Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I honestly wonder if they're just retarded or if they're actively trying to force players into the cash shops for lures and incubators.
I think their server architecture didn't scale correctly, and they're trying to redesign stuff (which will take longer than fixing bugs).

There's basically 4 "service" components:

- Pokestops/Arenas, which are static, easily grouped and sorted, and thus scale well
- Km tracking, which is lightly loaded anyway, and works pretty well overall (does incense/eggs)
- Pokemons next to you, which seem to scale a bit less, which is why they've switched to a 10s+ polling

and the main culprit

- The tracker, which has to find the 9 closest pokemons, sort them, add some indicator, and report back to you.

This one doesn't scale as well as they thought. The sort is probably killing their servers, which is why it broke early, and they seem not to be able to fix it. The problem is that it's entirely server-side, which means they can't offload the tasks to the phone, and they need to rewrite completely that part of the app before they do.

That's why the tracker will remain broken for a long while. In its current form, its more than useless, since it tend not to display pokemon that are really close to you at times. (I mean, I was coming back from work, an Exeggcute appears on the other side of the street, and it wasn't even on the 9 local pokemon track; according to it I was supposed to see a rat - which I saw -, a nidoran - which I never saw - and some other pokemon I can't remember).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
(it may just be that snorlax is retardedly overpowered)
Snorlax is retardedly overpowered. It's type and move combinations make it that there's no real good pokemon against him; you'd need a Steel with Fighting moves as the optimal guy, and there's none, so you have to pick someone strong against him (fighting moves) or hope to have a type that is strong against his moves (Ghost, with Dark moves).

Essentially, defeating a Snorlax means a very specific pokemon which will probably not be effective against any other.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And even if you had the right types, the type bonuses are so small youd probably be better off with another snorlax anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think their server architecture didn't scale correctly, and they're trying to redesign stuff (which will take longer than fixing bugs).

There's basically 4 "service" components:

- Pokestops/Arenas, which are static, easily grouped and sorted, and thus scale well
- Km tracking, which is lightly loaded anyway, and works pretty well overall (does incense/eggs)
- Pokemons next to you, which seem to scale a bit less, which is why they've switched to a 10s+ polling

and the main culprit

- The tracker, which has to find the 9 closest pokemons, sort them, add some indicator, and report back to you.

This one doesn't scale as well as they thought. The sort is probably killing their servers, which is why it broke early, and they seem not to be able to fix it. The problem is that it's entirely server-side, which means they can't offload the tasks to the phone, and they need to rewrite completely that part of the app before they do.

That's why the tracker will remain broken for a long while. In its current form, its more than useless, since it tend not to display pokemon that are really close to you at times. (I mean, I was coming back from work, an Exeggcute appears on the other side of the street, and it wasn't even on the 9 local pokemon track; according to it I was supposed to see a rat - which I saw -, a nidoran - which I never saw - and some other pokemon I can't remember).
Good post, my theory is they have an entirely new tracking system thst the A team is working on and they esnt to roll thst out instead of fixing the interim tracking system.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Speaking of Snorlaxs, my GPS bugged out at work for a bit and sent me a couple hundred meters away... right into a Snorlax just chilling in front of Tokyo Station.

Snagged that up and used the candy to power up my egg-hatched Snorlax, it's up to 2110 CP now and still has a little more room to grow.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You'd think it would be possible to create an app that worked like pokeadvisor and it wouldn't be something Niantic could block so easily

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'll be going to Red Bank Park in NJ this weekend to catch Snorlax and Abra if anyone is in the area.

Place is pretty popping, common Snorlax, dragonite, Kadabra and Lapras . Arcanine blastoise and charizard as well occasionally.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
PokeAdvisor getting blocked is unfortunate. I will have to see if the mitm pogo optimizer still works. I just have some level of fundamental problem with allowing network traffic from my phone to be proxied through a random app. Seems like begging to have your identity stolen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You'd think it would be possible to create an app that worked like pokeadvisor and it wouldn't be something Niantic could block so easily
The problem is that it's trivial for Niantic to add layers of authentication to prove it's a legit app. That's what happened with the map hacks / bots. They reverse engineered the authentication, but it's trivial for niantic to either break it again by changing it, or they can improve the authetnication to one that isn't broken easily.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a way to create a VPN that will snifff packets going through and tell you the IV, I almost installed it but decided to just go through the normal methods to find the IV. It's not 100% guaranteed but it's accurate enough.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I wish there was an area like that near Detroit.

There has to be hotspots near you. I just troll the Pokemon Philly subreddit and the Pokemon Philly Facebook group. Try and see if they are Detroit versions.

People will post what they find.

Rali

Trakanon Raider

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Your saviour is here (if on Android):- GoIV (Pokemon IV Calculator) - Android Apps sa Google Play

Just tried it against some of my Pokemons I had already renamed with their IV value and it seems accurate enough! Now to go through the couple hundred pokemon I caught today..

This is working well for me against guys I have benchmarked via MITM / pokeadvisor, etc. Now I can go back to being unhappy with the game for different reasons.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
and an avid non-pokemon player, this is all I can think of

CpW4ngNVYAANWxq.jpg