Playstation 5

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's because MS has no chance in hell of getting better games so they have to do gimmicky shit to be different. Woop de doo I can hear gun shots in Halo like I'm at a theater. People using that as a reason to get Xbox instead are pathetic and deserve to waste money on that shitbox.
I have explained this a number of times but for those in my circle who are less technically proficient, who balk at spenting $500+ on video cards, who don't keep up with their drives but who still want to play games, its just so much easier to when they ask me what to buy: An Xbox. Everything that comes out for the PC comes out for the Xbox, I don't have to support a thousand shitty malware programs their kids download, I don't have to update their video card drivers, I don't have to do any of that crap. Buy this game, buy xbox live gold, connect here, boom we are playing. It also works for the PS5 now, probably, too but I prefer the Xbox Live environment to Sony's, and for people who don't want to buy every game but play a lot of them (few and fewer of my friends as we get older admittedly), GamePass is a convincing value proposition. Hell, now you can can financing the f'ing thing for 35 bucks a month get all the games but the sony exclusives and a top of the line machine to play them on for the price of Netflix and HBOMax.

We aren't the Xbox thread so I will say this: I love the PlayStation, too: I don't have a team. I think Sony has the exact right approach to consoles, even if the PS4 Pro was less powerful than I would have liked Mid Gen, it gave me the chance to enjoy VR; exclusives are absolutely the way Sony should engage the market and they are crafting some of the finest gaming experiences. Destiny on my PS4 was revelatory for me in how I could enjoy a FPS/RPG lite game online. It truly was an experience like none other I have ever had. Thinking that Sony have this sown up and MS's strategy has no merit, though, is to deny Nintendo's approach has any merit, also as it is also qualitatively different from Sony's as well.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There won't be any games for it worth giving a shit about before then anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
i deliberately didn't buy ghosts of tsushima so I could play something I know was good with a new console (and give me time to clear out my ps4/xb1 backlog now), but still pretty undecided if i want a ps5 now or not. If they said flat out there will be a day 1 Cyberpunk 2077 patch it'd be an easy buy, i wanna play that game at launch. But other than that there is literally not a single other game I am that interested in until Hitman 3 in Jan.

unless they are insanely hard to get (which is rare for me since i'm at home all the time) i'll probably buy both consoles, i tend to just donate my older consoles to charities in holiday time and buy a new one. makes the wife happy and i get new shit without any need to negotiate. The xbox definitely feels like a joke at this point though, there is literally nothing interesting coming out for it that will be enhanced only for Series X. The only thing might be that its vastly more powerful than PS5, which i guess we'll find out wed. Seems very unlikely though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
50% rejection rate on the system-on-a-chip core sounds abysmal. Doubly so when you realize they must have relaxed their testing criteria a bit to even get it to that point and so its likely that somewhere around 10% of the units shipped will have underperforming cores.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
50% rejection rate on the system-on-a-chip core sounds abysmal. Doubly so when you realize they must have relaxed their testing criteria a bit to even get it to that point and so its likely that somewhere around 10% of the units shipped will have underperforming cores.

MS would be running into the same issue - I would say at least Sony is being transparent about it.

Malkav

French Madman
Yup, first batch looks risky.
They went with less cores than the Xbox but at a much higher frequency, no wonder the yields are so shitty.

Malkav

French Madman
MS would be running into the same issue - I would say at least Sony is being transparent about it.

I'm not sure. Yields issue may very well be frequency related.

XBoxSeX GPU runs at 1825Mhz, while the PS5 GPU runs at 2,23Ghz. Binning has to be a lot more strict if you want to reach those frequencies, even with less cores.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
3753f5a1b63693111f9081759316e0e2.png

we'll call it playstation

years later

what do we call the next one?
The Xbox Series S will not run Xbox One X enhanced versions of backwards compatible games, but will instead run Xbox One S versions of Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles.
(what the fuck does this mean?)

c030e7b598313b0329fb28c6de1cb8fe.png

playstation 2

and so on and so on

Jesus Christ Ken Kutaragi, 20years ago he made an excellent choice in naming his future machines.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Think the issue was Microsoft didn't want the Xbox 2 competing against the PlayStation 3 so they went with random names.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It means that X1X enhanced games can expect to see 12GB of RAM in the current console and since the XSeS only has 10GB they disabled the enhanced mode rather than risk having the games perform poorly or crash due to lack of memory.

• 1Truth!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I think he was mostly pretending to be confused about the naming conventions.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure. Yields issue may very well be frequency related.

XBoxSeX GPU runs at 1825Mhz, while the PS5 GPU runs at 2,23Ghz. Binning has to be a lot more strict if you want to reach those frequencies, even with less cores.

Ack. Good point I didn't think about that.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

years later

playstation 2

and so on and so on

Jesus Christ Ken Kutaragi, 20years ago he made an excellent choice in naming his future machines.

When common sense strikes the gaming industry.

Microsoft and common sense marketing would intrude their idea to confuse the shit out of everyone to scapegoat their lack of any quality 1st party titles. Smoke and mirrors! :p

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

years later

playstation 2

and so on and so on

Other companies could really learn from this. When you go try to buy Apple products, Jesus Christ is it a mess. iPhone X, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE, iPhone 9 released after the 10. Same goes for their iPads and laptops.

Just call it the iPhone 2020, Small, medium, large.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I discovered a simple solution to that problem way back in 1990, and it has worked flawlessly for me ever since.
30 years now Vorph

Damn bro you still wearing that thing?

1600190484038.png

• 1Worf