone on their ecosystem. Probably why we see PS porting over their hits now to make up for that difference. Time will tell how this plays out.

Well, the price point for Gamepass Ultimate is over 170 a year - while you can get a PS Plus sub on sale for $39 a year and a PS Now Sub for 59 a year - so you get access to all PS Plus games, all the 1st party exclusives that really mattered including persona 5, and over 700 titles on PS1, 2, 3, 4 via stream and 200+ downloadable titles to play.

Honestly if we are talking apples to apples value here AFTER the 1 dollar 3 year buy out conversion contract ends for most on Gamepass, the only thing Sony needs to do is incorporate the two services at $99 a year - but right now they are just disparate separate services where the dollar amount is the same - and it's over 50% less in cost than MSFT's Gamepass Ultimate with over 650 more games - they just have no idea how to market it.

TL;DR PS Plus + PS Now has 650 more games and another 200 downloadable along with the same benefits of Xbox Live with 2 free games a month on PS Plus but also carries access to PS Plus Collection - at 50% of the list price of Game pass Ultimate with a lower disparity of games that flat out suck and are worthless.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, the price point for Gamepass Ultimate is over 170 a year - while you can get a PS Plus sub on sale for $39 a year and a PS Now Sub for 59 a year - so you get access to all PS Plus games, all the 1st party exclusives that really mattered including persona 5, and over 700 titles on PS1, 2, 3, 4 via stream and 200+ downloadable titles to play.
Counterpoint:

If you're talking sale price, Game Pass ranges from $60-100 a year, so worst case the same price as PS+ + Now. And not sure why you singled out Persona 5 when they only gave away the version that is obsolete now.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Counterpoint:

If you're talking sale price, Game Pass ranges from $60-100 a year, so worst case the same price as PS+ + Now. And not sure why you singled out Persona 5 when they only gave away the version that is obsolete now.

Yeah same thing with persona 5 to sell dlc but at least that game is better than 95% of what is on gamepass. I mean I just counted the games just now on PS now. Over 400 downloadable games and over 850 total for 59 a year. About the only thing Sony has failed on (With regards to subscription services) IMO is marketing.

Vorph

Buying DLC won't help you with P5, the base game is 100% incompatible with Royal.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sorry never played royal and do not know the differences. Only played the launch Persona 5. What am I missing with royal I didn’t get with the original?

Vorph

Pretty much everything in the base game is refined and improved, plus they added a whole bunch of new content for both the original school year and also the new third semester. It's like the difference between P3 and P3 FES or P4 and P4 Golden.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
gamepass is way better than PS+ its not really a competition and its not 75% shit 25% good, its more like 30% great, 40% whatever, and 30% shit. Games I played this year on gamepass

Dragon Quest XI-S - 10/10 100 hour JRPG
Octopath Traveler - not for me, but i can see how some would love it
ALL THE YAKUZA GAMES - fucking insanity this is like 2-3 years of gaming for most people
Hades - 10/10 game probably my favorite game i played this year (its a 2020 game to be fair)
Psychonauts 2 - not my kinda game tbh but my niece absolutely loves it
The Outer Worlds - i don't think i really like old rpgs anymorre

This isn't even getting into ALL THE BETHESDA GAMES on there or shit like Age of Empires, Wasteland 3, Sea of Thieves, Dirt 5, and literally a bazillion other games.

Its completely ludicrous to try and equate PS+ or PSNow with Gamepass, its like comparing WNBA to NBA. There are a number of amazing PS4/PS5 exclusive games but few are on PS+ or PSNow, Sony wants their money. Persona 5 Royale isn't a "dlc", its a complete remake of the game that doesn't import saves and the free version is the 3 year old base P5.

that said there are tiny annoying things sometimes, like Control Ultimate Edition was on PS+ this year (PS5 only though) while Gamepass got the regular ass version without DLC/next gen enhancements... but that works for xbox one and one S users while ultimate doesn't. Maneater was on PS+ and great, not sure which version Xbox got. I also infinitely prefer PSN platinum trophies to xbox's gamerscore.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
gamepass is way better than PS+ its not really a competition and its not 75% shit 25% good, its more like 30% great, 40% whatever, and 30% shit. Games I played this year on gamepass

ALL THE YAKUZA GAMES - fucking insanity this is like 2-3 years of gaming for most people
Hades - 10/10 game probably my favorite game i played this year (its a 2020 game to be fair)

This isn't even getting into ALL THE BETHESDA GAMES on there or shit like Age of Empires, Wasteland 3, Sea of Thieves, Dirt 5, and literally a bazillion other games.

Its completely ludicrous to try and equate PS+ or PSNow with Gamepass, its like comparing WNBA to NBA. There are a number of amazing PS4/PS5 exclusive games but few are on PS+ or PSNow, Sony wants their money. Persona 5 Royale isn't a "dlc", its a complete remake of the game that doesn't import saves and the free version is the 3 year old base P5.

that said there are tiny annoying things sometimes, like Control Ultimate Edition was on PS+ this year (PS5 only though) while Gamepass got the regular ass version without DLC/next gen enhancements... but that works for xbox one and one S users while ultimate doesn't. Maneater was on PS+ and great, not sure which version Xbox got. I also infinitely prefer PSN platinum trophies to xbox's gamerscore.

Have you seen the 400+ titles you can download right now on PS-Now? And quite honestly yes you can do quests and such and help with gamepass costs, but when you are paying $170+ a year (maybe 150 with sales) compare to half the price point with plus AND PS Now, not sure how you can compare the two today.

Yes it’s a good deal now at the dollar buy out. Had a year of Xbox live, bought two years of live from Costco for 78 bucks. Converted to a three year gamepass ultimate sub. When that runs out? In no way is this worth it since we all own the Bethesda games anyway and played them a million times over. That’s not value.

More games like the quality of Forza 5 would be value. Only thing coming close “might” be Starfield if they don’t fuck it up. Confidence isn’t high in Bethesda. Maybe Stalker 2? I refuse to get hyped anymore about anything if it is free on gamepass because up to this point all exclusives (aside from forza 5) and most third party have been garbage.

For that all I have to do is reference Crackdown 3 and state of decay 2 which may have turned a small corner but two years too late.

I’ll give you the fact exclusive releases are day one on gamepass. But when they come out in a shit state or common denominator developed knowing it won’t hit a box sale, they don’t put in the same amount of effort and that’s easily provable.

joz123

Potato del Grande
PSNow doesn't need to make Sony tons of money since they have such good exclusives unlike Microsoft.

• 1Truth!

joz123

Potato del Grande

Gamepass isn't going to fuck you.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
PSNow doesn't need to make Sony tons of money since they have such good exclusives unlike Microsoft.

That’s really the point. That exclusives will be the value for Gamepass at the price they are asking after the dollar buy out value everyone and their mom is on. But after that runs out, if they don’t have good first party titles, only way they will keep people paying that will be if they end of sale Live and force gamepass ultimate. Which definitely sounds like something they would do rather than churn out some quality titles.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sorry never played royal and do not know the differences. Only played the launch Persona 5. What am I missing with royal I didn’t get with the original?

Royal > Standard Persona 5 ..

Having guns reloaded after every single fight makes it worth it.

And more with the Pancake King is always good ... *laugh*