Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Eh, everyone has their own style. I just sit there spinning it non stop until the throw feels right. Tried ignoring great throws in favor of shrinking the circle as small as possible this morning, obviously ~20 pokemon isn't nearly a big enough sample size but it did seem like my capture rate was at least the same, maybe higher. Given the choice between the xp bonus or a higher capture rate, I think I'd prefer the higher capture rate. With the shitty pokestop situation here in town, I want to stretch my ba...pokemon capture devices are far as possible.

baaaaaaaaalls.

I'll take the XP. I throw out thousands of regular pokeballs a week anyway.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
When do you decide to use great or ultra balls over reg balls? Rarity or CP? what is your CP threshold?

I am overflowing with reg's but ultras are few and fare between, I am getting run on a lot now its lame,

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
By type. Trash pokemon only useful for leveling get red balls. Even if they're highest CP I've ever seen. Everything I actually want gets a berry and at least a blue one. Yellow ball if deep orange on a blue ball.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
When do you decide to use great or ultra balls over reg balls? Rarity or CP? what is your CP threshold?

I am overflowing with reg's but ultras are few and fare between, I am getting run on a lot now its lame,

If I need the candy for it for my pokedex or if it's a Dratini, I use berry/ultra, otherwise it gets a great ball.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
bah, woke up and saw three arenas I could take. When I got to the third, my first one was already taken back by some high level who put a 1700 vaporeon in it. Only 3/1500 this morning again :[

btw

Niantic Labs - Pokémon GO

Update from yesterday about their ban waves
We continue to work to ensure the integrity of the game and the health of our servers by blocking unauthorized access and at times by banning offending accounts. This includes blocking bots, data scraping operations, and banning end user accounts associated with those activities. Some players may not have realized that some add-on map apps do more than just show you nearby Pokémon. Each end-user app can be used as a collection tool by the app creator, invisibly collecting and forwarding data to the app creator with or without the knowledge of the end user. These apps can have an effect similar to DDoS attacks on our servers. Because of this we have had to ban some accounts associated with using these add-on map tools, leading to confusion by some users about why they were banned. This is a small subset of the accounts banned.

As a result of some changes made to our infrastructure, we are now able to unban this set of accounts. Add-on maps which scrape data from our servers still violate our Terms of Service and use of them may still result in an account ban going forward. Accounts whose sole purpose was to scrape data are not being unbanned. Accounts which used apps or websites to remotely capture Pokémon, battle or deploy on Gyms, or harvest resources from PokéStops are also not being unbanned. Our main priority is to provide a fair, fun, and legitimate experience for all players, so, aggressive banning will continue to occur for players who engage in these kinds of activities.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
bah, woke up and saw three arenas I could take. When I got to the third, my first one was already taken back by some high level who put a 1700 vaporeon in it. Only 3/1500 this morning again :[

btw

Niantic Labs - Pokémon GO

Update from yesterday about their ban waves
We continue to work to ensure the integrity of the game and the health of our servers by blocking unauthorized access and at times by banning offending accounts. This includes blocking bots, data scraping operations, and banning end user accounts associated with those activities. Some players may not have realized that some add-on map apps do more than just show you nearby Pokémon. Each end-user app can be used as a collection tool by the app creator, invisibly collecting and forwarding data to the app creator with or without the knowledge of the end user. These apps can have an effect similar to DDoS attacks on our servers. Because of this we have had to ban some accounts associated with using these add-on map tools, leading to confusion by some users about why they were banned. This is a small subset of the accounts banned.

As a result of some changes made to our infrastructure, we are now able to unban this set of accounts. Add-on maps which scrape data from our servers still violate our Terms of Service and use of them may still result in an account ban going forward. Accounts whose sole purpose was to scrape data are not being unbanned. Accounts which used apps or websites to remotely capture Pokémon, battle or deploy on Gyms, or harvest resources from PokéStops are also not being unbanned. Our main priority is to provide a fair, fun, and legitimate experience for all players, so, aggressive banning will continue to occur for players who engage in these kinds of activities.
I don't remember what the retarded debate Tyen had trying to make a false equivalence between his shitty bot and someone cheating in a different way, but this clearly shows that Niantic doesn't agree.

I'm surprised they're unbanning accounts though. It's almost tacit approval of using map apps.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Went on a run with 3 10km eggs to hatch and the rest 5km. My shitty phone decides to die mid run while it was showing 60 percent battery prior.
Feels bad man.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't remember what the retarded debate Tyen had trying to make a false equivalence between his shitty bot and someone cheating in a different way, but this clearly shows that Niantic doesn't agree.

