Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks for doing the calculations with the silph road calculator. This has become a semantic debate and I don't think anyone cares, but the IV is essentially an additive window of power, and 100% IV achieves the maximum of that window.

level 24 Snorlax
100% IV: 2134CP, 100% maximum possible CP, 100% of window
95% IV: 2120CP, 99% maximum possible CP, 95% of window
0%IV: 1850CP, 87% maximum possible CP, 0% of window

So the window size in this case is 2134 - 1850 = 284 (what you pointed out). The numbers for % IV match, like what you described. But for the full CP range a 95% IV will not correspond to 95% maximum possible CP, just 95% maximum possible CP contribution from that window, resulting in 99% maximum total CP.

It's not semantics if your numbers are worthless and mine aren't. Your numbers have absolutely no relation to the IV values because the full CP range is irrelevant. DA 50% IV snorlax will still have 93% of its maximum possible CP, and a 0% snorlax will have 86% of its maximum possible CP, whereas my way of doing it actually reflects what IVs mean. The only thing your numbers do is show that IVs don't make a huge difference, which we already knew.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's interesting about the impact of IV is that when viewed as a percent of the total CP it doesn't seem that impactful, but when viewed in relation to the impact of leveling up they are much more important.

Ex: when I go from 30 to 31, I can level my 80% IV Snorlax from 2661 to 2704. But if it was 100% IV, that Snorlax at would be 2735 already when I was trainer level 30. It might take me several weeks or a month to go from 30 to 31, so a pokemon who is perfect would save me a month of effort.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
What should I do pokebros? I have enough dratini candy to evolve a dragonite. I have a 100% IV CP 43 dratini, but evolving that will get me a CP 164 dragonite that will require a lot of candies and stardust to max. I also have a 71% IV CP 637 dratini, which will get me a roughly 2410 CP dragonite, or an 85% IV CP 596 dratini which will get me roughly a 2272 CP dragonite. Obviously the CP 43 dratini has the highest ceiling, but that's a lot of candies and stardust to take it from CP 162 up to 2k+.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
What should I do pokebros? I have enough dratini candy to evolve a dragonite. I have a 100% IV CP 43 dratini, but evolving that will get me a CP 164 dragonite that will require a lot of candies and stardust to max. I also have a 71% IV CP 637 dratini, which will get me a roughly 2410 CP dragonite, or an 85% IV CP 596 dratini which will get me roughly a 2272 CP dragonite. Obviously the CP 43 dratini has the highest ceiling, but that's a lot of candies and stardust to take it from CP 162 up to 2k+.

Calculate what they will be at max. Decide which one you can live with.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What trainer level are you?

If you've been able to get a lot of candy and aren't too high level, you'll probably continue to get a lot of candy.

The answer to this question depends on how much do you want a tough dragonite now, and how long do you plan on playing? If you have zero good pokemon and wreck gyms asap, then evolve your 85%, if you've got a few good pokemon or don't care about gyms, I'd recommend you hang on to your candy and only evolve that low CP dratini once you have enough candy to evolve it AND level it up. You may find a high-level, high IV dratini later, and there's no extra cost from waiting now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The stardust isn't that big a deal but the amount of candy it would take to power up a CP 43 dratini would be absolutely ridiculous. I mean if you actually have that much dratini candy to spare, I'd totally use the 100% dratini, otherwise I'd stick with the 85% one.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea fuck that 100% one, you're looking at gyrados levels of candy needed to level him up to an acceptable CP level, not to mention the like 200kish stardust it will take. I don't think any single pokemon is worth that investment.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Worth is relative to how much time you plan on playing the game. Right now the game is essentially beta without a real endgame, but it's very likely the endgame will consist of building up a team of perfect pokemon. If you only need a few dragonites, soon enough Dratini candy will become worthless to you. If you've already got a solid crew of a dozen pokemon, the function of stardust will only be to level up alternate pokemon, future pokemon or new pokemon who have high IVs.

In other words, if you're planning on playing for a while, you're either going to level up the high IV, low CP pokemon now, or you'll do it later and wastebin the low/mid ones you've already powered up.

Last edited:

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Well I'm level 24 but I don't exactly have a murderers row of pokemon in my lineup
These are all pretty much wild caught as is aside from the vaporeon that I powered up before really knowing about IVs

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you want to hit gyms, I think you would do just fine taking your 85% Dratini and evolving it. Not sure what moveset you should hope for though, or how much it matters.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Oh, and disabling the maps before their new tracker system was implemented is beyond stupid. They should have put a link to pokevision.com in the tracker page instead of shutting it down.

It doesn't bother me much, but meat of this game is finding pokemon by moving around. If you can't track, there's no reason to move around. The only good way to play the game currently is to either catch random pokemon as you move in a set pattern (what I do) or camp out on lures. Both of those gameplay strategies are not exciting.

So much this. It sucks the joy out of the game that I can't hunt as it was intended. The game is shallow enough without taking out the only part I liked.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Is this shit down again? Can't log in via the app (Which has the issue of knocking my mobile phone connection offline) or via the site. EU.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly wonder if they're just retarded or if they're actively trying to force players into the cash shops for lures and incubators.

Dratini from my third 10k egg, but he's only 82% and I'm a loooooong way from being able to evolve to a dragonair anyway, much less a dragonite. Tempted to go full autism and start putting in 20km days just to get through eggs faster without breaking the bank on incubators.

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I guess my work has a drowsy nest inside it... because I popped out to see 5 of the fuckers waiting for me. God damn does that suck... why couldn't it be something good?

I'm not even sure there is a decent nest in my entire metro area. I think we have a growlith nest in a nearby park.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
It will change. I had a drowzee nest last week right on top of my desk, today it seems to be Eevees, can't complain about that shit right now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It will change. I had a drowzee nest last week right on top of my desk, today it seems to be Eevees, can't complain about that shit right now.
It's been here since release, I'm really doubting it's going to change.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I guess my work has a drowsy nest inside it... because I popped out to see 5 of the fuckers waiting for me. God damn does that suck... why couldn't it be something good?

I'm not even sure there is a decent nest in my entire metro area. I think we have a growlith nest in a nearby park.

The entire game is a drowzee nest in Chicago.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Decent being the operative word. Not really worth the dust to power him up when you can just be patient and wait for a good exeggutor from 5k eggs. I'm not exactly sure how much combat power actually translates into combat because my 1250 magmar with a fighting type fast move couldn't beat a 1k snorlax (it may just be that snorlax is retardedly overpowered) but at my trainer level of 23 a 100% hypno would have a CP of 1528 whereas a 100% exeggutor has 2068. Then again an alakazam would only have a 1269, so who knows how much it actually matters. Regardless, psychic is very underpowered with the simplified 'gameplay' of Go. In the core games, psychic types typically have absurdly high special attack which means their attacks hit like a freight train even without a type weakness.

Without the ability to one-shot the enemy pokemon with an obnoxiously hard hitting psybeam/psychic, Alakazam's terrible HPs make him trash in Pokemon Go even though he's obnoxiously powerful in the Gen 1 handheld games.