Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Disagree. You've got lots of time before Kingdra is a thing, so you'll have time to get the candies for it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A: We have no idea if Kingdra will actually end up being any good.

B: Even if Kingdra is good, you don't know if your Kingdra will end up with moves good enough to justify powering it up

C: God only knows how long it will be before they add Gen 2 pokemon to the game

D: In the time between now and the release of Gen 2, you will have plenty of chances to catch a Horsea with good IVs in the upper 20s, saving you thousands and thousands of dust, which is worth far more than a couple more points of IV.

Seriously, I don't think you guys realize how ridiculous dust costs get once you hit the mid to upper 20s. I instantly pitch any pokemon under lvl 20 without even checking the IVs, and I have several strong, high IV lvl 20 pokemon that I'll never power up because powering up my A team every time I level takes all my dust. It's only going to get worse as I get higher level too. I mean seriously, I have a Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and a Raichu all at lvl 20 with 90+ IVs that will never get powered up because I don't have the dust. Same with my 97% Rhydon.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Lots of time? Do you think people will still be playing in 4 weeks? I doubt it.

I can't speak to my later motivations, but one of the primary reason I play this game is to make some of the rehabilitation of my knee reconstruction bearable. I hate walking / running / biking, but I enjoy playing Pokemon Go. Now, when we start talking about once the weather isn't fair, there is probably another story.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Had a tough night last night. Tried to take the last train from my house to Yoyogi park to catch NidoranF's but the train I took ended up terminating early and I had to walk the almost 5 miles to the park.

On the plus side, I'm up to 150 NidoranF Candy, caught another Snorlax and several pikachus, bulbasaur, ghastly, dratini and oddish, as well as hatching like 20 eggs.

This game is damn good exercise sometimes.

UYMUCoi.png

Shit doesn't even count what I did before midnight.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Too bad the game only accurately tracks like 30% of distance traveled.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morsakin

Too bad the game only accurately tracks like 30% of distance traveled.

On a generous day. My experience leads me to say that it helps immensely if you intermittently capture shit as you're traveling, so as to kickstart an update in distance traveled.

Also was viewing my pokemon inventory just a few minutes ago, saw a ponyta in it that I was about to receive from a 5k egg a few moments later, as I distinctly remembered only having one as opposed to two. Closed inventory. "Oh?" Bam.

Edit: The fuck are these default avatars. Mo? Hmm...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The same thing can happen getting an egg from pokestops. You get an egg, think wtf I had 9, then close the pokestop and bam, egg hatch. Traveling in as many long straight lines as possible dramatically increases the distance you get credit for btw.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah I just hatched 4 eggs at the same time. Two of them were Horsea, but when I was looking at the first one, it already had candy totals from the 2nd one, and when the 2nd one hatched it said +14 candy but my total didn't go up because it had already been counted. The animation is just fluff.

Morsakin

Traveling in as many long straight lines as possible dramatically increases the distance you get credit for btw.

Makes sense given that my dratini nest is a series of straight dead-end streets. Always hatch the shit out of my eggs when I go out there.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I can't speak to my later motivations, but one of the primary reason I play this game is to make some of the rehabilitation of my knee reconstruction bearable. I hate walking / running / biking, but I enjoy playing Pokemon Go.
Pretty much that. I don't get much of that sweet endorphin release from exertion, so physical activity is only rewarded by abstract health risk that only materializes if you ever get a hearth attack, or by numbers on your blood tests that are affected by dozens of factors, only one of which is that exertion. That makes reward from exercice too abstract to sustain.

If, however, the reward from walking that next 100m is "oh, look, there's an Electabuzz", it works much better.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I WILL TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE

bctYBpo.png

0TpbLy1.png

JNabl2m.jpg

o86f3b0.png

TogZ2mP.png

7ZkFygB.jpg

yueuKXf.jpg

xp3QGvM.jpg

Then the battery and the power pack died and we went home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I WILL TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE
Oh, you're in Paris?

A quick highlights of good parks and areas:

Trocadero (the other side of the Seine, from the Eiffel Tower) has a large variety of all kind of uncommon and one rare spot, but no special notable nest.
The Luxembourg (you were there) had lots of Exeggcute last week, it's supposed to be Cubone central now.
Ile de la Cité/Notre Dame/ile St. Louis area is shockful of water spots, so you tend to get lucky with the rare Dratinis. Shouldn't have rotated. Pikachu was holed in the gardens behind Notre Dame; came out like clockwork. Or Qasimodo, your pick.
Further north, you have Parc des Buttes Chaumond, lots of Vulpix. Plus it's nice to visit.
Then NE corner of Paris, the Parc de la Vilette which is currenly Kabuto central, plus it has two Rare pokemon spawns to the west border (north and middle) on the canals. If you see a rare Pokemon on tracker, it's one of those two. Pretty much any 10km egg pokemon spawns there.

Then, well, pretty much any park and spots.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, I visited Paris for a day to catch pokemon.

We went to Stade de France by car, chuckled again in memory of how they lost the finals, paid 13,50 for the parking ticket btw for 7 hours, went by Metro to Invalides, walked to Place de la Concorde, then went to the eight-cornered pool at Allee Centrale, farmed the lure party there for an hour.

I counted 10 lures active in Jardin des Tuileries active at the same time.

Went on to the Louvre (no lure parties there, probably because of the lack of shade), crossed the Seine on Pont de Caroussel again and had lunch at a Brasserie on Quai Malaquais.

From there to Notre Dame, then to Les Halles to get the train back to Stade de France.

We were confused by the Arc de Triomphe being so small and by how far we'd been from the Eiffel Tower when it was so large in view.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Since it seems like some people are still unaware of how it works, egg distance is calculated by measuring your linear distance traveled every 60 seconds. It seems to have some sort of secondary measurement that I haven't seen any solid info on, which is why you slowly accumulate travel distance by leaving your iphone on a record player, or just from having your gps bounce around due to a bad cell signal. So every time you make a sharp turn you start eating into your distance traveled because you will now only be given credit for the long side of a triangle, instead of a full straight line. In theory if you walked in a perfect 60 second circle, you would get no travel credit beyond whatever secondary measurement is used. I have a theory for getting info on this secondary measurement, I just haven't had a chance to implement it yet.

Also, the hatching speed was lowered to 10.5 kph a while back, which is 6.5 mph. For anyone who doesn't get just how slow that is, a 10 minute mile is a pretty slow jog. My super casual fairly low gear biking speed came in at ~9mph with a speedometer app on my iphone. The game should be called Pokemon Don't Go

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Coun't you just zig-zag on your run and get both your workout and somewhat decent distance on your eggs?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aside from looking like a fucking moron, you'd need a wide enough running lane that your zigzags would be long enough to bring your linear distance traveled down below 175 meters per minute.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Are you absolutely positive that it was changed to 6.5 mph? I usually keep my speedometer at 9mph and I seem to track pretty well. Maybe not 100% accuracy but definitely solid. This is as recently as this morning on my way to work.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are you absolutely positive that it was changed to 6.5 mph? I usually keep my speedometer at 9mph and I seem to track pretty well. Maybe not 100% accuracy but definitely solid. This is as recently as this morning on my way to work.

It was established with 100% certainty that the hatching speed was reduced to 10.5 kph via gps spoofing, but after some quick googling it looks like the recent patch may have reverted hatching speed back to 20 kph, which, obviously, is a pretty dramatic change. Looks like I'll be hopping back on the bike today to test it out.