Playstation 5

spronk

FPS noob

if thats true then PS5 was gonna be $599 and PS5D $550. I wonder if they will drop to $450 and $499 or $499 and $550

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was wondering if that's what happened when 9/9 came and went without so much as a peep out of Sony.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

if thats true then PS5 was gonna be $599 and PS5D $550. I wonder if they will drop to $450 and $499 or $499 and $550

I think they really need to or they’re going to have problems. A more powerful system out there that is much cheaper plus all the graphics card competition going on right now, I don’t think they have time to fuck around and price themselves out of the race.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think they really need to or they’re going to have problems. A more powerful system out there that is much cheaper plus all the graphics card competition going on right now, I don’t think they have time to fuck around and price themselves out of the race.
You overestimate how much people care about the teraflops. People will still buy overpriced Apple products because it's Apple even if there's better and cheaper products, and for the most part consoles are the same. People are more likely to be swayed by a fancy exclusive game than by the performances, especially when the differences will probably still be small. Case in point, the Switch. Shit wasn't even competitive with 3years old consoles and still sold a lot and is still selling, because of Mario, Zelda and all the other shit(and the portability and stuff too).

Granted if they sell a fair bit above they might hurt a bit but if they just align themselves I don't think anyone who wanted a playstation because of the games is going to be "oh no for the same price I could get 3more teraflops" or whatever. Still won't be able to play Spiderman or God of War or whatever else with the additional power.

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You overestimate how much people care about the teraflops. People will still buy overpriced Apple products because it's Apple even if there's better and cheaper products outside, and for the most part consoles are the same. People are more likely to be swayed by a fancy exclusive game than by the performances, especially when the differences will probably still be small. Case in point, the Switch. Shit wasn't even competitive with 3years old consoles and still sold a lot and is still selling, because of Mario, Zelda and all the other shit(and the portability and stuff too).

Granted if they sell a fair bit above they might hurt a bit but if they just align themselves I don't think anyone who wanted a playstation because of the games is going to be "oh no for the same price I could get 3more teraflops" or whatever. Still won't be able to play Spiderman or God of War or whatever else with the additional power.

I was mostly referring to the price and the holiday season. Lots of people lost income this year and a $299 console looks a lot better than a $599 console to a parent. And if they feel like they can get something that’s equal or better for $499, even better.

Im guessing you’re mostly right though, I think people are already bought into the ecosystem that they’re going to upgrade to. I mean both install bases are probably going to stick with the one they already have a ton of games for. If it was a hard reset, typical console release it may be different.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was mostly referring to the price and the holiday season. Lots of people lost income this year and a $299 console looks a lot better than a $599 console to a parent. And if they feel like they can get something that’s equal or better for $499, even better.

Im guessing you’re mostly right though, I think people are already bought into the ecosystem that they’re going to upgrade to. I mean both install bases are probably going to stick with the one they already have a ton of games for. If it was a hard reset, typical console release it may be different.
Oh the series S will definitely change some things around for parents and all that like you said but for current owners of systems that are planning to upgrade, they're most likely just buying the same system or changing because of reasons other than the price. Also I think Sony might eat a bigger loss to get closer than 100$ tbh, that does sound like too much. At the very least I don't think they'll be more than 50$ over.

As for people with lost income that can't afford it, luckily for them, this launch looks like one of the shittiest launch ever, for both consoles, so they could just wait sometimes next year when it gets better(that is if a meteor doesn't decide to crash onto the planet as a nice ending for this shit year). Like there's really very little reasons to rush and buy the consoles especially since a bunch of the games will still release on the old ones until probably late 2021.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
PS5 year one, yeah its one of the saddest console launches ever - I think most of these games have already been delayed post launch too. hopefully on wed they have some surprises up their sleeves

20200912_140040.jpg

rumors flying fast though that Microsoft is preparing to announce a huge spend on something, speculation about VR, something about Destiny, or I even heard a crazy one about World of Warcraft coming to gamepass

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

599 is probably gonna be a pass from me. At least for a while. I would probably end up buying an Xbox first.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
PS5 year one, yeah its one of the saddest console launches ever - I think most of these games have already been delayed post launch too. hopefully on wed they have some surprises up their sleeves

20200912_140040.jpg

rumors flying fast though that Microsoft is preparing to announce a huge spend on something, speculation about VR, something about Destiny, or I even heard a crazy one about World of Warcraft coming to gamepass

Yeah that’s a pretty weak line up. The only one I’m interested in is Demons Souls. I’ll probably get one in a year or two especially if the $599 price is true, and they don’t offer anything other than glossy white. I’ve never picked up a console in the first year, the launch titles are always fairly poor and it looks like this is no exception. I’d like to play some of my ps4 stuff in 4K, but not that badly.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

spronk spronk I am not sure what will be launch window and what has been kicked further down the road, but you might want to go check some of the previous generations launch line-ups if you feel this one is bad.

