Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's an interesting point though.

If they make local battling / trading mandatory (i.e. No online trading or battles), then people are going to be forced to meet up and play to level up. You're probably not going to get very far if you only catch and train on the Pidgey that shows up at your local park that you go to once a month.

Requiring travel and effort to not only catch Pokemon, but level them up could make this game really interesting. But at the same time, that could be a huge barrier to a lot of people.
Yea a bunch of kids aspies and adhd pedo SJWs are going to YOLO and seek out human contact in order to catch rare bird pokemon. Utopia.
There will be a day one Lucky Patch for it that lets you manipulate the GPS, calling it now.
I'd say these three posts summarize my feelings pretty well.

For those that know more about this stuff, what could possibly be done to stop manipulation of GPS? It seems like any kind of real security check would be incredibly invasive to your phone and easily circumventable on any android-based phone. You'd really have to have a proprietary piece of hardware which would obliterate any chance of most using it.

I also don't know what their revenue stream is like for their other game, but I wonder if it'd be rich enough ($5 per ultra ball!) to have real checks and support staff to catch people cheating.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still making Gameboys makes sense. They can have better battery lives than phones. They can be given to children without the worry of children being able to have the accessibility of smart phones. But mainly battery life. Smart phone last a few hours of play, Gameboys can last days.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ingress has this issue with GPS spoofing on both iPhone and Android so yeah they aren't going to defeat that, there really isn't a way to do so right now other than log GPS coordinates and ban or do something to people that shift places within a certain timeframe and then you will get false positives from people traveling.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Ingress has this issue with GPS spoofing on both iPhone and Android so yeah they aren't going to defeat that, there really isn't a way to do so right now other than log GPS coordinates and ban or do something to people that shift places within a certain timeframe and then you will get false positives from people traveling.
Ingress recently introduced anti spoofing code in the game. If you travel to new locations quickly it locks you from doing anything for a time period. Also if you do something in one location it locks you to that area for a small time frame like 30 minutes or so.

If you still cheat after that game will flag frequent flyers and flag them to "observer" mode basically only allowing them to view but not react.

If you still cheat then you have the actual CSR human team that can ban you.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Or maybe just make a good pokemon game for ios/android first and add your stupid geocaching bullshit later.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yea. I mean it's an interesting idea but I'd love to just have a few Nintendo games on phones instead of them trying to peddle newer and shittier versions of game boys. They had their time and place but stop coming out with ten year old hardware if you want me to buy a dedicated mobile platform for hundreds of dollars for a couple games. Every time I think about getting a DS the only thing I can think of when holding it is "BlackBerry".
I think the 3DS is really legit, though. Two screens is awesome.

Still making Gameboys makes sense. They can have better battery lives than phones. They can be given to children without the worry of children being able to have the accessibility of smart phones. But mainly battery life. Smart phone last a few hours of play, Gameboys can last days.
Also, since Sony isn't making a Vita successor, the 3DS only faces competition from Android/iOS and... uh, NVidia Shield?

For those that know more about this stuff, what could possibly be done to stop manipulation of GPS? It seems like any kind of real security check would be incredibly invasive to your phone and easily circumventable on any android-based phone. You'd really have to have a proprietary piece of hardware which would obliterate any chance of most using it.
I know some games (like Summoners War) read the apps installed on your phone, and if it sees Lucky Patch, it will either refuse to launch or crash itself. Other games (like Fallout Shelter and the Yu-Gi-Oh game) don't give a crap and let you hack the store to your heart's content.

I haven't found a way to get around Summoners War's security check yet, but I also haven't tried very hard.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I know with a jailbroken iphone there are apps to hide the fact that it's jailbroken. I don't know what lucky patch is but I guess that's an android patcher, I bet there is some kind of hider for that? No clue.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I know with a jailbroken iphone there are apps to hide the fact that it's jailbroken. I don't know what lucky patch is but I guess that's an android patcher, I bet there is some kind of hider for that? No clue.
Yeah, you can hide it on android as well, Going after rooted phones is a pretty backwards way to handle the issue the best way is to just run some stuff server side using if/then to catch things that are strange.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I just have to find one. So far I've tried freezing/unfreezing the app before/after the game runs its patcher to check for it, but no dice. But like I said, I haven't tried very hard.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ingress recently introduced anti spoofing code in the game. If you travel to new locations quickly it locks you from doing anything for a time period. Also if you do something in one location it locks you to that area for a small time frame like 30 minutes or so.

If you still cheat after that game will flag frequent flyers and flag them to "observer" mode basically only allowing them to view but not react.

If you still cheat then you have the actual CSR human team that can ban you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Ingress you have to convert local nodes regularly to spread your team's influence on a map, right? So someone spoofing their location would need to continuously do that to be effective.

Where as in Pokemon Go, I'm imagining specific locations being central areas to capture rare pokemon, like they show on the trailer. The biggest focus probably being Mewtwo. So all you need to do is realistically spoof your location as being times square, and you can participate in the capture of Mewtwo. And you only need to do this once, not every midnight. Then you want a Charizard? Just spoof your location to be the rolling landscape of Ireland (or wherever they were) to get it.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Ingress you have to convert local nodes regularly to spread your team's influence on a map, right? So someone spoofing their location would need to continuously do that to be effective.

