Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hatched a Scyther today. Plugged in its stats and was told he's worth more to me as candy than as a Pokemon...
A perfect IV scyther would be worth more as candy. Flying/Bug has got to be the single worst combination in Pokemon Go. It has double resistance to some of the least common types, but it's weak to fire, electricity, flying, ice, and double weak to rock.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So, I understand the base idea of IV, but I don't understand how you guys are calculating it or getting these numbers from. Did I see someone mention there is an app or at least a website that calculates it for you automatically?
This is the easiest way:Pokemon Go IV Calculator . Poke Assistant

Input your pokemon type, CP, HP and amount of stardust needed to level. Tell tool if you have already leveled the pokemon or not. It will give you a range of possible IV percentages, and you can level it once or twice from there, input the numbers again, and calculate it more exactly.

I went through my entire list of 'mons today and did it for every one of them. I put the number in their name so I know in the future, AKA Hitmonchan90.

After 80+ catches and 21k exp from evolutions today my top fighter is now a 77% Vaporeon at 1280 cp, 149 hp with Water Gun / Hydro Pump

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Um, no. As it is incubators are gonna be a cash cow for them. One of the few items every high level player needs that you can't replenish from a pokestop. They are the only must-buys.
You can get Lure modules from them?

I don't know anyone who buys real Money to buy multiple incubators because that's very expensive. That's just my theory.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I said one of the few items. Lure patches are shit compared to incubators. In most environments you can mooch someone else's lures but no one is going to help you hatch eggs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Better to align an image than to spend stardust leveling a pokemon to check its stats.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I've spent a few bucks on lures early on because I can hit a Pokestop from my apartment. Wasn't a horrible investment in terms of being able to watch tv while catching stuff, but you quickly run into diminishing returns as our lured stop had crap for rarity. It was good times for launch week though. Another good thing was that neighbors caught on and would use theirs after ours expired.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how many attempts it would take to print out a translucent sheet of pokemon levels so I can just place it on my phone to find out pokemon power values.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and the higher level I get (almost 24!) the harder it is to catch pokemon. The more fit I get the faster and more I can run. Last night I stopped catching low-value pokemon on my run just because it wasn't worth the effort. I really hope the increase in catch difficulty doesn't get much higher. Will be frustrating to be level 30 and not be able to catch shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also, finally someone is making this:
The Global Nest Atlas: Join us in mapping the world's Pokemon nests! (Also announcing v2.0 of the Global Pokedex!) (And more access codes!) : TheSilphRoad

I really hope this, or something like it, takes off. This should be built into the game almost, being able to know where to travel locally to catch specific pokemon makes this game much more fun than just sitting in one place catching rare pokemon.

What this misses is hard integration with places like pokevision, or even better a system that programmatically scans the world. However, those systems are going to be disabled sooner or later (because they're enabled by a ridiculous API choice by niantic), so they may as well prepare for a user-driven one now.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder how many attempts it would take to print out a translucent sheet of pokemon levels so I can just place it on my phone to find out pokemon power values.
You know how you need to scroll down a ton to get to the transfer button? Stop scrolling when the dot on the CP bar makes contact with the icons on the top of your screen. Right now, I know that when the dot hits the ones digit on my clock they're lvl 31, the tens digit is 29, the colon is 27, etc... Yeah, you have to re-calibrate your gauge every time you level up, I'm over it already though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just did a scan with 104 accounts of my city for one hour. Found a few big nests with multiple spawn points and high chance of spawns. It does miss small nests with one spawn point or low chance to spawn but you probably don't want to check those unless you are going there anyway.

Starting to put together a website for what I've found.

I think the best strategy is wide short scans for big nests youll travel to then focused long scans for areas you spend time in anyway.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Tomorrow my work is sending me to a place where there are a giant nature park with a quad lure spot where I saw a bunch of Onix and other pokemon I didn't have time to catch.

After that, to one of the most famous parks in Japan with a huge Zoo there, so I can stroll around and catch a bunch. I know Zoos are a hot spot.

Gonna be lots of pokemoning tomorrow while being paid for it!

Tuco's way of calculating pokemon IV is much better than the spreadsheet way btw. You can narrow down the level with 100% certainty easily.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
One of the things that annoys me with PokeVision is that when I scan my house it doesn't pick up my whole neighborhood. Maybe it's because I live on the city line separating Brooklyn and Cleveland but I have to scan my house and then manually scan on just the other side of the Cleveland line to hit the other side of my street (where there is a third rare nest). I definitely have 3 rare nests all within a 5 minute walk of me. One is about 4 houses down the street, the second a bit further about 7 houses down and then the third which is in the other direction and just around the corner. It's the last one that's annoying because it's the furthest away (the 5 minute walk) but doesn't show up on PokeVision when I scan my house.

It also doesn't seem that PokeVision always picks up the rare spawns. I'll have a silhouette on my phone and do a scan for it and come up blank. But since I know the 3 rare spawn locations I'll walk out and hit them and usually find the critter. Knowing how the spawn system works means that I'm catching them more often than not since I just have to hit those 3 locations before the timer runs out. There have been a couple times where I couldn't find it so there is either a 4th spawn nearby or, more likely, the timer is expiring before I get to it.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So this is where I'm going. I hope it's still a den like this tomorrow.

rrr_img_137134.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone found any reliable dratini dens yet? There's an ice rink by me that seems to spawn 1-2 of them pretty regularly, but it's gonna be a long road to farm the 40 of them or whatever I'll need.

RE: Tuco, it just keeps getting harder to catch shit. I'm 26 now and most of my rattata/pidgeys spawn in the 300+ range and typically waste multiple balls to finally catch.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Kinda wanna go there right now.

Fuck it, why not? Catch ya!
I'ma need you to let me know if you find a decent farfetch spawnpoint, as I'll likely need to take a trip over there to grab one. Up to 120 on my pokedex and I don't think I'll be finding him any other way.