Playstation 5

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Means they are clearing space for the next game bundle and don't want any old ones left.

That's the advantage of giving a digital code, zero actual cost associated with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Means they are clearing space for the next game bundle and don't want any old ones left.

That's the advantage of giving a digital code, zero actual cost associated with it.

Yep. This is why I was wondering about the feasibility of "saved game" storefronts on Ebay. When the thing you're selling is a copy-able digital file, in theory you have unlimited inventory and no shipping costs. That's pretty sick. Too bad the saved games thing isn't really a thing due to current hardware limitations on accessing those kinds of files. People with, say, a 100% complete Elden Ring file could probably have their own little "storefront" selling the file to people who are having issues with the game or whatever and just want to jump to NG+ at level 300 with every weapon/spell/item in the game for the cost of a krono. It was a cool thought, in any case.

That's a pretty retarded take. PS5 exclusives being that short a list is a good thing, since it means the vast majority of games continue to be multi-plat (and thankfully, also available on the far superior competition). By late '24 consoles will be so far behind PC hardware again that Pro models will absolutely be needed. Personally I wish it was this year so I could finally trade in this fucking lemon of a console I got back on day 1.

I lucked out and got a good PS5 on day 1, but I'm still looking forward to trading it in for a more powerful one. The framerate/resolution/ray tracing choice paralysis has become obnoxious in certain new games for me, as someone who holds up the waiter in restaurants because I can't decide what to get. A Pro that manages to combine those choices (or at least reduce their number...Hogwarts had what, 5?) would be welcome.

Also there's something nice about transfering all your stuff from one system to a superior system, then getting money for the old one. Just feels good. Did that with PS4->Pro, and with Switch->OLED.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I lucked out and got a good PS5 on day 1, but I'm still looking forward to trading it in for a more powerful one. The framerate/resolution/ray tracing choice paralysis has become obnoxious in certain new games for me, as someone who holds up the waiter in restaurants because I can't decide what to get. A Pro that manages to combine those choices (or at least reduce their number...Hogwarts had what, 5?) would be welcome.

Also there's something nice about transfering all your stuff from one system to a superior system, then getting money for the old one. Just feels good. Did that with PS4->Pro, and with Switch->OLED.

I do9ubt you will see 4k Ray Tracing 60 FPS with a step up to a Pro. You would likely see it with the PS6. But Sony needs to get off their ass and fix a whole lot of other shit first before I would consider buying a PS6. They have failed miserably in their UI, Dolby Support, and subscription packages. And both consoles have failed miserably at making stores better to get rid of * ALL * the fucking indie clutter. I am sick to death of seeing 67 new games a week all at $4.99. Just make a filter for AAA and be done with it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I do9ubt you will see 4k Ray Tracing 60 FPS with a step up to a Pro. You would likely see it with the PS6. But Sony needs to get off their ass and fix a whole lot of other shit first before I would consider buying a PS6. They have failed miserably in their UI, Dolby Support, and subscription packages. And both consoles have failed miserably at making stores better to get rid of * ALL * the fucking indie clutter. I am sick to death of seeing 67 new games a week all at $4.99. Just make a filter for AAA and be done with it.

Yeah the indie clutter is completely out of control. Takes an age and a half just to scroll through a sale at this point and I usually nope out after about 20 seconds of it cause I don't need a new game at 75% off THAT badly.

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
What I have started doing is just adding any interesting games I see / games I want to my wishlist and just follow that for sales. Helps save time to see if anything you want is on sale or becomes free with ps+

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What I have started doing is just adding any interesting games I see / games I want to my wishlist and just follow that for sales. Helps save time to see if anything you want is on sale or becomes free with ps+

Solid tip grandpa.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone gots overheating ps5's?

looks like this is prevalent in ps5s that are vertical, it creates a "dry spot" on the liquid metal
ad5ed6621bc8e27f3d3dc7fa30635d13.png

i'll be opening up my ps5 in a few days to see, note my lightly played ps5 has always been horizontal

i was going put liquid metal on an old ryzen 2600, but probably not.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
anyone gots overheating ps5's?

looks like this is prevalent in ps5s that are vertical, it creates a "dry spot" on the liquid metal
ad5ed6621bc8e27f3d3dc7fa30635d13.png

i'll be opening up my ps5 in a few days to see, note my lightly played ps5 has always been horizontal

i was going put liquid metal on an old ryzen 2600, but probably not.
no problems here but mine is very lightly played, and horizontal. I've looked at liquid metal but it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. I stopped doing open water loops in lieu of AIO coolers because I want to PLAY on the PC for pleasure , not maintain it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
no problems here but mine is very lightly played, and horizontal. I've looked at liquid metal but it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. I stopped doing open water loops in lieu of AIO coolers because I want to PLAY on the PC for pleasure , not maintain it.
yea i just bought a bottle of liquid metal just in case for the ps5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That vertical thing is a myth spread (and then retracted) by wololo because of a poorly worded claim another person made.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
That vertical thing is a myth spread (and then retracted) by wololo because of a poorly worded claim another person made.
Except the retraction was misunderstood and neither Wololo nor the original repair person said there wasn't an issue. They still say the issue is real but the gaming sites just put retraction in the headline and that's all people read. And the clarification doesn't even change much since who cares if there isn't evidence of this in unused console when he's saying it happens in consoles that actually get used but were never opened or repaired.

