Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone on a German Pokemongo channel said the best way to use incense is to go to no-pokemons-land and use it there, since if the game doesn't know which pokemon to throw at you from location, it will throw completely random pokemon at you.

fris

Vyemm Raider
that's OK if you don't have a decent place to go. better to go to a desirable nest and use the lure. i used a lure while walking around the lake and over half my incense spawns were magicarps plus i got a ton of balls and other good spawns. much better than a totally random pokemon every 2-5 minutes

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Totally depends what you're after. I'm at 121 in the pokedex so I'd rather catch the weird fringe shit like Kabutops and Omanyte right now that I would the last 3 magikarp I need (which I will get soon regardless).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How bad is fury cutter on a Pincir instead of Rock Smash? Caught two high IVs, high level ones in Paris, both have Fury cutter and submission / X Scissor

oh boy all the mons I caught in Paris have terrible attacks except the dodrio

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fury cutter is strictly superior. The only time you'll ever actually use a Pinsir/Scyther in a battle is against an Exeggutor because of the double weakness to bug. Not only does Pinsir not get STAB with rock smash, fighting is weak against psychic types, so you're effectively losing 50% damage. Aside from Exeggutor, bug types are completely worthless in Gen 1 because every other grass type is also a poison type, cancelling out the bug weakness.

Few more anecdotes about gym battles.

On defense, you want the slowest charge move your defender has the hps to support. I went after a Blastoise with a Raichu this morning (Steamrolling everything with my A-team gets boring) and I was absolutely handing him his ass, and then he KOd me with hydro pump. If he'd had ice beam or flash cannon I would have won before Raichu got knocked out. I have a very powerful electrode with hyper beam, but with his low hps he isn't going to survive long enough to launch hyper beam, he'd have been better with thunderbolt. My hyper beam wigglytuffs are much better on defense than my play rough wigglytuff. A vaporeon with water pulse is basically nothing more than a meat shield.

On defense, avoid putting pokemon with a shared weakness next to each other. Lets say you have back to back Vaporeons and I bust out an Exeggutor. Due to Vaporeon's giant hp pool, my Exeggutor probably isn't going to beat both of them, but if he stays conscious on the second one long enough to fire off a second solar beam, I've gotten an absolutely ridiculous amount of value out of him. Staggering weaknesses, or even better intelligently placing counters to counters (meaning lead with a water pokemon, follow up with a fire pokemon, then a grass pokemon) is a generally better tactic. That doesn't mean use an 1800cp Flareon to back up a 2300cp Vaporeon instead of tossing a second 2300cp Vaporeon into the gym, or avoiding putting a Lapras next to a Snorlax because they're both weak to fighting. Intelligent judgement trumps general guidelines.

On offense, if you have the revives to spare, don't swap out a low hp pokemon. It's basically done for the battle anyway, so you might as well squeeze a little more damage out of it instead of wasting time fiddling with the menu while the defender continues to attack.

On offense, your pokemon can still launch tap attacks until the KO animation finishes, so don't stop tapping the screen. I got a mutual KO with my Raichu on that Blastoise from that earlier example even though Raichu went down first.

*edit*

Whoever was talking about Kingdra earlier, a lvl 40 perfect IV Kingdra will have 2671 max CP, putting it about on par with Gyarados. So not the best of the best but still a top tier Pokemon depending on what moves they give it, especially considering how much easier Horsea is to farm compared to other stuff. If you want to figure out what your favorite later gen Pokemon will look like when they arrive in Go, the formulas are here.

Pokémon Stats - Advanced | Pokemon Go

Last edited:

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Aside from looking like a fucking moron, you'd need a wide enough running lane that your zigzags would be long enough to bring your linear distance traveled down below 175 meters per minute.

Sad part is, we all know some guy out there is putting this theory to the test as we speak for the purposes of unquenchable min/max potential in his daily workout regimen.

It was established with 100% certainty that the hatching speed was reduced to 10.5 kph via gps spoofing, but after some quick googling it looks like the recent patch may have reverted hatching speed back to 20 kph, which, obviously, is a pretty dramatic change. Looks like I'll be hopping back on the bike today to test it out.

