Playstation 5

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Wait you don't think the next gen will try to go beyond 60 fps? I mean you could be right in what you've said here but it seems like it's the next logical step to try and push for those 144. Maybe the technology isn't there yet at the price point. But I feel like it would be an insult to cap base systems at 30 fps with the progress consoles have made. Then again we took a step back with backwards compatibility after PS2 early PS3 and now we're fucking praising them (rightfully so) for putting it back into the PS5 (rumored?).

EDIT: Also I'm a little out of the loop with current TV refresh rates and how that impacts FPS on consoles so maybe I'm drawing too many parallels to the PC market where its more complex then that.

Any games that would be capable of 144fps would be smaller third party games like rocket league and ones like that. AAA games are going to focus on 4k and good visuals before they aim for 60fps, let alone 144. We can't even get that high @ 4k on PC hardware yet(in AAA games), let alone w/e the consoles will have.

As for VRR, it's going to largely remove the need to aim for a specific set frame rate and let them have some variance in the performance without it being a stuttery mess. But, the user will still need a capable display for it, so it's not as though they can just throw away optimizing smooth framerates altogether.

In the end I think what we'll see is that developers will have a whole lot of options available to them, but whether or not they focus on all of them is up in the air, and just how many people are still stuck on old-ass displays

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wait you don't think the next gen will try to go beyond 60 fps? I mean you could be right in what you've said here but it seems like it's the next logical step to try and push for those 144. Maybe the technology isn't there yet at the price point. But I feel like it would be an insult to cap base systems at 30 fps with the progress consoles have made. Then again we took a step back with backwards compatibility after PS2 early PS3 and now we're fucking praising them (rightfully so) for putting it back into the PS5 (rumored?).

EDIT: Also I'm a little out of the loop with current TV refresh rates and how that impacts FPS on consoles so maybe I'm drawing too many parallels to the PC market where its more complex then that.
There's no way consoles go past 60 next gen, there's no reason to, they don't even go to 60 consistently currently and if they increase the image quality further and keep doing 4k, there's just not going to be a way to display that at more than 60FPS anyway. Like even currently on PC to get 4K 60FPS on ultra you need a pretty beefy computer and obviously the consoles are like 2+years away so tech will advance but they'll still want to keep prices down so they won't be using the equivalent of a 3k$ PC in 2years, more like a 3k$ PC now(2080ti and 9900k level of performance).

Reality imo is next gen will still be 4K 60FPS top, and most likely 30FPS on a variety of games. It'll just be baseline, instead of requiring a new "pro" console to do it, and it'll run better/with more effects.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

The only thing that will kill the consoles [...]
I did not mean to imply consoles would die (it would with the streaming scenario, but I don't believe in it), more like the endless race for increasingly marginal power gains could actually end, killing with it the idea of console 'generation'. You could still have increases in powers, but, just like the PC market, both games and machines could be retro-compatible (a current PC can run older games, an old PC can run current games). From a business point of view, some would say it would be bad, because the console cycles allow every few years to re-energize the market. My point of view, is that with each new console cycle you also lose people who don't make the jump (remember that the dirty secret of the video game industry is its extremely bad user retention rate). On top of that, there are big chunks of the population of the big markets that are one gen behind because their entertainment budget does not allow for current gen machines. More importantly, there are huge chunks of the world that are in this situation (the current gen market for consoles outside of North America, Europe, Japan and South Korea is, last I checked, close to non-existent - unless China changed its regulations and the under-powered Switch changed the landscape somewhat). If you keep games retro-compatible with the PS5 as baseline, the size of the potential user pool of a new game in 2035 becomes just absurdly big.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That's MS's stated purpose (PC-like forward compatibility), Sony's yet to really make their intentions clear though they've tried and largely failed w/ their own cross-buy / cross-play initiatives. Unless they adopt a similar approach and my library grows every generation and no longer resets for the most part I'll just buy a PlayStation every other year as long as they're backward compatible and consoles are still relevant.

If successful, In a decade a developer could release a game like Super Meat Boy on the Xbox 360 and have that version compatible with every MS console released since. If Sony can do something similar (even if it starts w/ the PS4) I think we'll all benefit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So PS3 and PS4 I bought on launch day. I didn't regret it, but also the shininess wore off pretty quick. I definitely got my money worth, but I also wish I waited for the PS4 pro on that same token.

I probably won't get a launch console again unless there's a super compelling reason (bb2). I don't give a whole lot of shit about what media formats and video fidelity and audio fidelity shit it'll have, I only care about the games.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am still a huge back log of games into Ps4. No way I give a shit about Ps5 at least until it's 2nd or 3rd gen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Consoles don't excite me anymore. I find myself using them for the exclusives, which are rather limited, and the rest of the time they are expensive things that play netflix.

Feels bad man.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Unless the PS5 supports Dolby Vision natively, smart TV software is better at Netflix too. Hulu and Prime Video I tend to use on the PS4 since they only have basic HDR10 support. What I want to see about the PS5 is something more specific than "has physical media". They need to come right out and say the thing actually has a 4K Blu-ray player in it. And hopefully a much better one than the Xbone got, since after the initial praise for MS including something Sony never bothered to wore off and serious videophile sites reviewed it, it turned out Xbone was a bottom-tier BD player anyway.

Doesn't really matter though, since it has BC and the ultra-fast SSD in it is supposed to make all the old games load much quicker I'll buy it day 1 just to get rid of my Pro which will be out of warranty for quite a while by then.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they handle backwards compatibility like a PC or tablet where the OS is in essence identical, and if they put in a boost mode like they did with pro, I think that will be worth the price alone. Our oldest PS4 is a launch model so I am getting the 5 and the son will inherit the pro regardless of how the BC plays out.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I am still a huge back log of games into Ps4. No way I give a shit about Ps5 at least until it's 2nd or 3rd gen.
Same here. I'll probably wait until there's a PS5 Slim or some shit before picking one up.

Honestly, Sony should just wait until they can do their own version of Google's Stadia and finally ditch manufacturing console hardware.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Same here. I'll probably wait until there's a PS5 Slim or some shit before picking one up.

Honestly, Sony should just wait until they can do their own version of Google's Stadia and finally ditch manufacturing console hardware.

My ISP's 1TB data cap says fuck no to that.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
My ISP's 1TB data cap says fuck no to that.

Next gen patches are here and are ready to have their way with your data cap :p In all seriousness, the ever increasing size of games, digital purchase, and massive day-1 patches may already eclipse the bandwidth required for an h265 stream of AAA games.

I wonder a little bit of the wisdom of being all-in on Sony digital purchases, the streaming future seems bleak for them without partnering with a Amazon/Facebook who has extensive data centers.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Will get it on launch. As everyone here who says they won't get it will too :)