Playstation 5

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Gotcha. Yeah MS is clearly just going for subscriptions and revenue numbers for investors I guess. It’s good for consumers, game pass is a ridiculous value, I just don’t see why people would think Sony has to emulate what they’re doing. Game pass doesn’t appear to be driving console sales.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Gotcha. Yeah MS is clearly just going for subscriptions and revenue numbers for investors I guess. It’s good for consumers, game pass is a ridiculous value, I just don’t see why people would think Sony has to emulate what they’re doing. Game pass doesn’t appear to be driving console sales.

Those people are missing the point. Microsoft has already conceded the console and big box game shipping war to Sony because they think they can be the Netflix of gaming in the future. Sony seems to be happy to let them do it because they see a future where either they can coexist with Microsoftflix or that fails and they retain the status quo.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Those people are missing the point. Microsoft has already conceded the console and big box game shipping war to Sony because they think they can be the Netflix of gaming in the future. Sony seems to be happy to let them do it because they see a future where either they can coexist with Microsoftflix or that fails and they retain the status quo.

Yeah thats not going to fail - my friends all sub to gamepass now, i also have gamepass and think its pretty brilliant - I've only played 2 games on my ps5 since i got it actually -

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Gamepass recreates some aspects of the friday night game rental -> sunday return at the local video store from the 80's and 90's. In that way I think it is guaranteed to win, if there is enough shelf choice any given night, people will gladly rent 1 game 3 weekends a month. Gamepass is more than this - but for a casual subscriber who never cancels - this is an obvious choice.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I kinda impulse purchased my series X but the fact that my Game Pass games on console cross-save with my PC is awesome and means I am playing more on both platforms than I expected.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I kinda impulse purchased my series X but the fact that my Game Pass games on console cross-save with my PC is awesome and means I am playing more on both platforms than I expected.
I think at some point MS realized that they were never going to win in the console-only because that is driven by exclusives, and they have two markets to serve in that regard. So they made Game Pass effectively feed both mouths at the same time. And while I like my PS5, the look/feel of the UI, etc, I am constantly looking for things I can play on it, whereas so much of the XB series X is just already in the PC wheel house, its just a natural fit. They can co-exist but that requires a huge effort on Sony's part; for MS it's much, much easier.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do I want to play the game at launch? Buy on console. Is it a game I would rather play with mods? Wait until it hits Steam and goes on sale.

We're not playing Blu-rays any more and streaming services would prefer you go straight to their own apps, so it really does come down to gaming lineups.

• 1Solidarity

joz123

Potato del Grande
Do I want to play the game at launch? Buy on console. Is it a game I would rather play with mods? Wait until it hits Steam and goes on sale.

We're not playing Blu-rays any more and streaming services would prefer you go straight to their own apps, so it really does come down to gaming lineups.
I'm with you on this. People saying Xbox is meant to be a game rental streaming device are crazy to me. Maybe 10 years ago it would be a valid point to have a game system as a multimedia device but now it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I think at some point MS realized that they were never going to win in the console-only because that is driven by exclusives, and they have two markets to serve in that regard. So they made Game Pass effectively feed both mouths at the same time. And while I like my PS5, the look/feel of the UI, etc, I am constantly looking for things I can play on it, whereas so much of the XB series X is just already in the PC wheel house, its just a natural fit. They can co-exist but that requires a huge effort on Sony's part; for MS it's much, much easier.

I view it the same as any console generation since the 360. Want to play all good games, need a Playstation, a Nintendo and a PC. The Xbox isn't needed, especially now that Microsoft has said that all their games will be on PC as well. Playstation might start moving towards that too, but never immediately like Microsoft will. For the console life cycles, Playstation have had the best exclusives since the console "wars" began, by a large margin. Do you need a PS5 now, not really. But comparatively to the Xbox, which has no exclusives to the console, the PS5 already has Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank. Is that enough to warrant a purchase, no, but that gap will only increase in favour of the PS5. Bluepoint are most likely working on a Bloodborne remake or sequel and God of War will be Playstation exclusive for a long time, same with Horizon.

If you can only get one thing though, and don't have a PC, an Xbox with gamepass is probably better. For me though, why would I ever get a console that would give me access to a grand total of 0 exclusives?

Dream scenario though would be if Playstation offered a PC marketplace as well, with tied in official emulators to play their entire library and all their current and new exclusives had PC versions that went to that market immediately too. Could stop buying consoles then. Just a monthly PS and MS sub.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Preemptive Disclaimer: I don't know shit, but I'm hoping you do.

I've been listening to Colin Moriarty's "Sidequest" lately, and he sidestepped a question on a show recently. It was subtle, but I got the impression that some details about the PS5 are starting to leak out? Spill it here if you got it. If not, answer me this one question-

Will you buy Skyrim: ReRemastered on PS5?
No. Free upgrade from ps4.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mean, Xbox competing with Windows as a gaming platform was very stupid, they did eventually figure it out.

Sony has made great PC ports of two of their flagship games, HZD and GoW, but they need to enable cross-save and either subscription or at least buy-once, play anywhere.