Despite seeing the data you're referencing concerning hatching speed, I am forced (as in literally forced; the dratini nest has a sheriff's station in the exact center and they will follow me around given they know what I'm doing, looking for the slightest of infractions if they're bored) to drive at the posted 20 mph speed limit and am seeing results each time I go out there which would be inconsistent, even with an increase to 20 kph, (that's what, roughly 14-15mph?) given that I would only really be getting credit for the periods when I'm slowing down to a stop / turn, as opposed to running through 5 km of a 10k egg and eating up 3 into a new 5k egg by the time I left -- spent two hours there. Whatever secondary element you referred to might therefore be crediting it as speeds in excess of what was cited, perhaps mitigating it past whatever limit is in place?

I.e. 100% credit ( lawl, 20% actual credit) for <20 kph, 50% credit for 20<x<? kph.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the Bug Buzz / Fury Cutter Scyther I got with 90% IVs will make a really good Exeggutorkiller?

It's only level 14 (so only 815 CP) and I only have 3 candies so far..

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Despite seeing the data you're referencing concerning hatching speed, I am forced (as in literally forced; the dratini nest has a sheriff's station in the exact center and they will follow me around given they know what I'm doing, looking for the slightest of infractions if they're bored) to drive at the posted 20 mph speed limit and am seeing results each time I go out there which would be inconsistent, even with an increase to 20 kph, (that's what, roughly 14-15mph?) given that I would only really be getting credit for the periods when I'm slowing down to a stop / turn, as opposed to running through 5 km of a 10k egg and eating up 3 into a new 5k egg by the time I left -- spent two hours there. Whatever secondary element you referred to might therefore be crediting it as speeds in excess of what was cited, perhaps mitigating it past whatever limit is in place?

I.e. 100% credit ( lawl, 20% actual credit) for <20 kph, 50% credit for 20<x<? kph.

Reread the first part of what you quoted. Your actual speed doesn't matter, only whether or not you travel more than 175 meters in 60 seconds. If you travelled 170 meters per second for 1 second, then stood still for 59 seconds, you'd get credit for 170 meters. If you travelled 176 meters in 60 seconds, you'd get credit for 0 meters.

So the Bug Buzz / Fury Cutter Scyther I got with 90% IVs will make a really good Exeggutorkiller?

It's only level 14 (so only 815 CP) and I only have 3 candies so far..

It makes a good suicide bomber for a single exeggutor. Scyther isn't actually a strong pokemon, but with the double weakness to bug type he can usually down an even level exeggutor before dying, mostly depends on whether or not the defender has solar beam. He absolutely isn't worth powering up. I have a lvl 26 wild caught Scyther with 75% IVs, he's absolutely fine for jihading into a defending Exeggutor. Suicide bombers are basically never worth powering up, I seriously regret the dust I wasted on my Cloyster instead of just waiting until I found a decent high level Shellder.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Someone on a German Pokemongo channel said the best way to use incense is to go to no-pokemons-land and use it there, since if the game doesn't know which pokemon to throw at you from location, it will throw completely random pokemon at you.
This is true, posted it pages back but I've been to one.

Baltic ferry from Estonia to Finland gave 30 uncommon/rare in 30 minutes since we hit max incense speed.

Out of two phones only one GPS worked and the ship wifi was too weak to run the game during the second lure.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looking at the conversions for some of my favorite pokemon, psychic types will always be complete shit because attack in Go is determined by averaging regular attack and special attack, which completely ignores the fact that psychic types only ever use their special attack stat. The same is true for fighting types because of their low sp atk/def, Hitmonlee having 900 CP at lvl 20 is completely retarded.

Off the top of my head Tyranitar, Garchomp, Metagross, and Hydreigon should all be Dragonite levels of ridiculous, possibly including how tedious they are to farm for. Slakoth/Slaking will absolute shatter the scales at almost 4400 CP.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
AM i the only person that has to reload this app every 5 min as i just get a spinning ball and cant do shit ?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I was driving into work yesterday and had a snorlax pop on me (yes I play and drive - sue me). Clicked on him, it did the slight lag move and he disappeared. I was sad panda.
I want to get back to this...

