Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
This shit needs some work. The gyms don't fucking work at all. Every time I defeat a pokemon it just sits there with zero health and I have to restart the app and then I can't go back in the gym. I would have taken over 3 gyms today but not a single one worked. Consider me rustled.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I might go to thestate parkclose to me and see what's there.
Is it long paths through beautiful nature with a few pokestops on signposts? DON'T GO.
Is it landscaped full of people picnicking, maybe a cafe and a string of pokestops you can follow in a 5 minute loop? Could be good!

That being said the nature reserve next to me which has very few pokemon and stops has Voltorbs for some reason. They seem to hang around near some sort of little water treatment plant so maybe there's a script for electric types to show up near utilities? I even saw an exeggcute on the radar once.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it long paths through beautiful nature with a few pokestops on signposts? DON'T GO.
Is it landscaped full of people picnicking, maybe a cafe and a string of pokestops you can follow in a 5 minute loop? Could be good!

That being said the nature reserve next to me which has very few pokemon and stops has Voltorbs for some reason. They seem to hang around near some sort of little water treatment plant so maybe there's a script for electric types to show up near utilities? I even saw an exeggcute on the radar once.
It's the most popular park in the State so I'm thinking it'll be a great place for Pokemon.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
WEnt to a small concert last night in a pretty bad area of Detroit. Between each set people piled out of the hall to look for pokemon. Me and another guy were cycling pokestops when we passed by a crackhead sitting in the grass. I wanted to throw a ball at him to catch him to put him a gym but the game didn't support it.

Sounds like you're at a loss in this if you live in smaller population centers/more rural areas? If it does indeed calculate things off mobile phone density.

Anyone in Minneapolis try this at Mall of America during a weekend/big sale? Big movie theater during a popular release? Theme park i.e. Disneyland/World?
it's definitely not cell density. There are as many or more pokemon in my non-dense, relatively non-tech-savvy neighborhood as a downtown area bristling with people. I surmise there's a consistent density where there are buildings in the game. I also surmise that if you're in a heavily used area you're much more likely to bum someone's incense (attracts pokemon), giving the perception that a given area is prolific with pokemon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You have a point but I don't think it's buildings. I literally spent about 6 hours today testing this in different density locations so hopefully I have some useful data.

It isn't cell density as in people having them turned on, it's them being used in the same location - maybe Google searches/accounts.

So the busiest street in the city with just normal stores and 500+ mobile people had 1 shitty pokemon, but every busy cafe/resturant/pub with 50+ stationary people had something.

A house with stationary people googling random shit beats a clothes store with people walking around with phones in pocket. Your right though neighbourhoods are decent, especially if houses are packed close together with thin roads.

I need to test transport hubs and walmarts now, I've got some rare pokemon at them but didn't go to more than 3 together.

Malls may be terrible if they are multi level and disrupt signals. Huge one in my city had literally nothing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have to imagine the GPS in a mall is shit.

Good thing about indoor GPS is that if you're in a restaurant near one or more pokestops your poor GPS receiver will be desperately trying to figure out wtf is going on due to intense multipath issues and will throw you around. If you're paying attention you can hit the pokestops while being moved.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
So, to max out the pokemon it would be best to get a stage 1 and max>evolve>max>evolve>max? As long as you selected decent abilities for the initial stage 1...Just not wanting to capture a stage 2>evolve>max and discover that I wasted stardust making a shitty pokemon.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
I went into my office on Saturday, literally no one there, and walked around the parking lot. I picked up an Exeggcute, Kingler, and 11 other random Nidoran (male and female), Weedles, Metapods, and Oddishes.

During the week, there are around 800 people in the area, a fair portion of them dicking around on their phones all day, but zero on the weekends, so it may be based on overall phone use, not phone use at a given time.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So the way that Niantic based the amount of XM out there on the ground was from buying "location services" metadata from Google. The longer people were around with a device the stronger an area would spawn with it. Light controlled four ways would have a lot for instance.

Pokemon fill a similar role in this game within its IP. They took a lot of the pokestops from portal locations so I would bet they used XM spawn rates to generate the Pokemon spawn rates. I assume they pruned any portal that had a low rate of use.

Sterling

El Presidente
I haven't put much effort into this, but each time i'm at a gas station there always seems to be a few.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I hope the engineers working on self-driving cars are paying attention - I need survey the landscape for rare pokemon while being driven to the pokemart.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope the engineers working on self-driving cars are paying attention - I need survey the landscape for rare pokemon while being driven to the pokemart.
I feel like this would be a nice game for like VR glasses. Walking around outside staring at my phone constantly is kinda fucked up.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like this would be a nice game for like VR glasses. Walking around outside staring at my phone constantly is kinda fucked up.
Definitely would work really well with Google Glass. Wonder if they ever plan to bring something like that back to the market.