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I view it the same as any console generation since the 360. Want to play all good games, need a Playstation, a Nintendo and a PC. The Xbox isn't needed, especially now that Microsoft has said that all their games will be on PC as well. Playstation might start moving towards that too, but never immediately like Microsoft will. For the console life cycles, Playstation have had the best exclusives since the console "wars" began, by a large margin. Do you need a PS5 now, not really. But comparatively to the Xbox, which has no exclusives to the console, the PS5 already has Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank. Is that enough to warrant a purchase, no, but that gap will only increase in favour of the PS5. Bluepoint are most likely working on a Bloodborne remake or sequel and God of War will be Playstation exclusive for a long time, same with Horizon.

If you can only get one thing though, and don't have a PC, an Xbox with gamepass is probably better. For me though, why would I ever get a console that would give me access to a grand total of 0 exclusives?

Dream scenario though would be if Playstation offered a PC marketplace as well, with tied in official emulators to play their entire library and all their current and new exclusives had PC versions that went to that market immediately too. Could stop buying consoles then. Just a monthly PS and MS sub.
This is probably better saved for a different thread and I have made this argument before in different places but back in the day, 20+ years ago now when we used to have LAN parties, we would all haul our rigs to the same place and then I would spend 2+ hours effectively tuning troubleshooting everyone's PC up to a level to play all the games.

Then fast forward to 15 years ago, we all had broadband, we all had gamenights, we would spend an hour plus troubleshooting to fix whatever issue kept which ever guy out of the mix.
Now, it's way easier: Buy a fucking Xbox and XBOX live. Fuck working 50+ hours a week on a good week to spend time dealing with whatever BS problem on your PC. Spend 500 bucks on a console let's get on with it, unless we want to play RTS games not on a console and then we will muddle through, I guess. But the console provide the least hassle/easiest voice connection for multiple people platform. No video/nic drivers, no apps/programs for comms, sets up in a flash and we are playing. Or at least we were, the guys I play with don't really do so much anymore this gen, work/life/supply I guess: We are all 40-50+ geezers wow. PS4/XBO was perfect for that, though, low cost of entry, easy setup, easy maintenance/overhead.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sony has made great PC ports of two of their flagship games, HZD and GoW, but they need to enable cross-save and either subscription or at least buy-once, play anywhere.
Good luck with that. Sony can't even manage to do cross-save between PS4 and PS5 in every game, and they are so hellbent on nickel and diming their customers that play anywhere doesn't even apply to their consoles.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I doubt being able to cross save to PC for a what 3+ year old console game is a highly thought of priority

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I view it the same as any console generation since the 360. Want to play all good games, need a Playstation, a Nintendo and a PC. The Xbox isn't needed
I just got an Xbox because it was cheaper (and easier with the GPU shortage) than buying a PC for my TV (the whole Bjs Xbox Bundle was less than an RX 6800 XT) and because I have at least the next 9 months of Game Pass for free due to getting a bunch of months free during the Video Game Awards, having some old codes that came with other shit, and having a billion Bing points as a professional person who searches "why dont the avaya work" all day in every search engine to do my job.

• 1Solidarity

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is probably better saved for a different thread and I have made this argument before in different places but back in the day, 20+ years ago now when we used to have LAN parties, we would all haul our rigs to the same place and then I would spend 2+ hours effectively tuning troubleshooting everyone's PC up to a level to play all the games.

Then fast forward to 15 years ago, we all had broadband, we all had gamenights, we would spend an hour plus troubleshooting to fix whatever issue kept which ever guy out of the mix.
Now, it's way easier: Buy a fucking Xbox and XBOX live. Fuck working 50+ hours a week on a good week to spend time dealing with whatever BS problem on your PC. Spend 500 bucks on a console let's get on with it, unless we want to play RTS games not on a console and then we will muddle through, I guess. But the console provide the least hassle/easiest voice connection for multiple people platform. No video/nic drivers, no apps/programs for comms, sets up in a flash and we are playing. Or at least we were, the guys I play with don't really do so much anymore this gen, work/life/supply I guess: We are all 40-50+ geezers wow. PS4/XBO was perfect for that, though, low cost of entry, easy setup, easy maintenance/overhead.
The good day of driving 50+ minutes friday at 11pm to get a coax cap because someone forgot to bring one..
At some points we use to all buy the exact same model of network cards so there would be no problems. worked pretty good.

I'm no console fan. I got a PS3 as a blu ray player, had some fun with guitar hero, then my gf of the time bought me skyrim. 1+minute of loading time every time I entered an inn was very fun. bought it on pc right after. is it better with PS5 ?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I'm no console fan. I got a PS3 as a blu ray player, had some fun with guitar hero, then my gf of the time bought me skyrim. 1+minute of loading time every time I entered an inn was very fun. bought it on pc right after. is it better with PS5 ?
Load times are phenomenal. Dark Souls, Ghosts of Tsushima, God of War… very little waiting at all. Built my new PC with a latest gen m2 - I could never go back.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I don't even notice load times in any game I have played so far, it's all pretty smooth/quick.

joz123

Potato del Grande
The biggest difference in load times I have noticed is FF7R from PS4 to 5. Takes about 2 seconds after selecting save to load.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The good day of driving 50+ minutes friday at 11pm to get a coax cap because someone forgot to bring one..
At some points we use to all buy the exact same model of network cards so there would be no problems. worked pretty good.

The new consoles are made with that kind of storage in mind; load times are a non-issue.