Playstation 5

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ars video game reviews are always terrible. I don't think they even like video games.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
i dunno about scuf, they may have a PS5 version by now. but yeah ps4 controllers dont work on PS5 games, only ps4 games. I think kronos may have a compatibility dongle that lets you use any controller in PS5 mode but i dunno. The haptics shit with PS5 dual sense controllers is pretty neat, especially with games that use it. Definitely play Astro Bot (comes as the pack in game with every PS5) to be amazed by it

ut, i bought the WD SN850, its the one Mark Cerny recommended. $180 at amazon at best buy for 1TB, $340 for 2TB

www.amazon.com/WD_Black-SN850-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B08KFS6THF/

this is the heatsink i bought, pretty much any of them will work just fine as long as they are about this height. the port is huge
www.amazon.com/heatsink-double-sided-matching-thermal-silicone/dp/B07KDDKDNN

be sure to follow the video i linked a few posts above, you gotta unscrew a riser inside the m.2 slot and "move" it to position #4 and use the screw there so there is an air gap, dont wanna short out your system

and yeah the latest firmware (out tomorrow) supports 3d audio for not just headsets but also speakers/HDMI, but honestly the whole thing feels like a bit of a scam. To me its sorta like ATMOS, where software is doing some extra work to fake stuff and I'm not really sure its that much better than 5.1. Whats really the difference between an audio director making footsteps come from the right "side" as you are facing in an FPS, vs 3d audio system software interpolating and mixing in real time to move sounds around a virtual space?
Wow, I guess I didnt do enough GOOGLE. I would assume the digital console would have came with more memory. Just loading COD and a few other games I have almost maxed the memory. You felt 1TB was enough? The memory on the PS5 is like 800, 200 more would probably hold another game or two?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wow, I guess I didnt do enough GOOGLE. I would assume the digital console would have came with more memory. Just loading COD and a few other games I have almost maxed the memory. You felt 1TB was enough? The memory on the PS5 is like 800, 200 more would probably hold another game or two?
PS5 starts at 825GB but there's only 667GB left after all the system shit.

Buying a 1TB SSD isn't 200GB more though, it's additional storage not a replacement. Personally I still haven't maxed out my internal storage since I only use the console for exclusives + some PS4 games, and all my multi-plats go on XSX.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
PS5 starts at 825GB but there's only 667GB left after all the system shit.

Buying a 1TB SSD isn't 200GB more though, it's additional storage not a replacement. Personally I still haven't maxed out my internal storage since I only use the console for exclusives + some PS4 games, and all my multi-plats go on XSX.
Oh, gotcha.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
PS5 and Series X will be sold in store at Best Buy on 9/23, next thursday. At least 100 of each will be sold. Its the same list of stores most likely that sold 3080 FE GPUs a few weeks ago (and in July), usually 1-2 per major city. Almost certainly you will have to wait overnight to snag one this way.

Should see the list of stores and shit next mid week sometime.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just got an email from Sony to buy one after noon tomorrow. Fuck yes.
Nice! Just did that last week. Set an alarm for 11:59, click the link at noon and wait in queue. I think I was in queue for less than 30mins, you will hear a ding at the end and boom in the store. Grab what you need and check out, shipping is free (express) too. I had mine in two days on my door step!!!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
do you still get a little card (like a wedding invite card) with a code for PS5 avatars with PS Direct PS5s?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice! Just did that last week. Set an alarm for 11:59, click the link at noon and wait in queue. I think I was in queue for less than 30mins, you will hear a ding at the end and boom in the store. Grab what you need and check out, shipping is free (express) too. I had mine in two days on my door step!!!
Yea, my queue was less than 10m. Once you're in, you got one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
What are you all using for Ps5 gaming monitors these days? I have some nice Benqs 24" that i bought last year that maybe obsolete?

BenQ ZOWIE RL2455S 24 inch 1080p Gaming Monitor | 1ms 75Hz | Black Equalizer & Color Vibrance for Competitive Edge​

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
What are you all using for Ps5 gaming monitors these days? I have some nice Benqs 24" that i bought last year that maybe obsolete?

BenQ ZOWIE RL2455S 24 inch 1080p Gaming Monitor | 1ms 75Hz | Black Equalizer & Color Vibrance for Competitive Edge​

looking at these,

BenQ EL2870U 28 inch 4K Monitor for Gaming 1ms Response Time, FreeSync, HDR, eye-care, speakers​

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Massive overkill on a screen that small.

PS5 still lacks all the good shit Series X has for playing on a monitor instead of a TV. Can't do 1440p, can't do VRR, barely any games support 120Hz, etc. Rumor has it VRR is coming soon-ish, but 1440p may never happen at all.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Massive overkill on a screen that small.

PS5 still lacks all the good shit Series X has for playing on a monitor instead of a TV. Can't do 1440p, can't do VRR, barely any games support 120Hz, etc. Rumor has it VRR is coming soon-ish, but 1440p may never happen at all.

I'm confused about what PS5 can do. No 1440p?

But it CAN do 2160p/30, yeah? 1080p/60? Wasn't there something about 1800p for some games?

All I know for sure is that PS5 native games look incredible on a 4K TV, better than anything I've ever played before. PS5+4 cross-platform releases like AC Valhalla on the other hand...don't look that incredible. More like upgraded PS4 games.

spronk

FPS noob
I didnt see one, would it have been in the box?

yeah the avatar card is in the box in a small envelope. mighta been just the initial launch PS5 systems.

amazon is gonna be dropping PS5s sometime today but their timing is always random. Best Buy will be doing in store PS5s (and Series X) thursday.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm confused about what PS5 can do. No 1440p?

But it CAN do 2160p/30, yeah? 1080p/60? Wasn't there something about 1800p for some games?

All I know for sure is that PS5 native games look incredible on a 4K TV, better than anything I've ever played before. PS5+4 cross-platform releases like AC Valhalla on the other hand...don't look that incredible. More like upgraded PS4 games.
720p (I think in the settings, never verified) 1080p and 2160p. Most if not all PS5 games run a dynamic 4k at 60 FPS, with a few hitting native 4k60.

Also thanks spronk spronk - Same SSD and heatsink you recommended - works like a charm - although I would love to see some videos of parents who are not technical going through this :p

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah the avatar card is in the box in a small envelope. mighta been just the initial launch PS5 systems.

amazon is gonna be dropping PS5s sometime today but their timing is always random. Best Buy will be doing in store PS5s (and Series X) thursday.

There was a purchase button available for a short time a few minutes ago, but that's already gone. I kept getting an error page when trying it, so who knows.