Playstation 5

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Depends on what you mean by "good". You can get a 27" or 32" 1440p monitor with passable HDR, but if you want 120Hz you need to stick to the native 1440p support instead of sending a 4K signal and downsampling it (which looks better, so that's definitely the way to go for games that only do 4K60). Sony's implementation of VRR is so limited that you won't get that on anything remotely close to "cheap" either. Especially compared to what you can get by just buying a TV.

Rtings' pick for lower mid-range: LG 27GP850-B Review (usually $325-360 at Amazon, never buy a monitor from a 3rd party that ships direct as you'll get fucked if there's any dead pixels)

The 32" version of that is about $400-420, which could make for a better deal on Black Friday, etc.
Second this option. The LG 27GP850-B Review is definitely the best midrange 2560x1440 monitor for PC or console, and honestly they don't get functionally any better than that until you get up to very specialized things like the Asus PG279QM or PG27AQN, which would be useless for a Playstation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Just got a PS5 and need some advice. I have it hooked up to one of my gaming monitors as they are 144hz and 4k, thing is the built in speakers suck ass. I'd LIKE to optical out to my sound system but it doesn't look like this thing has an optic out (this is the non-disc unit). Any ideas? If I buy a 3rd party ' splitter' what kind of overhead/lag am I looking at and will I have HDCP issues?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just got a PS5 and need some advice. I have it hooked up to one of my gaming monitors as they are 144hz and 4k, thing is the built in speakers suck ass. I'd LIKE to optical out to my sound system but it doesn't look like this thing has an optic out (this is the non-disc unit). Any ideas? If I buy a 3rd party ' splitter' what kind of overhead/lag am I looking at and will I have HDCP issues?

Via Reddit:

Disclaimer: I have no PS5 and haven't tried it and no idea if it is what you're looking for.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Via Reddit:

Disclaimer: I have no PS5 and haven't tried it and no idea if it is what you're looking for.

This is exactly what I use for mine - stopped working after a few months, swapped it for a replacement one and it's been good ever since.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks I'll give that a try. Much cheaper and less hassle that a receiver.
Reciever wouldn't work anyway, unless you're monitor supports ARC. I am using a similar hdmi splitter to send an optical signal from the ps5 to my Schiit stack, but I think the splitter messes up VRR and doesn't support hdmi 2.1 (if that matters for your own monitor, mine doesn't).

Edit: Also, if you're monitor has an audio out port, and your sound system has a secondary input, like RCA, you could get an rca adapter/splitter to send that signal from monitor to sound system. That is how I have my Klipsch 2.1's connected to the Schiit stack.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Reciever wouldn't work anyway, unless you're monitor supports ARC. I am using a similar hdmi splitter to send an optical signal from the ps5 to my Schiit stack, but I think the splitter messes up VRR and doesn't support hdmi 2.1 (if that matters for your own monitor, mine doesn't).

Edit: Also, if you're monitor has an audio out port, and your sound system has a secondary input, like RCA, you could get an rca adapter/splitter to send that signal from monitor to sound system. That is how I have my Klipsch 2.1's connected to the Schiit stack.
Every review I read on the splitter made me more and more wary. I am not trying to surround sound the place, just the speakers on/in my monitor are tinny and sound crappy. So I stole the wife's audio cable and tried it into my speakers (also Klipsch) to confirm it would work. Now I just need to find another cable. remember when you used to have 1,000,000 of them laying around? Well not now that I need one LOL.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every review I read on the splitter made me more and more wary. I am not trying to surround sound the place, just the speakers on/in my monitor are tinny and sound crappy. So I stole the wife's audio cable and tried it into my speakers (also Klipsch) to confirm it would work. Now I just need to find another cable. remember when you used to have 1,000,000 of them laying around? Well not now that I need one LOL.
Note, I have no audio out connection from my monitor to my Schiit then to Klipsch, my wording was a bit off. Its just that I am using an audio out on my Schiit to connect to my Klipsch via an rca splitter.

