Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Went for a walk today. Pokemon wouldn't load the whole time. All those steps to incubate eggs lost, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Went for a walk today. Pokemon wouldn't load the whole time. All those steps to incubate eggs lost, like tears in rain. Time to die.
xh5Ry2A.jpg

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I just used one of those pokemaps to check out central park. There's about 8 million pokemon there. Shits unfair Bros. Weirdest thing is like half of them are pinsirs.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Just found a 799 Porygon in a 5 km egg. I cant seem to find any rarity list with him on it so im not sure how hard he is to find

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Got my first Snorlax from a candy, has Lick/Body Slam (best moves I guess?), 2000CP and 83% IV. I'm pretty happy about it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
that went up like two days after it was released here

mWmGF6D.jpg

College advertising one of its locations being a poke stop

Chris

Potato del Grande
I just used one of those pokemaps to check out central park. There's about 8 million pokemon there. Shits unfair Bros. Weirdest thing is like half of them are pinsirs.
The fuck? Just confirmed this, there's like 20 in the limited range of the map.

Did they specifically buff american parks to be like this or is it based on population density? In the UK we seem to have noticable 3 biomes, grass(Weedle)/water(all types)/city(drowzee) with each seeming to have some rarer spawns like Jinx in cities, Caterpie on grass or Dratini on water. Then if a park has a rare spawn, it's once an hour at best.

The problem for me may be that while the UK is one of the most densely populated countries, it's mainly spawling suburbs and smaller towns covering wide swaths of the island rather than people concentrated in skyscraper cities for max density then 1000s of miles of wilderness lowering the average.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The fuck? Just confirmed this, there's like 20 in the limited range of the map.

Did they specifically buff american parks to be like this or is it based on population density? In the UK we seem to have noticable 3 biomes, grass(Weedle)/water(all types)/city(drowzee) with each seeming to have some rarer spawns like Jinx in cities, Caterpie on grass or Dratini on water. Then if a park has a rare spawn, it's once an hour at best.

The problem for me may be that while the UK is one of the most densely populated countries, it's mainly spawling suburbs and smaller towns covering wide swaths of the island rather than people concentrated in skyscraper cities for max density then 1000s of miles of wilderness lowering the average.
It's different city by city.

Southampton city centre was full of Drowzee and Jinx. Portsmouth had less of both and more voltorbs and magnets

Chris

Potato del Grande
Where in Southhampton? Every city centre I've checked in northern europe has Drowzee everywhere with the rare Jinx. Once you hit Italy/Spain you get Doduo instead.

EDIT: Found an industrial estate south of the river with 2 voltorb/magnemite. I wonder if this is a rare spawn (once an hour), nest (fucking everywhere) or a seperate biome (large chance to randomly spawn)?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's mostly population density. Central Park was probably also super big with Ingress too.

Put in about 5km this morning accounting for the app not catching all your movement. Stocked back on pokeballs and caught a few random pokermans that spawned along my pokestop loop.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Where in Southhampton? Every city centre I've checked in northern europe has Drowzee everywhere with the rare Jinx. Once you hit Italy/Spain you get Doduo instead.

EDIT: Found an industrial estate south of the river with 2 voltorb/magnemite. I wonder if this is a rare spawn (once an hour), nest (fucking everywhere) or a seperate biome (large chance to randomly spawn)?
All the parks in the centre, down to the Red Jet terminal / Town Quay - full of Drowzee.

The mainspot in Portsmouth is Victoria Park - around there is voltorbs and magnets

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like they've missed the mark with the way they've copied ingress for pogo. There's a lot of ways they can improve it, but I feel like using their trailer as a design example for the game is pretty suitable, so I trust them to do the right thing.

In my opinion, city, state, national parks should not just be ideal places to catch pokemon, but each park should have 1-3 specific rare pokemon that are common there. Those pokemon should only exist in those special areas. Ex: I should be able to catch pidgeys in any forest biome, but venesaur should only spawn in specific areas. If I want it I have to ask around for where it spawns, then take a trip there to capture it.

Setting this up would be a lot of work though, especially when we're talking about a "world" that encompasses, well, the world.

I don't mind the current setup so much, because it fits me being able to catch just about everything in my neighborhood even if most spawns are rare.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It does work that way Tuco (parks are dark green on the map). I live next to a medium size park with a few Voltorb spawning each hour with a golf course full of Nidoran(m) next to it. Not far away are parks with hourly Ponyta/Growlith/Magmar. So it seems like some pokemon are extremely rare spawns more commonly found in these places. I'm only now tracking this with a maphack.

The problem is spawns ALSO being based off cell usage. Looks like Central Park in New York got assign Pinsir and population density made it go insane. Meanwhile my quiet UK parks are almost empty. So an actual massive national park may have a rare spawn but will also be so empty that it never spawns.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I agree. I like the idea of having to travel to get some. The original game used the concept of 2 versions and needing to trade; this sort of a feeling of needing to branch out has always been part of the games. I've been able to get almost everything (except a fucking snorlax but that's RNG) without leaving the Philly/SouthNJ area. I'd think it'd work with very broad regions, eg Atlantic Northeast, Australia, and Korea are the only places with Dratini. South America, British Isles, and Japan have Abra. Etc.

Personally I do NOT like this player density = rares mechanic. I'd prefer they added Ingress missions if they want to put something in; them and eggs for the rares and ideally with regional attributes. Having more people = more rares means that spots with more people (and with central park a million "people" not even there) cause the spot to attract more people and it snowballs. People in my area are already catching on to which spots are hotbeds and these are getting swamped, I couldn't find parking at the good one nearest me yesterday, but some of the mediocre local parts that are only decent for pokestops but not usually mobbed are losing their appeal. I actually thought it was just lost interest after the initial rush, at first, but the very best places are actually getting more and more crowded; I think it's just people concentrating more heavily. There's no reason for me to go to a playground etc since I have all my basics. It's either go to a mobbed location (for rares) or waste my time. That's shitty design.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
The more complicated you make it and the more travel involved to find different types the more you promote spoofing among the people retarded enough to bother and the less diverse and fun it will be for the casual player who just wants to walk around and catch different shit.

It's a fucking phone game. It even has less interactive content and "point" than most other phone games. For fucks sake, the entire system is a shitty balanced time sink with no pay off.