Playstation 5

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Got a LG C2 tv today, got it hooked to the PS5, everything looks great. Yet, for some reason I've not been able to figure out, the PS5 simply will not agree that the C2 can run 1440p / 120hz. It should. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Are you sure you are using a quality cable and not some cheap Amazon Chinese shit?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any reason why you want to run that at 1440p over native 4K?
Only IF a game runs like ass at 4k/60, and then I'd get the PC version if possible. Figured out the reason though, the receiver I got apparently doesn't support 1440p at all, just 4k/60, 4k/120, 8k.. so whatever. I was thinking that I had things setup improperly. I will say I'm impressed with OLED at 4k, only have a couple games installed on the PS5 which run at 4k/60: Genshin Impact and Valkyrie Elysium (VRR support as well). Going to download MHW and give that a whirl later on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Only IF a game runs like ass at 4k/60, and then I'd get the PC version if possible. Figured out the reason though, the receiver I got apparently doesn't support 1440p at all, just 4k/60, 4k/120, 8k.. so whatever. I was thinking that I had things setup improperly. I will say I'm impressed with OLED at 4k, only have a couple games installed on the PS5 which run at 4k/60: Genshin Impact and Valkyrie Elysium (VRR support as well). Going to download MHW and give that a whirl later on.
MHW is GORGEOUS on OLED. :) Make sure you turn on HDR at the input level. :)

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
MHW is GORGEOUS on OLED. :) Make sure you turn on HDR at the input level. :)

At the input level? I usually turn it on in-game on a game by game basis. Not sure if the PS5 home screen for example is HDR or the overall input is. I've got an LG C1

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Meaning some people forget to turn on HDR on each hdmi port on the set.

“Enter Settings (long press the button with the gear icon on the lower right of the remote). Click General (the button with the gear and wrench). Scroll down to the bottom and click HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. Switch the port or ports you're using for HDR input to On.”

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

“Enter Settings (long press the button with the gear icon on the lower right of the remote). Click General (the button with the gear and wrench). Scroll down to the bottom and click HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. Switch the port or ports you're using for HDR input to On.”
The C2 has that option elsewhere, but I have Deep Color 4k enabled for the PS5 port. MHW did look good on the C2/PS5, and ran a very stable 60 regardless of which setting I had it on, Resolution / Framerate / Graphics, at least in Astera / Ancient Forest walking around, I'm sure Daora would ruin that though. Think I'll be getting the other 2 Feb releases on PS5, Wild Hearts and Atomic Heart (maybe), in addition to Hogwarts.

Rajaah Rajaah The PS5 homescreen should be HDR, if the screen supports it, at least my C2 pops up the HDR symbol when I get to the PS5 screen.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
sony shutting down PS Plus Collection, its a bunch of games you get free when you own a PS5 and have PS+. if you claim them before the date (May) you get to keep them forever, I think you need to claim them all on an actual PS5 with a logged in account so hop to it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
after finishing god of war 2 (kinda meh, 7/10) i was looking for a new game and played Chorus which is on PS+ Premium free and has a PS5 version. Really fun game, it reminds me a bit of Wing Commander from back in the day with a stripped down space combat and story. It does get a bit repetitive with missions after a bit but I don't think its a super long game either, i'm at 10 hours or so in and probably halfway done.

Its also on gamepass if you prefer that, I just enjoy flying around in space shooting pirates, the combat is really fun but not overly complicated

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
after finishing god of war 2 (kinda meh, 7/10) i was looking for a new game and played Chorus which is on PS+ Premium free and has a PS5 version. Really fun game, it reminds me a bit of Wing Commander from back in the day with a stripped down space combat and story. It does get a bit repetitive with missions after a bit but I don't think its a super long game either, i'm at 10 hours or so in and probably halfway done.

Its also on gamepass if you prefer that, I just enjoy flying around in space shooting pirates, the combat is really fun but not overly complicated

Great game but watch out for bugs late game and save often or you can lose hours of progress.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Doesn’t “use this setting for for all inputs” work too?

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

nice, spidey this year and wolverine next year. its good to own a PS5, bub

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

not really surprising with what a shit show PC gaming has been the last few years due to nvidia's GPU fuckery. With the steam deck now available easily it'll be interesting to see how that shakes it out

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I've never owned an Xbox, I have owned a PS every generation since the first.

However, to me it doesn't seem like the XBox is *that* bad. I never really felt the need to own one because 1) the PS has plenty of games to play on it and 2) I have a PC so don't need to play PC games on a console necessarily.

I know the Xbox did really well one time against the PS (maybe it was against the PS2 or 3? I don't remember). But why isn't it doing well now? They seemed to have a lot of good games on their subcription platform, whatever their equivalent is to PS Plus Essential. Is it lack of exclusives? Poor graphics/speed/rendering? What gives?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Gamepass PC nixed my desire to own the console I sold mine. Haven't bought a ps5 yet though as I'm waiting for pro edition or whatever it will be called in a year or two.

spronk

FPS noob
I've never owned an Xbox, I have owned a PS every generation since the first.

However, to me it doesn't seem like the XBox is *that* bad. I never really felt the need to own one because 1) the PS has plenty of games to play on it and 2) I have a PC so don't need to play PC games on a console necessarily.

I know the Xbox did really well one time against the PS (maybe it was against the PS2 or 3? I don't remember). But why isn't it doing well now? They seemed to have a lot of good games on their subcription platform, whatever their equivalent is to PS Plus Essential. Is it lack of exclusives? Poor graphics/speed/rendering? What gives?

the xbox is doing well, its just not doing insanely well. Microsoft also has sold a TON of series S's which is cheaper and rarely been hard to get.

Its a difference in consumer philosophy. Microsoft doesn't really give a shit how you play, they just want you to really sub to GamePass ala Netflix. Sony wants you to buy their console and games, sometimes it feels like they treat PS+ like the red headed stepchild they reluctantly feed and clothe but don't love.

the revenue isn't that hugely different - $25b for Sony for gaming, $16b for Microsoft, $15b for Nintendo. When they buy Activision Microsoft's numbers will go way up.

Microsoft's biggest problem is talent management. They keep buying studios and IPs but are absolute shit at running them and they experience severe brain drain when the best people vest quietly and then quit and go start their own studios. They don't have a studio like Naughty Dog or Insomniac that cranks out guaranteed hit after hit. They have 343 which fucks up Halo constantly, Coalition which fucks up Gears, on and on. We'll see if Bethesda improves things. Microsoft has spent $15b+ in the past 10 years on buying studios and so far has very, very little to show for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
PS5 2.0 Beta Code (4 uses left): 78CH-MRNH-E2MD

Features include:
  • Can now join Discord Chats from your PS5
  • VRR is now supported at 1440p
  • Can update your DualSense controller wirelessly
  • Easily transfer data to another PS5 over local network/LAN cable
  • And more
Just post in chat if you use one so people aren't still trying.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
PS5 2.0 Beta Code (4 uses left): 78CH-MRNH-E2MD

Features include:
  • Can now join Discord Chats from your PS5
  • VRR is now supported at 1440p
  • Can update your DualSense controller wirelessly
  • Easily transfer data to another PS5 over local network/LAN cable
  • And more
Just post in chat if you use one so people aren't still trying.

I grabbed one, thank you!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Poor graphics/speed/rendering?
Definitely not that. Series X is superior to PS5 in hardware, system software (massively better), and performance in most multiplatform titles. Personally I care less and less about Sony's exclusive IPs every time they release a new one that's a disappointment compared to what came before it, so my PS5 collects dust 99% of the time and Series X gets used for everything, including stuff I could play on my PC.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users