Where as in Pokemon Go, I'm imagining specific locations being central areas to capture rare pokemon, like they show on the trailer. The biggest focus probably being Mewtwo. So all you need to do is realistically spoof your location as being times square, and you can participate in the capture of Mewtwo. And you only need to do this once, not every midnight. Then you want a Charizard? Just spoof your location to be the rolling landscape of Ireland (or wherever they were) to get it.
Partially I believe, Events like Mewtwo will most likely be run by Nintendo and will have an advertised time and place, Those events you could easily pop over to Time Square an hour or so before hand and wait out your lock outs before the event, Since this isn't a team based game and everyone who helps beat Mewtwo catches him I don't see that being that bad of a problem.

The part of the Charizard I think will be incorrect because they won't have a map like Ingress does, Currently you can check the ingress map for a spawn in Ireland then spoof over to it and capture it. In pokemon the app only shows you the closest pokemon to you so unless you randomly jump to location to location each time waiting for the cooldown to expire in hopes of finding a rare pokemon I don't seen how practical it could be.

It also looks like non-event Pokemon can only be caught once unlike ingress where the portals stay there permanently, So unless Pokemon "spawn" like in a pattern like a MMO, (Blarney Stone has Pidgey,Pidgey,Pidgey,Rattata,Rattata,Charizard,Pid gey then you could in theory "camp" it and get a charizard.) If Pokemon move and change locations randomly I don't think you could easily "snipe" Rare Pokemon.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So unless Pokemon "spawn" like in a pattern like a MMO, (Blarney Stone has Pidgey,Pidgey,Pidgey,Rattata,Rattata,Charizard,Pid gey then you could in theory "camp" it and get a charizard.) If Pokemon move and change locations randomly I don't think you could easily "snipe" Rare Pokemon.
I think many people believe that is how it will work but I haven't seen any proof

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It also looks like non-event Pokemon can only be caught once unlike ingress where the portals stay there permanently, So unless Pokemon "spawn" like in a pattern like a MMO, (Blarney Stone has Pidgey,Pidgey,Pidgey,Rattata,Rattata,Charizard,Pid gey then you could in theory "camp" it and get a charizard.) If Pokemon move and change locations randomly I don't think you could easily "snipe" Rare Pokemon.
I'm assuming everything we know about PGo is from both the trailer and the Pokemon stuff that preceded it.

In which case I think that's exactly how it works. My guess is:
1. Large swathes of geographical areas will have a large number (20+) of different spawns.
Ex: The southern half of Africa can spawn Dugtrio, the archipelagos of southeast Asia can spawn magikarp.

2. Then specific geographical areas can spawn the spawns in their large area + certain pokemon.
Ex: Madagascar can spawn Squirtle, Japan can spawn Machop.

3. Then very specific areas can spawn rare pokemon.
Ex: The Eiffel tower can spawn some French pokemon. Mount Everest spawns some ridiculous pokemon.

4. Then events add on top of that, ex: Mewtwo in time's square.

If everything is randomized such that you have roughly the same chance of catching a given pokemon by taking a drive around your city as you do traveling to specific locations, then the game avoids the GPS spoofing problem somewhat and loses a huge part of what makes it interesting to me.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'm assuming everything we know about PGo is from both the trailer and the Pokemon stuff that preceded it.

In which case I think that's exactly how it works. My guess is:
1. Large swathes of geographical areas will have a large number (20+) of different spawns.
Ex: The entire midwest could spawn Dugtrio, the archipelagos of southeast Asia can spawn magikarp.

2. Then specific geographical areas can spawn the spawns in their large area + certain pokemon.
Ex: Madagascar can spawn Squirtle, Japan can spawn Machop.

3. Then very specific areas can spawn rare pokemon.
Ex: The Eiffel tower can spawn some French pokemon. Mount Everest spawns some ridiculous pokemon.

4. Then events add on top of that, ex: Mewtwo in time's square.

If everything is randomized such that you have roughly the same chance of catching a given pokemon by taking a drive around your city as you do traveling to specific locations, then the game avoids the GPS spoofing problem somewhat and loses a huge part of what makes it interesting to me.
I'm basing my assumptions on Ingress the game that will be the backbone of Pokemon Go.

I do not think you will see ANY random spawn locations as Ingress got a lot of heat with people trespassing to capture nodes, all the ingress nodes are all on public locations like Parks,Stores bus stops airports and such. So you won't see a Pokemon siting in someones residential yard but you will see them in front of 7-11 or a Mall parking lot or Park.

That being said, I can't see them letting you catch all Pokemon in just one area. In my example with the Charizard earlier I didn't mean that all Pokemon are random I mean the spawn points are. So I live in Philadelphia they assign 50 Pokemon in my area 30 Commons 15 Rares 5 Ultra rares if none of those Pokemon are Charizard then I'm out of luck no matter how many times I drive around Philadelphia. I would have to drive to New Jersey or another city or whatever.

I think they will have to give Pokemon multiple locations around the world though. If I have to go to Syria for abras then i'm shit out of luck but if Abras Spawn in, Syria,Arizona,Sydney,Japan,Brazil,Hawaii,Maine etc then chances are there is a location that I could go to.

I mean they have 750 Pokemon they will have to overlap to keep the game interesting and actually allow people to catch new pokemon.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
g1396472666528181809.jpg