Podcasts Misc

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that was crazy. Hasid mafia.

BTW I found a new podcast (new to me, it's been around a while) called "Damn Interesting ~ A collection of legitimately fascinating information culled from the past, present, and anticipated future.". Highly produced, 15-60 minutes long monthly podcast about remarkable stories from history. I wish it was weekly but it's definitely worth a listen and going through the relatively small back catalog was a blast. If you want to check it out "The Clockmaker" would be a good one to start with.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Enough of you people and your uppity educational podcasts, it's time to get weird!

The Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction Podcast

It's exactly what it sounds like. 3-5 comedians do erotic fan fiction, for laughs. Two rounds each week(downloaded separately). One round is prepared stories that some wrote in advance. The other round they take suggestions from the audience and have a set time to go backstage and write it. They are almost always funny and often hilarious. I strongly suggest downloading any episode with Kyle Kinane on it, he's amazing.

Funny not mentioned somehow are

Comedy Bang Bang. Improvised comedy with 1 normal out of character guest and usually 1-2 in character guests all playing off each other. Pretty much any episode with Paul F. Tompkins or Andy Daly is going to be great.

Doug Loves Movies. Comedian Doug Benson has guests on, usually other comedians but also lots of Hollywood types. Edgar Wright is a fairly regular guest. They talk about movies for a while, or at least Doug tries to get them to. It gets way off topic a lot. Then they play some games based around movies, which is impressive in some cases. Wright, Samm Levine, Jon Hamm are all amazing at the Leonard Maltin Game, which is like Name that Tune but with movies and castmembers in place of songs and notes. In other cases the people are terrible at the game and it's equally entertaining.

Professor Blastoff. Tig Notaro, Kyle Dunnigan, and David Huntsberger have a topic and someone familiar with it(not always anyone famous) and they talk about it. The meanders and bounces around while they riff off whatever is being discussed. It's funny, but it might be offputting to some to just jump in to. It's definitely better if you are invested in the people on the show but their enthusiasm when listening to each others stories is infectious and their friendship really comes across. And you do learn some actual interesting things about the ostensible subject of the episode.

Judge John Hodgman. John Hodgman of Daily Show fame has 2 people call in with a dispute, lay out their cases, and he settles it. They agree to abide by his decision in advance, and he genuinely tries to give the best solution...as he sees it. He is absolutely hilarious. You don't really get an idea for just how good he is off the cuff in the other things he does. This episode about a husband and wife who can't agree onproper tornado safetyis a good example of the show.

The Bugle. John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman(another Brit comedian) talk about the news of the week. A lot of scripted stuff, they've been a comedy duo for years and years I guess. It's really funny when they go in to some convoluted bullshit history that explains how things got how they are now. Took a break over the summer while John worked on his new HBO show but they're back to new episodes now.

The Indoor Kids. Kumail Nanjiani and his equally nerdy gamer wife Emily V. Gordon have a guest on and they talk about video games and life and other such things. Kumail is basically the best Podcast guest in the world for any humorous podcast you can imagine, and he's just as funny on his own show. It's not a non-stop yukfest though, they really talk about the topics. The episode with Ron Funches talking about playing games with his autistic son and how much it helps him was really touching.

Who Charted?Kulap Vilaysack and Howard Kremer host. 1 guest a week(usually a comedian). They go through a top 5 music chart in some category or other, the top 5 movies for the week, and discuss them all before doing 5 questions from Twitter for the guest. Sounds pretty straightforward but of course they go off on some tangents and whatnot. But what you are really tuning in for is Howard. He is the American Karl Pilkington. Not as dim, but every bit as earnestly off-kilter. There's not much better than hearing him talk about some weird theory and Kulap absolutely losing her shit at the ridiculousness of it. Just like Karl he will come up with a totally skewed explanation of things that makes a sort of weird twisted sense...as long as you don't apply too much logic to it. They also do a mid-week Two Charted that's just the two of them talking about things from the last week that is also worth a listen.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Anyone listen to Welcome to Night Vale? The concept sounds interesting but I don't know how much to invest, plus I have like 70 fucking podcasts I am listening to right now.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone listen to Welcome to Night Vale? The concept sounds interesting but I don't know how much to invest, plus I have like 70 fucking podcasts I am listening to right now.
It's pretty solid. A good mashup of X-files, and Lovecraftian comedy. It's generally best when listened to in a slightly bizarre abnormal environment. I turn it on now and then in the chem lab.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I like it. I have to remind myself over and over not to take sides in this, for or against Anand, because they are framing it to fuck with you.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Have been listening as well. It's good stuff. I wonder if they can keep finding stories this good to dig deep into though.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Serial is taking donations. I sent em a few bucks because it's awesome.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
On one hand its awesome, but on another hand frustrating because of the way they mete out information on the case to play with your emotions.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At this point I still think he's guilty
tongue.png

The court of Adebisi opinion.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It doesn't make sense to me why this dude would kill his ex, like he had moved on and was with some other girl and had no animosity etc. But at the same time, people do crazy shit that just doesn't make sense. And, you know, there's not a guilty man in Shawshank, so of course he champions his innocence.

khalid

Unelected Mod
At this point I still think he's guilty
tongue.png

The court of Adebisi opinion.
Yeah, I think he is guilty too. The podcast hasn't done enough of a job of pointing out who else might have had motivation to do it. It really comes down to Jay or Anand, and while Jay clearly changed some parts of his story, overall it seems easier to believe Jay's side than Anands.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I was thinking yesterday. Is there going to be a satisfying ending to this story? If some smoking gun is going to come out at the end that justifies all of this buildup then awesome, but if we get to the end and Sarah is like "Well now you know the story. Is he guilty? You decide." it's going to be a huge letdown. I thought about googling the case to see if there was some development that they haven't told us about but I don't want to spoil it if there is. I am concerned that the ending is just going to be kind of blah though.

I sent them $20 anyway.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't see how there can be any kind of satisfying ending. I did find it interesting that they are actively getting feedback and working it into the show. But yeah, the ending is most likely going to be a giant shoulder shrug.

Zastlyn

Peasant
What do you guys use as a podcast app for android these days? I was using BeyondPod but a recent update fucked it 12 ways to sunday

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I use Doggcatcher. It's not perfect, but I am used to it. My situation is a bit different than some people's because I'm usually not in cell coverage so I need to download everything rather than streaming.