Fuck you for driving and playing. Pay the fuck attention.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, I've got a 141/141 Pokedex - IE, everything that I can get without travelling outside the country, minus Snorlax. I've seen one pop one time - he was up for about 2 minutes after I saw him while frantically biking around trying to find him before he disappeared.

For you folks talking about going out to a non-populated area and using incense... I've never used incense from all the levelling I've done, so I've got a bunch banked. You think that offers me a snowball's chance in hell at finding one?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Incense doesn't pop rare Pokemon often, but hell, anything is possible. No reason not to use them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, I've got a 141/141 Pokedex - IE, everything that I can get without travelling outside the country, minus Snorlax. I've seen one pop one time - he was up for about 2 minutes after I saw him while frantically biking around trying to find him before he disappeared.

For you folks talking about going out to a non-populated area and using incense... I've never used incense from all the levelling I've done, so I've got a bunch banked. You think that offers me a snowball's chance in hell at finding one?

It's not just a non-populated area, there have to be no pokemon spawns at all, which basically means no roads, but you still have to have enough of a signal to connect to the game. Also, there's a really big difference between rare and ultra rare. You could burn through hours and hours worth of incense without ever seeing a Snorlax. Your best bet to finish your Pokedex is to just hatch eggs until your feet bleed.

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
You could burn through hours and hours worth of incense without ever seeing a Snorlax. Your best bet to finish your Pokedex is to just hatch eggs until your feet bleed.

Uggh. I don't really "go out and play" the game. I have a 2 mile bike commute to work that I have modified to be a 2.5 mile bike ride that hits 26 pokestops on the way. I haven't spent any money on the game, and I don't plan on it, so I'm rolling with 1 incubator at a time except for right after I level up. Folks in my area had a #groupME chat running that people would announce rare spawns in, but that has been deserted for the past 2 weeks.

Maybe I can tape my phone to a neighborhood kid who bikes around the block a few hundred times each day.

ubiquitrips

Uggh. I don't really "go out and play" the game. I have a 2 mile bike commute to work that I have modified to be a 2.5 mile bike ride that hits 26 pokestops on the way. I haven't spent any money on the game, and I don't plan on it, so I'm rolling with 1 incubator at a time except for right after I level up. Folks in my area had a #groupME chat running that people would announce rare spawns in, but that has been deserted for the past 2 weeks.

Maybe I can tape my phone to a neighborhood kid who bikes around the block a few hundred times each day.

For just the price of a cup of coffee a day, you too can have 8 additional incubators running at once and 1000/1000 bag space. Maxing my bag space and keeping 9 incubators rolling at once was one of the largest quality of life upgrades for me. My weekend bike trips max out my bag for the week, more or less. During the week I walk 2 - 5km every day during breaks at work just to get out and about.

I am to the point that I expect to be disappointed from 10km eggs because all they really mean is I am getting another Eevee and, I live in Minnesota, they are like cockroaches here. I think I am at around a 60 - 70% Eevee hatch rate.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I got a Dragonite this morning finally. He started out at like 1982, and took about 50 great balls with raspberries. But it was worth it. (Edit: I am level 28, have only seen one before that ran away after a single throw).

ubiquitrips

I have never seen a Dragonite yet and only 3 Dratani in the wild. For whatever reason a Lapras, my first, spawned near my work this morning. I will tell you, nothing has made me jump out of my desk faster and go 'get some air'.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You really won't find Dratini away from water. I've spent some time with pokeradar looking at spawns in big cities (Chicago, LA, NYC, SF) and aside from nests which I think can be anywhere, Dratini are always along water. Along Lake Michigan and the Chicago River, everywhere along the waterfront in NYC, that kind of stuff.

Incidentally, I like to zoom the map out to show the entire country and just flip through some of the ultra rare Pokemon. Seems like wild Lapras spawn at about 1/10th the frequency of Snorlax, it's pretty ridiculous.