Playstation 5

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
650 sounds small but isn’t there speculation that game file sizes will be smaller since they won’t need all the redundant assets (or whatever that’s called) due to near instant read speeds?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, it's sort of true...in theory. If you know for a fact that your game will only ever run on a system with a very fast SSD then there's no need to duplicate assets all over the place and game sizes could decrease significantly.

Problem is, that's only likely to happen with Sony exclusives. I kind of doubt multiplat devs will take the time to build and maintain an entirely different set of archives just to save PS5 players some drive space. Hell, Sony-exclusive devs might not either if they know that somewhere down the road there will be a PC version.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah im pretty sure thats mostly bullshit. redundant assets made sense in the 360/ps3 era when games would run off disc, but now everything runs off hard drive and i can't imagine many devs optimize THAT crazy to reduce load times by 0.1s by stacking assets next to each other when reading texture files. Maybe stuff like GTA5 and RDR2 and thats about it.

Instead devs are gonna be letting you delete stuff like SP campaigns, DLC, etc to save space but ultimately games are just gonna keep getting bigger and bigger as more and more 4k textures are used. PS5 will let you buy external SSDs that run PS5 games off them and will be pricy as fuck, and external USB drives (like now) that let you archive PS5 games onto them or run PS4 games straight off them.

So it'll be a little more juggling but you can still keep a large library of games around on local storage, you'll just have to micro-manage the internal SSD like a bitch.

Vorph

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that any 40-100+GB game has a ton of redundant assets. The only other thing that can take up that much space is uncompressed 4K video.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got a full PS4 HD (about 850 GB) of games and was looking forward to moving all of that over to the (presumably BC and with a bigger HD) PS5. Now it looks like if I do that I'll just be switching to another full system.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've got a full PS4 HD (about 850 GB) of games and was looking forward to moving all of that over to the (presumably BC and with a bigger HD) PS5. Now it looks like if I do that I'll just be switching to another full system.

Were people thinking it would be more than 1tb? This isnsurprising to me at all. They weren’t going to have 2tb systems and still be able to hit a reasonable price point.

The OS size is surprising though if that’s true. Wtf do they need 175gb for?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Were people thinking it would be more than 1tb? This isnsurprising to me at all. They weren’t going to have 2tb systems and still be able to hit a reasonable price point.

Let me preface this with I don’t know what I’m talking about - maybe virtual memory? Apparently PS4 OS reserves 93Gb. Maybe the OS doesn’t utilize it all but reserves a lot of space for file swapping?

Vorph

I would hope not, it's been known for several months now that the SSD is only 825GB. 175GB for the OS does seem like an insane amount though, even if it does make heavy use of swap.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Let me preface this with I don’t know what I’m talking about - maybe virtual memory? Apparently PS4 OS reserves 93Gb. Maybe the OS doesn’t utilize it all but reserves a lot of space for file swapping?

Sounds intelligent enough. I’ll accept this as fact.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Hopefully they have an elegant way to move games you're currently playing to the fast storage and let us hook up an external drive. That way I can keep things like ESO and RDR2 on the external storage, because they are gigantic, and only move them to the fast drive when I feel like playing them regularly.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The one thing they would need to do (I have no knowledge of how it works/if it is even possible to fix) is to adjust the patching system the PS4 has. I recently installed RDR2 again (never finished it), and it got an update. Got an error that I didn't have enough space to download the patch (had 50gb left), so had to delete stuff until I had the full size of the game, then the download started, which was only 250mb.

Had that same problem for several large games, like Division 2. Games being large is one thing, but to require the full size of the game as free space in order to patch them is not exactly ideal.

EDIT: or is that due to lazy/shoddy work of the developers, and not the PS4 specifically? Since the problem doesn't appear that often, and I am fairly sure I've patched games even though I've had less space available than the size of the game.