Playstation 5

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My PS5 takes like 20 seconds to turn on, why do you guys never turn it off?

What's the harm in rest mode? As mentioned, it downloads updates and can charge controllers in rest mode, so I'm not seeing the benefit of turning it off completely. It gets rebooted occasionally due to system file updates anyway, so I think I've turned mine off a grand total of 3-4 times ever, all due to needing to unplug it for whatever reason.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Nope I don't think I had any crashes in either (PS5)
make that 3. Just hard crashed right as entering the fight with Sarevok. Wonder if it's because I'm playing off of an add on m2 drive

edit: Moved the game to the main console drive to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What's the harm in rest mode? As mentioned, it downloads updates and can charge controllers in rest mode, so I'm not seeing the benefit of turning it off completely. It gets rebooted occasionally due to system file updates anyway, so I think I've turned mine off a grand total of 3-4 times ever, all due to needing to unplug it for whatever reason.
It was causing issues early on and damaging some systems. It may be fixed by now though, I never really hear about it anymore.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Out of all the bundle deals for a PS5, from a big box store, which is the best bang for the buck? Any opinions from those that bought a PS5 and wish they would have a done a bundle or chose a different bundle?

spronk

FPS noob
you just missed the $50 discount they were running on the God of War bundle, effectively making GOW2 free with the console purchase.

Final Fantasy 16 releases in a little over a month and Sony will do a big marketing push for it, there is a version w/ special controller releasing in japan but dunno if its coming out here too. That'd be a good one to wait for.

Otherwise if no discount just a regular disc ps5 is fine at the store where you get the biggest discount - best buy, costco, target, etc everyone has it in stock. You'll also want to get a 1 or 2TB NVME drive w/ heatsink to stick in it, easiest to do when you are setting up so you never have to open or fiddle with it again

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There's no need to get a new drive if you don't need to have 30 games installed at all times. Yeah, you can get a bit faster than stock but really not worth it since load times are already fine. Go buy 5-10 games instead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I got a PS5 on day one with no extra hard drive and have never had an issue. I also don't have 30 games downloaded at once though. Maybe 10-15 at maximum, and deleting games / reinstalling another one usually takes all of two minutes. Given the high price of the hard drives, it's unnecessary and kind of silly when that money could be used to buy a bunch of games instead.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Btw, people were saying PS Plus was getting worse and they were taking away the library of free games? I didn't follow that closely but I see way more free than I ever saw before. Literally I think hundreds. This is only plus essentials and not premium.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Btw, people were saying PS Plus was getting worse and they were taking away the library of free games? I didn't follow that closely but I see way more free than I ever saw before. Literally I think hundreds. This is only plus essentials and not premium.
They recently took away the PS Plus collection they were offering to promote sales of the PS5. If you added those games to your library before they went away then you still have access to them. Otherwise Plus is like any other gaming service and games are taken away/added at different times. I had premium for a while but it wasn't worth it to me, the PS3 games I liked were streaming only.

DickTrickle

They recently took away the PS Plus collection they were offering to promote sales of the PS5. If you added those games to your library before they went away then you still have access to them. Otherwise Plus is like any other gaming service and games are taken away/added at different times. I had premium for a while but it wasn't worth it to me, the PS3 games I liked were streaming only.
Okay, but it doesn't seem like that big a deal when there's hundreds of games available for free. I really don't recall there being that many games when I first bought my PS5, just that collection of 20 or so.

joz123

Potato del Grande
The quality of games they have added lately is awesome. I've had to buy very few games because of Plus. People just like to bitch that some games are taken away when way more are added.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You must be talking about Extra tier, that's Plus combined with what used to be PS Now. The base tier is shit, but Extra isn't bad if you skipped all the good PS4 games when they were new and were late to the party getting a PS5.

DickTrickle

You must be talking about Extra tier, that's Plus combined with what used to be PS Now. The base tier is shit, but Extra isn't bad if you skipped all the good PS4 games when they were new and were late to the party getting a PS5.
Yeah, I'm extra So was the limited 20ish game catalog part of the lowest tier before? I didn't think that it was but if so I get the ruffled feathers more.

Also the extra seems to have a number of PS5 games, not just PS4.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Extra is the best tier. Premiums only good if you wanna play older games like the PS3 ones but they are streaming only.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, the PS+ Collection pre-dated the merger of Plus and Now by a couple years. Everyone with a PS5 and a PS+ sub was able to add the games to their library.

There's some PS5 games on there but other than Horizon FW it's mostly stuff from around PS5 launch. It's great for a lot of people no doubt, but all I get out of it is being able to play the games I already own without getting out the disc. (And it still bugs me that Sony can't manage to do something as simple as letting you switch from physical to digital without having to download the whole game again when MS' Smart Delivery works perfectly.)

• 1Like