Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
thought this was already apparent by my posts. as a botter, not being able to bot, and now poopsing on gyms.

you can archive this "guess" to fact in your databases now.

fgts

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAVUAAAAJGI1ZGE1MDE0LTJjODctNDU0YS1hNDQyLWM1YjI3MTNiZTk0Nw.png
I don't really base my opinion on what you have to say, because you don't know shit about pokemon, except that I know how easy pokemongo is to bot because you're able to do it, even if your botting is pretty weak.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Is there anywhere that explains what having a high IV score means in greater detail than "better distribution of statistics"?

IV's are 3 hidden stats - offense, defense, stamina - that can range from zero to fifteen. All three of these hidden stats being at 15 means you've got a 100% IV roll.

Max CP is a ceiling based on your trainer level that continues to go up reportedly until level 40.

You can have a 100% IV pokemon that's only got 300 CP. If you leveled it all the way up though, it'd beat out any others you had.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
IV is a percentage. It is a metric to show how far along until max CP.

If IV is 95%, it means the CP is 95% of the way to max.

Also "max" is max for your trainer level, not necessarily the end-all max CP that pokeman could have. If you level a bit more, you can spend more stardust to pump the IV up.

ya feeler?
You don't know shit about pokemon you fuckin dick!

IV is the Individual Value, or the hidden attribute that determines it's potential. In PoGo it's a combination of their attack, defense and stamina. If you have a Pokemon with 0% IV, once you max it out it'll have less CP than another pokemon with 100% IV. It might be a matter of several hundred CP at high levels.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Every time Tyen posts about the game proves he doesn't understand any part of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah I could tell Tyen's answer was wrong even though I was the one asking the question. Thanks for the actual explanations.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Uh, I dislike Tyen more than most people but I don't see anything factually wrong with his explanation of IVs. His phrasing is a bit weird which is maybe what threw you guys off, but he isn't wrong. Your IVs are what determine the CP a pokemon has, and if your pokemon has 95% IVs, it has 95% of the maximum possible CP it could have. Unless I'm also misunderstanding how IVs work in Go.

Turns out Knight's Action Park is mostly a waterpark, so I didn't actually spend that much time hitting pokestops since I didn't have my phone on me except when we stopped for snacks. Still hit enough to replenish my stocks quite a bit though since there weren't any pokemon to capture there, only saw one lure the entire day because I assume people were too busy with the water.. Let my friend's 2 year old pop a 2k egg that I hatched. She got me a pidgey so I told her she was never allowed to play pokemon again. No, I didn't really tell her that. Got my third 10k egg while I was there so I'm gonna hatch that sumbitch tomorrow even though I'm sure it's gonna be another scyther, or a mr mime.

Also, holy shit I have the most epic sunburn on my upper arms, because I put sunblock on before I changed into a sleeveless swim shirt. God almighty.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
False I caught this asshole yesterday.

TdrIR2D.png

L6U97mS.png

His arc is barely filled at all. Nowhere near his max CP even though he is 100% attack IV. I had just gotten lvl 20 before catching it. If I caught that at level 2, his arc would be maxed out because your CP ceiling raises with trainer level.

TdrIR2D.png

L6U97mS.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That arc just shows what level the pokemon is in relation to what level you are. It has nothing to do with CP. If that Eevee had lower IVs it would have a lower CP but the point on the arc would be in the same position.

People in glass houses.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Niantic Labs - Pokémon GO

also known as

"buttmad we had to spend time combating cheaters in a game"

The chart below shows the drop in server resources consumed when we blocked scrapers.

server_resources.png

SOE-Macroquest dilemma. Same shit, different game.

Also, agree with everything Gavinmad Gavinmad just said.

server_resources.png

Last edited:

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Is there anywhere that explains what having a high IV score means in greater detail than "better distribution of statistics"?
IV is the percentage your base stats have between worst and best possible for a given pokemon level.

Suppose you have a Pokemon and fed him candy/dust until his half-circle is maxed. It will have say, 750cp and 70 hp. Pick another pokemon of the same species and max the half-circle, and find that it has 730cp and 55hp; that pokemon had a lower IV (Internal or Intrinsic Value) than the first one. Since your pokemon's capped to your level, you can't grow the second pokemon to a better stats than the first one; as long as they're both max level, the second one will be weaker than the first.

(there's actually 3 different stats, attack, defense, stamina, and they all can have different values from min to max, the IV % is usually the mix of all 3)

Of course, it gets more complicated because the pokemon may have different attacks; it doesn't matter if you have a 95% IV vs a 80% IV if the 95% has the weakest special attack possible while the 80% has the meanest bite. So, usually, when you look at the final evolution (moves get changed when evolving a pokemon), you check first the attacks. However, since you're losing the attacks, when you pick a pokemon to evolve, you pick the one with the highest IV%; if it gets nice moves, you'll keep him max level after.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can't pump up IVs, you can only pump up the level of the pokemon. That's factually wrong in his explanation.

You are correct sir! I read it as CP since I assumed that's what he meant. Mea culpa.

Anyway, I know I'm not the only one getting pissed off about these changes to the game, so I decided to yell at the devs in person.

IkJjrrS.jpg

IkJjrrS.jpg

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Uh, I dislike Tyen more than most people but I don't see anything factually wrong with his explanation of IVs. His phrasing is a bit weird which is maybe what threw you guys off, but he isn't wrong. Your IVs are what determine the CP a pokemon has, and if your pokemon has 95% IVs, it has 95% of the maximum possible CP it could have. Unless I'm also misunderstanding how IVs work in Go.
This is numerically false because, roughly, a 95% Snorlax at level 24 will have some 2100IV, and a 0% snorlax will have some 1900IV or something.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Niantic Labs - Pokémon GO

also known as

"buttmad we had to spend time combating cheaters in a game"

server_resources.png

SOE-Macroquest dilemma. Same shit, different game.

Also, agree with everything Gavinmad Gavinmad just said.
If they want to get people to stop whining about turning off the trackers they should just describe what their new tracking system looks like, if they are indeed working on a real replacement.

server_resources.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I prefer the standard one from the pokerman games, as long as you remember that 100% immunity was changed to just be the normal type bonus.

This is numerically false because, roughly, a 95% Snorlax at level 24 will have some 2100IV, and a 0% snorlax will have some 1900IV or something.

Uh, wut? a lvl 24 snorlax has an IV range of 1850-2134, which is a range of 284. A 0% snorlax would have 1850 CP. A 95% snorlax has 2121 CP. 2113-2121=13. 284-13=271. 271/284=95%. Try it with the Silph Road IV calculator. I know I haven't had a math class in a life age of middle earth, but that's some pretty simple math.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for doing the calculations with the silph road calculator. This has become a semantic debate and I don't think anyone cares, but the IV is essentially an additive window of power, and 100% IV achieves the maximum of that window.

level 24 Snorlax
100% IV: 2134CP, 100% maximum possible CP, 100% of window
95% IV: 2120CP, 99% maximum possible CP, 95% of window
0%IV: 1850CP, 87% maximum possible CP, 0% of window

So the window size in this case is 2134 - 1850 = 284 (what you pointed out). The numbers for % IV match, like what you described. But for the full CP range a 95% IV will not correspond to 95% maximum possible CP, just 95% maximum possible CP contribution from that window, resulting in 99% maximum total CP.