Playstation 5

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
A number of the big studios are over 50% digital sales now iirc, many people simply don't need the drive, and of course Sony has their own incentives to push it.

"We've known for some time that game sales are starting to skew more and more towards digital over physical, and Sony's latest stats reinforce this trend to a significant degree. A staggering 91 million PS4 games were sold during the first quarter of fiscal year 2020, and a huge 74 per cent of those sales were made through the PlayStation Store."​
It's the SKU I'd buy.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I don’t want a Blu-ray player, is storage expandable? I’d just want to be able to download games anyways.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I will probably go with the disc drive. I very rarely use it for that but I’ve also seen how the switch never has anything digital on sale. I rarely buy when a game first comes out, usually wait and get it half or more off later, whether new or used. I think I’d save the $100 eventually.

Now Sony isn’t nearly as scrooge with their digital prices like Nintendo but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t start leaning that way once the majority of owners are digital. IDK, probably a pointless stance on it but that’s how I’m looking at it. I’m always “I’d rather have it and not need it than the other way around” kind of person

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
japan leak

Egs43OtUcAArWIS.jpg:large

If it's legit it's around what everyone was expecting. Global launch of November 20 seems questionable though.

Any particular reason the Japanese are getting it on the 14th or is this just the usual ROW second-class experience?

spronk

FPS noob
japan master race

also while everyone thinks the PS5 digital is equivalent to the PS5 disc except for no drive, we don't actually know that. For a while there were rumors the digital would come with a 1.65TB SSD while the disc would be 825GB SSD. It seems more and more likely both are equivalent though.

Its also interesting dualshock 5 will be $60, considering DS4s have been $65 for a while now

I don’t want a Blu-ray player, is storage expandable? I’d just want to be able to download games anyways.

both Xbox and PS5 support external SSD. Xbox's will require custom xbox branded hardware, PS5 is supposed to be a bit more generic and basically a specific type of approved SSD thats fast enough. Both also allow you to use USB3 drives to archive games or to play PS4/current gen games, but will only run "next gen" games on SSD drives.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
japan master race

This always makes me laugh with Japanese MMOs. There's little to no communication with anyone outside of Japan and absolutely zero dev discussion. Patch notes etc have to be translated from the Japanese release and yet the Japanese playerbase usually represents the minority.

Take FFXIV, active characters worldwide 647k split between NA 280k, JP 242k, EU 125k. So, almost two thirds of the playerbase are English-speaking yet the comms are all in Japanese.

If just serves to make the weebo apologists even more tedious.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its also interesting dualshock 5 will be $60, considering DS4s have been $65 for a while now
They were $45-50 for most of the life of the system though. I suspect the current $65 price tag has more to do with Wu flu + ramping down production.

both Xbox and PS5 support external SSD. Xbox's will require custom xbox branded hardware, PS5 is supposed to be a bit more generic and basically a specific type of approved SSD thats fast enough. Both also allow you to use USB3 drives to archive games or to play PS4/current gen games, but will only run "next gen" games on SSD drives.
To clarify that a bit:

XSeX supports USB drives for archiving or playing old games, and a custom 1TB NVMe SSD that plugs into a special slot on the back which is basically the same as the internal drive. Simplicity also comes at the price of much less raw speed than Sony's storage system (how that translates from theoretical speed to actual game performance remains to be seen though).

PS5 also supports USB for archive/BC, but upgradable storage for current gen games comes in the form of an internal drive bay that you'll have to open the case up to fill with a special Sony-certified SSD (which as far as I can tell doesn't exist yet, and might not even by release day). I think it's a safe bet that drives that meet Sony's standards are going to be a lot more expensive than the one MS had Seagate make for them, especially if you start looking for a 2TB version.

Another thing about using external USB SSDs on both consoles... you probably won't want them for anything but archival purposes if you even bother at all. One of the main reasons the new gen will play BC games so well is because the games are installed to the new storage tech. If you put it an old external drive you'll lose out on most of that. Even the 1TB USB 3.2 SSD drive I use on my X1X now will be rather pointless and I'll probably just end up reformatting it for one of my PCs.

