Playstation 5

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I work at Sam's Club. Today we had 2 members call to ask if we had the Playstation 5. One of them were like "Did you finally get your shipment for the Playstation 5?"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It would make sense for these retailers to do staggered releases of batches. Instead of putting up 5000 at 9 PM, put up 500 at a time at ten random intervals throughout the evening. Rewards people who are staying on it. ...and bots though. But yeah, at the very least it would keep hope alive for people trying.

Microsoft actually has a golden opportunity here. With this botched PS5 rollout, MS could put up their new systems for preorder and capitalize on desperate people who think they've missed out on the PS5 and would be happy just grabbing something next-gen. I remember about 13 years ago this kinda happened to me where I wasn't able to get a PS3 so I settled for a 360 "because it'll play most of the same games anyway" rather than just waiting for a PS3.
You kind of lucked out though - i actually did buy a PS3 on launch and it cost goddamn $600. The release pricing was so shitty

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You kind of lucked out though - i actually did buy a PS3 on launch and it cost goddamn $600. The release pricing was so shitty

My PS3 has been an absolute star vs my PS4. Never any problems with it and it runs so quietly.

It's a shame so many apps are having their service removed from the PS3 now though. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth that just because the PS5 is coming out I'll lose the ability to stream BBC iPlayer on my PS3.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

so no ps4 copy of spiderman will get the PS5 upgrade. you must buy the miles morales $70 edition to play the ps5 version of spooder-man with RTX on

i do wonder if that "game loads almost instantly" thing they kept showing off on demos is something they have to patch in for the PS5 version, or if you load the PS4 BC version if that also just works

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I wonder if all this will cause retailers to rethink their bot-defense mechanisms? Obviously its been effecting shoe collectors for awhile, but I don't think they are numerous enough for it to be a news item. People are starting to talk about how hard it is for a human to place a preorder.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

so no ps4 copy of spiderman will get the PS5 upgrade. you must buy the miles morales $70 edition to play the ps5 version of spooder-man with RTX on

i do wonder if that "game loads almost instantly" thing they kept showing off on demos is something they have to patch in for the PS5 version, or if you load the PS4 BC version if that also just works
It should just work or we'll be seeing a lot bitching when people load up any game offered by PS Plus and they see long (normal) load times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if all this will cause retailers to rethink their bot-defense mechanisms? Obviously its been effecting shoe collectors for awhile, but I don't think they are numerous enough for it to be a news item. People are starting to talk about how hard it is for a human to place a preorder.

Retailers should tell them to learn to code.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

That would be pretty fucky. Seeing how putting a SSD makes your ps4 load times really fast, would be fucked up if it goes back to worse on the ps5.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
SSD was much faster than the stock drive but even the PS4 Pro had such outdated disk i/o that it barely saw any benefit from a SSD vs. just a SSHD (provided you play one game at a time so it can use its cache).

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 version of Spider-man loads instantly and the BC version takes a couple seconds, but there's no way it won't be vastly quicker than it was on the PS4.

spronk

FPS noob
its also crazy that we can pre order the PS5 know the launch lineup etc but we still haven't seen a single screenshot of the user interface

nor have we seen, afaik, games running on an xbox series X

such a weird launch

if you got the PS5 invite from email direct from Sony, that goes live in 90 mins 10am PDT / 1pm EDT. they run out when they run out, max 1 per user, delivery to home

Vorph

Looking back on Sony's presentation, it's definitely very weird how little they actually talked about the console. The presentation was just a bunch of game footage, followed by a picture of the ugly ass consoles and a price tag. They didn't really even mention the hardware or anything about the OS/UI at all.

I don't think MS has done a Series X video but there was that Series S one yesterday that showed the dashboard and it looks exactly the same as my X1X does now.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Has Sony said anything about what apps PS5 will have at launch? Will it have Netflix , Twitch, and Hulu available at launch?

Vorph

Qhue

Trump's Staff
That may not be a fair assumption. I remember when PS4 and the Xbone launched that there were a couple of media apps that were not updated for a few months. It was very annoying.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its been awhile since I went after a day one launch. Might have even been the N64 which was a pain to find in store that holiday season. Wasn't the ps4 riddled with hardware issues on its initial launch-over heating and loud fan?
With the game line-up is it worth buying version 1.0 or just wait till the bugs are figured out and v 2.0 is out?

Vorph

That may not be a fair assumption. I remember when PS4 and the Xbone launched that there were a couple of media apps that were not updated for a few months. It was very annoying.
Yeah, it's possible they didn't learn from previous gen mistakes, but I'd be pretty surprised if all the major ones (above, plus Hulu and Prime at least) weren't on board.

Don't really care personally, none of them are going to have any features that make me choose to turn on a console instead of just loading the Roku app on my TV.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
30525569550_d2bf179b43_b.jpg

People collect shoes?

• 1Rustled