I mean, believe him or not, but the gaming media did them dirty on the clarification.

spronk

FPS noob
the way i've heard it, and this is all second hand info, is that launch PS5s were a bit overengineered with high quality parts to avoid overheating issues.

later iterations of the ps5 hardware have used cheaper parts and engineered more to exact spec so more susceptible to failure. The percentages are minor and I honestly doubt it'll really make any difference to most people

i've had my launch ps5 vertical since day 1 (coming up on 2 years 6 months) and its fine so far, knock on wood. Dust/particles is an issue I imagine, especially for people who smoke or have pets.

• 2Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've had a day one PS5 since...day one, and never had any issues with it whatsoever, so it's believable that they overengineered the first round.

That said, today happened to be the day I finally did have an issue. After playing Baldur for like 3 hours, I switched games, and suddenly there was a buzzing sound coming from the PS5. Kind of loud, too, sounded like a fan. Turning the system off and back on, then waiting on the start screen for a minute or so, the sound went away as the system "relaxed". Turned it back off to give it a break.

Might take it outside and blast it (the vents) with a hair dryer set on "cool" and see if I can get the dust out. The PS5 unfortunately has vents on top and when it stands upright in the open, they get very dusty over time.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The biggest difference i have seen through reviews is custom plates that have a fan vent for air movement perform noticeably better over a solid plate.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I've had a day one PS5 since...day one, and never had any issues with it whatsoever, so it's believable that they overengineered the first round.

That said, today happened to be the day I finally did have an issue. After playing Baldur for like 3 hours, I switched games, and suddenly there was a buzzing sound coming from the PS5. Kind of loud, too, sounded like a fan. Turning the system off and back on, then waiting on the start screen for a minute or so, the sound went away as the system "relaxed". Turned it back off to give it a break.

Might take it outside and blast it (the vents) with a hair dryer set on "cool" and see if I can get the dust out. The PS5 unfortunately has vents on top and when it stands upright in the open, they get very dusty over time.

I've had the same issue happen to me, for me it's from overheating and the fan kicking into overdrive. I have my PS5 in a cabinet, and I noticed that when the cabinet doors are slightly closed the space gets really hot and the PS5 fan gets really loud. When I open the cabinet doors wide open, the fan goes quite after 10 seconds or so.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've had my launch ps5 vertical since day 1 (coming up on 2 years 6 months) and its fine so far, knock on wood. Dust/particles is an issue I imagine, especially for people who smoke or have pets.
yea, but, have you opened it up and found a dry spot in the liquid metal tho?

Vorph

Some great deals on SSDs today:

(Prices are probably wrong on those embeds, they're actually $129.99 and $143.99.)

I have the XPG and it works perfectly, but for that small a difference in price I'd grab the Samsung.

yea, but, have you opened it up and found a dry spot in the liquid metal tho?
You'd have to be nuts to break the factory seal between the heatsink and CPU to check on something that only seems to have affected a tiny handful of consoles. For one thing, the real issue seems to be if the liquid metal leaks out onto something and causes a short, rather than the potential for overheating. Taking the heatsink off and trying to get it back on yourself is just going to increase the likelihood of that.

Plus I can't even find a single post on r/PS5 of someone claiming to have had the problem. If you're going to have a catastrophic PS5 failure, it's far more likely to be the CE-108255-1 error that my POS has repeatedly had. 2+ years later you can still find new posts showing up all the time on reddit and elsewhere from people who can no longer play some/all games without crashing.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
q-lite sounds stupid as fuck if its just a remote tablet basically for your PS5, would mean it requires always on internet to function. oh well, whatever i got a steam deck don't need your stupid shit sony

and yeah i'd never open my PS5 to fuck around reapplying thermal paste or anything, any time I try that shit with anything I own ends in 100% disaster. I just pop open the sides and vacuum whatever I see every 6 months or so.

The rumors above basically also say a PS5 Pro and a Ps5 Lite will release holiday 2024 so I'll be trading mine in and upgrading in a year and change anyways

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Remote Play dumb terminal sounds like a terrible idea. Especially since Sony will probably price it the same as an OLED Switch.

Still wish the Pro's weren't a year and a half away. That's a long time for my POS5 to last since Sony refused to RMA it for CE-108255-1 because "a new firmware update to address the problem will be out in early 2021" (never happened, people are still getting it in 2023). Currently it only works at all if I disable HDCP and I'm not sure that will escape Gamestop's notice if I try to trade it. I don't want a refresh model anyway, no point in spending the money except on a Pro upgrade.