There are hdmi 2.1 compatible splitters out there now though, and they seem to work fine. Like this one:

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Depends on what you mean by "good". You can get a 27" or 32" 1440p monitor with passable HDR, but if you want 120Hz you need to stick to the native 1440p support instead of sending a 4K signal and downsampling it (which looks better, so that's definitely the way to go for games that only do 4K60). Sony's implementation of VRR is so limited that you won't get that on anything remotely close to "cheap" either. Especially compared to what you can get by just buying a TV.

Rtings' pick for lower mid-range: LG 27GP850-B Review (usually $325-360 at Amazon, never buy a monitor from a 3rd party that ships direct as you'll get fucked if there's any dead pixels)

The 32" version of that is about $400-420, which could make for a better deal on Black Friday, etc.
Went on an Google search spree and eventually I saw that the monitor most were happiest with in that price range was indeed that LG one.

I'm kind of undecided on a 27 or 32 though. Sadly no good deals for that particular monitor right now but will keep an eye out for a price drop.

Currently using my Ultrawide AOC in 16:9 mode so not in a rush. Would be nice to have a PS5 screen though so I can still use the PC to check guides etc when playing.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone still needing a SSD for their PS5 -- the Samsung 980Pro 2TB (edit: with heatsink) is available for $190. Sale's been on for a few days so you will have to wait a couple weeks for it to ship (12/5 direct from Samsung, ~12/15 from Amazon, etc.) but it's still a great deal.

Best Buy had it for $180 but it's back up to $200 now. They appear to be shipping immediately though, if you're in a hurry and don't care about the extra 10 bucks.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I ordered one of them the first sale day and Prime had it on my porch in 2 hours. Still shows as $180 Saturday delivery right now from Amazon but yeah that insane level of shipping is worth at least $10 with zero travel and zero gas usage.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ordered one of them the first sale day and Prime had it on my porch in 2 hours. Still shows as $180 Saturday delivery right now from Amazon but yeah that insane level of shipping is worth at least $10 with zero travel and zero gas usage.
Yeah, the $180 version ships immediately, but it comes without a heatsink. Wouldn't recommend that because it's pretty much impossible to beat the Samsung heatsink for <$10.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
especially now anything ordered on prime for the holidays is 90days hassle free return

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i've had a 2tb 980 in my ps5 for 8 months zero problems, i have another one arriving today for my new PC, and I have a 1TB WD 850 in my new PC as well that used to be in my PS5. Its crazy how fast prices have fallen, the bigger form factor 4TB Samsung SSDs are also $270 which is mighty tempting but I figure i'll take a while to fill up 3TB of SSD space, by then it'll be cheaper

Only caveat about the Samsung 980 is that at least six months ago you HAD to update the firmware, on a PC with an m.2 slot (or PCI-E card, USB enclosure won't work) to get the max speeds. I'd assume by now they have the updated firmware on all shipping models but you never know. When you install a new SSD into a ps5 it'll do a speed test, if its not at least 6000 mb/s you probably need a firmware update

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mine came with the latest 5B2QGXA7 firmware and did 6804 R and 5152 W on Samsung Magician. Some other brands do aim for 7000/7000 symmetrical and the 990 Pro is supposed to do up to 7400/6900.

There's only so much you can squeeze out of Gen4 but we don't expect Gen5 to be a thing for a couple years. 40xx cards passed on making that jump already.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Having played through God of War Ragnarök and Horizon Forbidden West on my PS5 I come asking for advice on good PS4/PS5 games I might have missed during the years. I have pretty much only played Final Fantasy 15, Death Stranding and the first GoW and Horizon.

A plus if theres a PS5 "remaster" of the game to make it look nice. I have Seikiro on the list but no idea what else to look for. Might subscribe to the PS+ thingy for free games.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Having played through God of War Ragnarök and Horizon Forbidden West on my PS5 I come asking for advice on good PS4/PS5 games I might have missed during the years. I have pretty much only played Final Fantasy 15, Death Stranding and the first GoW and Horizon.

A plus if theres a PS5 "remaster" of the game to make it look nice. I have Seikiro on the list but no idea what else to look for. Might subscribe to the PS+ thingy for free games.

The first Last of Us game is worth playing for sure. It has PS5 remake that came out recently as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user