Playstation 5

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So with PS+ subs down almost 2 million rather than growing w/ the debut of the tiered service, I wonder if that approach is putting their subscribers in a position to regularly reconsider it's value and leading to this churn.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So with PS+ subs down almost 2 million rather than growing w/ the debut of the tiered service, I wonder if that approach is putting their subscribers in a position to regularly reconsider it's value and leading to this churn.
I think that seems obvious. You change your model quite a bit and lose two million people, it should show you the value is being perceived differently by customers.

What I wonder is if they look at it and realize they fucked up and plan on fixing it. Some of those types of decisions made by corporate idiots, companies just stick with it cause that person or department don’t want to admit they failed.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
It was combined users from both PS+ and PSN and it was mainly for the PS4 people. And since their revenue went up it's not an issue at all.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the overall revenue for sony went up with the new tiers so they are sitting happy, more money from fewer people. It went from 107b yen to 120b yen/quarter, not a huge difference but still they are charging more and making more.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
yeah the overall revenue for sony went up with the new tiers so they are sitting happy, more money from fewer people. It went from 107b yen to 120b yen/quarter, not a huge difference but still they are charging more and making more.

More than 10% growth is a huge difference.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Short-sightedness goes hand in hand with eventual decline. That's a ton of subscribers they alienated and are assuming they won't leave more after conversions run out.

• 1Truth!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm personally kind of pissed about the change, and I'm going to let my plus subscription lapse for the first time since 2015.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah 10% is big revenue growth. I wonder what the user lost after a year after the change will be like as people let it lapse. Even though revenue went up it still doesn’t seem like a good idea to lose such a large amount of users. Those are the people buying your games and were staying tied into your ecosystem. If they could have made a better service and retained everyone and grew it, the revenue growth could have been even better.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
3 tiers of PS+ is pretty lame but its greedy Sony. they should have a basic ass PS+ tier that just gives cloud saves and multiplayer for like $20/yr, and then PS+ that gives you "free" games for $60-100/yr but Sony wants to squeeze. Most people would just sub to basic PS+ for 10 months of the year and go premium for holidays.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
3 tiers of PS+ is pretty lame but its greedy Sony. they should have a basic ass PS+ tier that just gives cloud saves and multiplayer for like $20/yr, and then PS+ that gives you "free" games for $60-100/yr but Sony wants to squeeze. Most people would just sub to basic PS+ for 10 months of the year and go premium for holidays.

Does the PS5 play these old PS3 R&C games? How does that work?

spronk

FPS noob
yeah its all streamed over PSN datacenters (ps3 racks) basically stadia/xcloud but Sony's version

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
yeah its all streamed over PSN datacenters (ps3 racks) basically stadia/xcloud but Sony's version

Oh so you don't download and install it, it's that PSNOW stuff? I've never tried streaming games, seems like it'd suck ass.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I tried stadia when there was a sort of pseudo exploit in Destiny 2 a while back. Anyway, yeah it sucked. The input lag was fucking real and brutal. Im not sure if this is like so in all games? But im assuming so. It was literally like me remoting into my work PC from home and trying to do anything without pulling my hair out. This is why we all got home workstations.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Short-sightedness goes hand in hand with eventual decline. That's a ton of subscribers they alienated and are assuming they won't leave more after conversions run out.

Exactly. Their business model is horseshit.

1) All they did was combine PS Now and PS Plus and then charged more and called it PS Premium.
2) Extra was scaled down for that.
3) Ps plus remains the same.

The issue then comes from not only the value add, but the way the entire UI is designed around it. They threw every single fucking game in a library and rather than sort it through the actual service they had, they mix everything together in a gigantic heap of flaming shit, placing PS Plus, Extra, and Premium all together with little icon's denoting - while nothing phones home to the UI to determine which plan you already have to assist in your library availability - in the hopes of getting someone to click a game and say "Shit! That's premium! BUMMER guess I will go subscribe (Yeah right).

These people are knuckleheads of all knuckleheads and sure while they made more revenue short term, they are DOWN 2 million subscribers. That is NOT the trending goal you want in a subscription service and if anything shows just how many people they fucked with in the short term as it shows that sharp decline.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
yeah just follow the video and dont skip around you wanna be sure to move the screw to the right spot so it provides support, super easy even for an all thumbs guy like me

Got that S70 blade a week or so ago, and installed it last night. Quick and easy, never done that with a console before despite building every PC I've ever owned. Video was quite helpful.

Promptly queued up like 16 games in my backlog for download, plus the pre-load for God of War: Ragnarok.

Got an email from Cox this morning saying I'm at 86% of my data for the month...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've had no issue with streaming the PS3 games.
The thing you'll just have to deal with is the queueing period for the game, and the timeout. If you leave the game idle for too long, it will log you out to let someone else use the machine in the datacenter. I'm not sure if it puts you in exactly at the same spot when you come back and requeue, but for anything with save structure I'd definitely save before stepping away for any amount of time. It started booting me after a few minutes IIRC when I was messing with it right around the consolidation launch.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kinda regret ordering a physical copy of GOW Ragnarök. Will arrive in the evening tomorrow and need patching I guess. No play until Thursday I'm afraid.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i switched from physical sp disc to 100% digital this year, the preloads / shit trade values at GS make digital so much easier, especially when there are only a handful of games worth buying every year now.

people are streaming the game on twitch though so you can watch i guess

also lots and lots of PS5s going up everywhere today including a GOW PS5 bundle that is $570, includes a digital copy of the game