Playstation 5

spronk

FPS noob
there will be a PS5 bundle that releases when GOW2 releases 11/9, just a standard PS5 plus box art nothing special

there is also a modern warfare 2 ps5 bundle you can preorder at PSDirect and the god of war PS5 controller looks great and is available still most places, i thought about buying one but with the ps5 elite controller out in six months seems kind of a waste (i do have two SCUFs as well)

spronk

FPS noob

I'm really happy with my SCUF Reflex FPS's so probably will pass on this until they release skinned variants in 1-2 years

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm really happy with my SCUF Reflex FPS's so probably will pass on this until they release skinned variants in 1-2 years

I have to ask, because I don't get it, what is so good about this that justifies a $200 pricetag? Are there any games that will show significantly improved performance for using this?

spronk

FPS noob
the biggest pro is back paddles, thats enormously useful in FPS games when you can shoot and stuff without ever removing your fingers from movement. Then there's other shit which honestly issnt that important

they are nice to use, I use elite 2s on my xbox and SCUFs on my ps5 but i use actual regular dual sense 99% of the time on my PS5, only SCUFs for COD, and its not that big a deal

is it really worth an extra $150? nah. If you play a few hours a week for years, the cost is just pennies per hour so does it really matter that much? Its the old "sit on a $50 ikea chair vs $800 design chair" debate

the one game where it was REALLY nice was Hades as I could dash/attack (back paddles) while moving without ever moving my fingers to A/B/X/Y, that was super clutch

It was also amazing in Elden Ring since I mapped horse mount onto back so I could mount while fighting/fleeing, I don't remember why that was super clutch but it made the game feel easier.

Last edited:

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was also amazing in Elden Ring since I mapped horse mount onto back so I could mount while fighting/fleeing, I don't remember why that was super clutch but it made the game feel easier.

I can see how that would improve Elden Ring. Can it let you get around the in-game restrictions like not being able to use the special on your left-handed weapon?

spronk

FPS noob
i dont think back paddles allow you to cheat or do anything the game doesn't allow like some controller mods, it just adds mapping to 4 extra buttons you can map them to almost anything like front buttons or L3/R3 or front triggers

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I think the biggest draw is for the FPS players since you can limit the trigger pull. It's like giving the controller a hair trigger. My buddy has the Scuff FPS, and he has noticed a difference when it comes to those close-quarters combat situations when it depends on who pulled the trigger first.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
i dont think back paddles allow you to cheat or do anything the game doesn't allow like some controller mods, it just adds mapping to 4 extra buttons you can map them to almost anything like front buttons or L3/R3 or front triggers

How does the mapping work? I could see two ways of doing it:

- dependent on the software to allow you to map keys to functions
- the controller itself just maps the P1-4 buttons to duplicate existing buttons. Example: map P1 to DPAD-UP for Elden Ring flask usage

The second seems superior just because it's universal.

spronk

FPS noob
its the second way for xbox elite 2 and SCUF (dunno about the new Sony PS5 ones), you have 3 presets on xbox elite 2 and map them once on an xbox app (PC or console) and can swap between them. On SCUF you have a special mapping button on the back and you press the paddle and then the button it should map to, works fine if you take it to a friends house and use it there too so not dependent on software or anything.

There are things like the KRONOS max that work more at a software level and allow more cheat-y kind of things like rapid fire and other shit from 90s era game genie, but those generally don't work on next gen systems either

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Other than the trigger stops I don't see anything that $200 controller has that my standard Dual Sense with back button kit doesn't. Buy a renewed controller (since they'll try to void your warranty for modding it anyway) for like $50, the Rise kit is $45-50 depending on whether you want 2 metal buttons or 4 plastic ones (4 metal should be out before the Edge ships too). The actual plastic isn't quite as nice as OEM but the grip is much better overall.

20221018_123954.jpg

Only regret I have is not installing custom sticks at the same time as I did the rest of the work on it. Only like $15 for the kit which is the same as a set of KontrolFreeks but much more customizable.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yea, at first i found the back paddles annoying, just had to relearn how to hold the controller w/o activating it... once you play stupid games where in order to run you have to press/hold l3

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kind of sad that PS5 expansion drives have dropped from ~$160/TB to $100/TB (unless you need 4TB which never goes on sale below $480, unfortunately) in the space of a year, while the Series S|X cards are still holding firm at $200/$360 because of the retarded deal MS made with Seagate.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yep, takes 5 minutes and 3 of those minutes are watching a video on how to pop the case plate off

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah just follow the video and dont skip around you wanna be sure to move the screw to the right spot so it provides support, super easy even for an all thumbs guy like me

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users