Szlia

"We've known for some time that game sales are starting to skew more and more towards digital over physical, and Sony's latest stats reinforce this trend to a significant degree. A staggering 91 million PS4 games were sold during the first quarter of fiscal year 2020, and a huge 74 per cent of those sales were made through the PlayStation Store."​
Isn't that quote somewhat missleading considering the number of cheap games that are digital only ?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Isn't that quote somewhat missleading considering the number of cheap games that are digital only ?

Oh for sure, I'd concede that, but it doesn't invalidate the point. Earnings over time have shown the explosion of digital adoption over the last generation and it's accelerating IMO.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This always makes me laugh with Japanese MMOs. There's little to no communication with anyone outside of Japan and absolutely zero dev discussion. Patch notes etc have to be translated from the Japanese release and yet the Japanese playerbase usually represents the minority.

Take FFXIV, active characters worldwide 647k split between NA 280k, JP 242k, EU 125k. So, almost two thirds of the playerbase are English-speaking yet the comms are all in Japanese.

If just serves to make the weebo apologists even more tedious.
For the big announcements(live letters during fan fests for next expansion), they have live translations. For everything else it's fan based and then they release the official translation later(although all the panels have english on them so you can somewhat understand most of it, just not the details/Q&A stuff they do inbetween). I guess part of it is wanting to make it live, versus pre recorded. For MHW for example, the dev messages are pre recorded, so they dub them right away, but if you do it live and you have someone doing translations, it takes a lot more time(during the fanfest the live letters go on for hours).

Not sure why they're releasing the consoles early in japan though, since this is fairly different and the japanese market is a lot smaller nowadays for consoles, especially new hardware.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Assuming I end up buying both consoles eventually, I wouldn't make any plans on which to buy with or without a BR drive until the full specs and software capabilities are known. People love to tout how superior xbone is compared to PS4 for BR movies, but the xbone is still a bottom-tier BR player due to its lack of Dolby Vision support, among other things. It just happens that the PS4 is even shittier. Corners are going to get cut to keep these new consoles above break-even and until there's 3rd party confirmation that they have all the expected features of a standalone BR player I'm still going to be skeptical.

That said, my X1X being a disappointingly poor BR player didn't actually spur me to go by a standalone so I guess I don't actually care about movies on physical disc all that much anyway. At this point what's really making me want to stick with the models with the drive is a combination of Gamefly (both my rental plan and the often super cheap option to keep the games) and physical game sales at Amazon/GS/Walmart/BB/etc. that are generally far better than digital prices.

If BR movies matter to you and you don't have a standalone, you should definitely wait for full hardware reviews.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My only issue with the digital only console is i still have some disc PS4 games. I have an OPPO for a blu ray player so i don't need these to be a ghetto blu ray for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My only issue with the digital only console is i still have some disc PS4 games. I have an OPPO for a blu ray player so i don't need these to be a ghetto blu ray for me.
If BC with ps4 games is at all important than clearly the disc version is going to be what you want.

Even without that though, I can’t see myself going for the digital version (if I even get one at all). Not having the option of getting in on retailer sales is kind of a deal breaker. You can always get some good deals around Christmas time on games, and the digital sales aren’t always as good or are for different games. Plus the various B2G1 sales or $40 sale of relatively recent games.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I wonder if the digital will have better heat management due to less hardware, the drive. All my games are digital, but I want the option of bying a disc / get cheap ps4 games in the future. What’s 100 bucks in all this? Nothing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if the digital will have better heat management due to less hardware, the drive. All my games are digital, but I want the option of bying a disc / get cheap ps4 games in the future. What’s 100 bucks in all this? Nothing.

I don’t think disc drives generate much heat.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Probably not. But they take up a little space, no? Airflow etc.

Yeah but it’s not like they’re cramming it into the discless model. It has a different frame with its own dedicated space. Unless they’re complete engineering failures I wouldn’t imagine the airflow is much different between the two models. I’m just talking out of my ass really but I wouldn’t worry about the flow being different, if they had the same small frame I would.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user