I'm surprised they're unbanning accounts though. It's almost tacit approval of using map apps.

That was a complete straw man by Tyen, I never said word one about how Niantic viewed different forms of cheating. All I said was that emulating, while still giving a significant advantage over players playing the game normally, is nowhere near as potentially damaging to the game as botting.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Went on a run with 3 10km eggs to hatch and the rest 5km. My shitty phone decides to die mid run while it was showing 60 percent battery prior.
Feels bad man.

I ran 4+ miles last night before beach volleyball - phone on in Pokemon the entire way and got less than 3km registered. Straight lines blah blah blah - still counter intuitive to getting people out there and being active.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I don't know if I'd call it tacit approval. Map scanners shot up in popularity when in-game tracking was broken, at least around me. I assume they're well aware that permabanning people for apps often used to combat a clearly broken game feature is a sure way to lose customers. I assume they'll gradually step up the ban level for these again as their own map feature gets better.

Meanwhile, unrelated, the "I'M A PASSENGER!" button requirement while driving is a fucking terrible invention. If you're worried about people distracted driving, don't add a layer of distraction that we all know perfectly well zero people are going to see and have it cause them to stop poking and driving. Why make it more distracting? Just have it put a little car symbol with a red slashed circle over your character or whatever but don't add to the required attention investment with more shit you have to look at and click.

Imagine if your MMS gave you don't text and drive alerts in the middle of trying to type while moving too fast. Would it stop people from texting and driving? Or would it just annoy everyone - driving or not - that encounters it, while those driving now have more distraction to deal with?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Could also constitute a ceasefire. Like they acknowledge that there's no point in fighting an endless war to try and stop maps when there is nothing they can do that people won't find a way around.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Could also constitute a ceasefire. Like they acknowledge that there's no point in fighting an endless war to try and stop maps when there is nothing they can do that people won't find a way around.
Oh I don't think giving up on that is an option. Maphacks on their servers are the weeds in their garden. If they don't uproot and spray them their garden will get choked out. If they don't continually try to find ways to prevent maphacks we'll be back to armies of individuals having armies of fake bots spamming their servers.

They've got two weapons in this fight: 1. Traditional anti-cheat methods if adding credentials, banning abusers. 2: Making it such that people don't want to use the map hacks.

You know better than I do that what they have right now is a game of marco-polo where no one is responding with "Polo!". They need to fix that and add in a fun and engaging tracking system.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure it's just me but every single Pokemon that I've caught today has spent half of the battle in block mode. Extremely frustrating wasting multiple balls on a single Pokemon because they decide to go full Bruce Lee on me.

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Some of the most fun I've had in this game is when I had a friend who ran a scanning bot that sent out alerts to a group whenever a rare spawned. There was about 300 people in the group at it's heyday, about a week after the game's tracker totally broke.

So I'd be at the store and get an alert: Lickitung spawned at Park Plaza Apartments - Click for Map Coordinates. I'd hop in my car, race 10 minutes to get there, and once I was there, there were 40+ people all laughing and talking and pointing and rocking out.

I know it's geeky and nerdy and proof that I'm obv a virgin for life - but man, I felt like I was *part of something.* We all were there for the same reason, some of us had the misfortune of a 39cp pokemon, others had a perfect IV, high CP poke... They'd show it off to other people, ask if people had seen the Koffing along the way, etc. etc. etc.

I understand that Niantic doesn't want to send me an alert every time a good pokemon spawns within 2 miles of me - but there are some serious benefits that they promoted in their advertising that they're missing out on.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am of the mindset that Niantic doesn't have much of a leg to stand on until they fix their in-game tracking. The game is significantly less fun 'hoping' something interesting is near you rather than being able to locate it semi accurately.

Rice Park in St. Paul this weekend was highly amusing for the mob mentality. There must have been 50 - 60 people playing the usual lure party game. Every so often, someone using a tracker would start moving, then the herd followed. Didn't necessarily know what was being tracked, but bunches of folks just mass migrating because who wants to miss out. Was quite the sight.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Was gonna write a big long thing about my adventure today in Odaiba but then I screwed myself out of a Lickitung and got the sads and now I don't feel like it :(

CBTgyJ9WcAA_vLs.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user