Horizon was very well received and there is no reason to think the sequel will be any different. Spiderman is a kind of DLC but people enjoyed the base game. Gran Turismo always will have its public. Ratchet & Clank is a serie that had its up and downs, but the PS3 games were stand outs at the time. Demon's Souls is a remake but of a great game not that many people played (but might feel a bit dated since the formula and combat system got through many iterations since then). These few are known quantities and they form a solid line-up with a bit for everyone. In the bunch of new IPs that form the rest of the list, I am sure we will get some let-downs, but I am also confident we will get some good surprises. For my money, the number of new IPs in itself is a good surprise.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You have fair points but those aren’t all launch titles. Horizon is 2021 I think. No idea on the rest but I’m guessing there are more that aren’t actually launch titles, they’re just coming out the first year.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
You have fair points but those aren’t all launch titles. Horizon is 2021 I think. No idea on the rest but I’m guessing there are more that aren’t actually launch titles, they’re just coming out the first year.

For real. What even are the guaranteed launch titles at this point?

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's a pretty terrible lineup. Demon's is dirty. All sony had to do is hang onto the IP, wait until Souls gained enough momentum not only to attract a fiendishly obsessive fanbase (I count myself among them) across all platforms but to cross over into resounding mainstream success, then get some other (and very talented) company to resurrect the ip and thereby compel dedicated pc types not otherwise inclined to adopt sony hardware early, to adopt sony hardware early, and all without pressuring from into diverting work from elden. I can't help myself, I'm in. Other exclusives will come, but the damn thing will gather dust for months after I'm done with demon's

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't have a ps4 so I recon with the backwards compatibility it will be a wise purchase for me.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don't have a ps4 so I recon with the backwards compatibility it will be a wise purchase for me.

Yeah if you’re just getting into the ecosystem you have an amazing amount of really good shit to pick up.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For real. What even are the guaranteed launch titles at this point?
AC Valhalla? Only one pictured there that I've seen a 2020 date on is the Spider-Man glorified expansion pack, but I'm not really following a lot of them closely. What's really sad is that Yakuza: Like a Dragon is confirmed as a Series X launch title, but the PS5 release date is still up in the air.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
AC Valhalla? Only one pictured there that I've seen a 2020 date on is the Spider-Man glorified expansion pack, but I'm not really following a lot of them closely. What's really sad is that Yakuza: Like a Dragon is confirmed as a Series X launch title, but the PS5 release date is still up in the air.

Seriously, there is basically nothing set in stone for a console launch. And of the ones that might be out, which ones are ps5 exclusives or 1st party titles? What is the exclusive ps5 launch title that is going to move this console.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Seriously, there is basically nothing set in stone for a console launch. And of the ones that might be out, which ones are ps5 exclusives or 1st party titles? What is the exclusive ps5 launch title that is going to move this console.

I don’t think there is one at all. Horizon really should have been a launch title to help move the console, but it isn’t. It’s a weird line up of stuff that already exists on the current console or is on every other console/pc already.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You overestimate how much people care about the teraflops. People will still buy overpriced Apple products because it's Apple even if there's better and cheaper products, and for the most part consoles are the same. People are more likely to be swayed by a fancy exclusive game than by the performances, especially when the differences will probably still be small. Case in point, the Switch. Shit wasn't even competitive with 3years old consoles and still sold a lot and is still selling, because of Mario, Zelda and all the other shit(and the portability and stuff too).

Switch is portable and a cheaper. Not sure you're comparing apples to apples here

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah we haven't heard actual launch dates for Spidey, Gran Turismo 7, Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank, or Godfall. A bunch on the list is already 2021 like Kena and Horizon Zero Dawn 2. I imagine we'll probably get some confirms of launch titles on wed so probably not a huge deal, but its also possible a few of these games are getting hit hard with final crunch and covid so could get delayed.

Thats why its weird neither Sony nor Microsoft is giving CDPR like $20m to guarantee a next gen patch day 1 for Cyberpunk 2077, that feels like the game everyone is gonna want to play on their shiny new console. So far CDPR has not committed to a date for a next gen patch, just that you'll be playing the ps4/xb1 version which won't have RTX or other next gen features. You'll need a PC for that