Playstation 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yay, the CE-108255-1 error is back on my PS5 and Hogwarts Legacy crashes instantly every time I launch it now. First time it happened was with P5 Strikers shortly after I bought the console, which ended with a factory reset "fixing" the problem and Sony refusing to replace it because "a firmware update was coming to address the issue". That was 2 years ago, so apparently the firmware update was just a bunch of bullshit because I'm far from the only person still getting the error in 2023 and it's well reported on reddit and elsewhere that the only real fix for the problem is a new console. Of course my warranty is long gone now (which I'm sure was Sony's plan all along when they denied replacement for everyone it happened to) so I'm pretty much fucked there unless I want to trade mine into Gamestop and eat the ~$160 difference on a new one.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yay, the CE-108255-1 error is back on my PS5 and Hogwarts Legacy crashes instantly every time I launch it now. First time it happened was with P5 Strikers shortly after I bought the console, which ended with a factory reset "fixing" the problem and Sony refusing to replace it because "a firmware update was coming to address the issue". That was 2 years ago, so apparently the firmware update was just a bunch of bullshit because I'm far from the only person still getting the error in 2023 and it's well reported on reddit and elsewhere that the only real fix for the problem is a new console. Of course my warranty is long gone now (which I'm sure was Sony's plan all along when they denied replacement for everyone it happened to) so I'm pretty much fucked there unless I want to trade mine into Gamestop and eat the ~$160 difference on a new one.

This error prevents running any games?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know if the M.2 drive gets wiped when you factory reset a PS5? I know the drive isn't bound to a particular system but I'm concerned it will wipe anything that's connected if I don't physically uninstall it first.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Played the shit out of VR2 today. Gran Turismo is pretty awesome. Resident Evil plays really well, although I opted for the smooth turning option, which game me just a tinge of motion sickness. Not full out nausea, but that dry mouth beginning stage. Also got the demos for Horizon and Star Wars. Star Wars was fun, but Horizon was next level. Wasn't originally planning on getting it, but the demo might've changed my mind.
I chose the wrong settings on RE, any idea how to choose the other dominant eye for aiming?

I got a PS5 compatible wheel today for GT7, working on getting it set up on the old PC racing rig:

20230226_163646.jpg
20230226_180934.jpg

20230226_180901.jpg
20230226_180949.jpg

• 10Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 10 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone try Like A Dragon: Ishin?

Just came out a few days ago and I feel like I've seen nothing about it ANYWHERE, like it barely existts. Crazy because the Yakuza series was popular for a while and the first Like A Dragon was a great RPG.

Szlia

There was a big Kotaku article about it. It should be noted that while it uses the "new" moniker "Like A Dragon" the combat is action based like the previous Yakuza games (that were all titled "Like a Dragon" in Japan). I never played Ishin, but I played Kenzan, the previous samurai spin-off set a bit after 1600 and it was great. Ishin is set in the mid XIXth century, so the vibe is a bit different, but I am sure the weird meshing of actual japanese history and the cast of the serie works well here also.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know if the M.2 drive gets wiped when you factory reset a PS5? I know the drive isn't bound to a particular system but I'm concerned it will wipe anything that's connected if I don't physically uninstall it first.

Doesn't appear to effect it.

• Games and apps saved in M.2 SSD storage aren't included in backup data. You can continue using your M.2 SSD storage drive as usual on the PS5 console that you're restoring.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There was a big Kotaku article about it. It should be noted that while it uses the "new" moniker "Like A Dragon" the combat is action based like the previous Yakuza games (that were all titled "Like a Dragon" in Japan). I never played Ishin, but I played Kenzan, the previous samurai spin-off set a bit after 1600 and it was great. Ishin is set in the mid XIXth century, so the vibe is a bit different, but I am sure the weird meshing of actual japanese history and the cast of the serie works well here also.

Oh, this one isn't an RPG like LAD? Weird that they called it LAD then, I thought it was basically the second RPG with a historical setting. So it's more of an unrelated spinoff.

I know they're also doing a Yakuza Inter-quel showing what Kiryu was doing during Like A Dragon: Yakuza 7, then moving on to an actual Yakuza 8 with him back as the main character.

So basically they really threw the RPG (and its main character) under the bus, even if he is gonna show up in Yakuza 8.

On the bright side, it's pretty great to have a new Yakuza game with two more on the way, esp when I thought the series was done-zo a few years ago. Yakuza is probably the single biggest "pleasant surprise" I've gotten from gaming in the last 5 years or so, and there was a whole series of it.

Szlia

Rajaah Rajaah maybe your confusion comes from the fact Ishin is not a new game, it's a re-release (somewhat remastered I think ?) of a game from 2014 that previously was available only in Japan. My understanding is that future mainline Like a Dragon games will go on with the RPG formula.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Started playing Stick of Truth, what in the hell is this?

PXL_20230305_123154388.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 3Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Started playing Stick of Truth, what in the hell is this?

View attachment 461734

Stick of Truth is one of the most enjoyable games I played last decade I think. It's a little like Earthbound, only with South Park characters. So much weirdness and "Am I really seeing this" moments. I think I even got the platinum for it. This "censored" scene is the same in all versions I think. Like I don't think they actually show it in any of them.

The sequel (Fractured But Whole) is also good but I didn't like it nearly as much. I guess the novelty had worn off. That and FBW was 2017 or so and full of woke references (mostly to make fun of them) in a way that SoT (2013 I think) wasn't. SoT was more...innocent I guess? So I didn't do as much with the sequel.

• 1Pants on Fire!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
US (Steam) version definitely was not censored for those scenes.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe im taking crazy pills here or just spoiled by almost every other competent system (Xbox, Steam) but... why not just make this all work seamlessly instead of prompt, etc? Make it a platform feature, multi-generational, for all titles that are able to support it? This has always been such an arduous process on Sony consoles just so they can paywall it off for subscribers.

1678304089447.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just want to see PS5 somehow get backwards-compatibility with PS3. As it is the PS3 is kind of in a limbo, too recent to reliably emulate and too old for the games to be cheap. It's also very hard to screen-capture or screen-record PS3 games.

Probably gonna need to wait for a new system for that though. A PS6 with all of the PS5 features, plus expanded up-resing of games, plus PS3 backwards compatibility (plus up-resing). That would be sick, and PS3 games would instantly experience a revival of sorts.

I mean ideally I'd like it if the current Playstation could play games from all five gens, but I know that's a ridiculous ask at that point.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I wouldn't care if they just emulate more of the PS3 games and throw it on PSN instead. Would rather play stuff like the FF13 trilogy on my PS5 than PC.

Last edited:

Nija

<Silver Donator>
PS3 had a really dumb architecture that most likely makes it difficult to emulate.

• 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't care if they just emulate more of the PS3 games and throw it on PSN instead. Would rather play stuff like the FF13 trilogy on my PS5 than PC.

The FF13 trilogy really needs a remaster/collection on modern systems. Another thing that's locked in PS3 purgatory while every other FF is playable on modern systems (including the first 6 in a month or two).