Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I've evolved 3 Gyarados already and have 700 candy saved up again. If you live anywhere near water you will be sick to death of Magikarp before too long.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They always have very high CP and are decent gym defenders I think? attacking with them is godawful though if they have that 5 bar dragon move.

Sterling

El Presidente
I found a good walking path in our park system. I caught 3 Dratinis with my best a 93% one. Also an 88% Magikarp. That's my best so far but I still need just under 400 candies for an evolve so I'm hoping to get a better one.
400 is a lot
I've evolved 3 Gyarados already and have 700 candy saved up again. If you live anywhere near water you will be sick to death of Magikarp before too long.
Have a river that runs right through my town and have never seen water pokemons in the wild, it's absurd. Also i have like 3 98+ percent Karps from eggs and only 70 candy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They always have very high CP and are decent gym defenders I think? attacking with them is godawful though if they have that 5 bar dragon move.

About as bad as it gets while still being considered decent. No STAB on a tap attack is terrible for defense.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question: how many coins do u actually get for having a Pokémon at a gym for 24 hrs?
It's not holding it for 24 hours that pays.

In the shop you have a button in the top right that basically is your cash out button. For every pokemon you have in a gym *at that time* you receive 10 pokecoins and 500 star dust. The button has a 21 hour cooldown. It doesn't matter if your pokemon get kicked out 10 minutes later. It does matter if you put your first pokemon in a gym and it gets kicked out while you run to the next gym.

So try to get as many pokemon into gyms as possible, then cash out. Repeat tomorrow.

For example. I can see six gyms from my apartment. For the last two days I checked after waking up who is holding the arenas and then I consider if I can take em out, if there's an empty spot in gym of my team because someone already took one over, or if I can quickly train up one of the gyms to add another of mine.

I also visisted my mother on friday and noticed there was an arena nearby, so I put my 1200 starmie in it after traininig it up a level. Since it's a very rural area, it's just sitting there unchecked for 72 hours now.

I then put on my running shoes and run to each gym where I can put a pokemon in, and when I'm done I cash out.

I really think the pokemon should have in their stats how much coins and dust you've earned with them so far.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What's the best way to check IVs these days for iOS?
I use the in-game leader eval as a first filter, throw any that's not in the 100-80 range.

Then I use Pokeassistant with the in-game eval info. The combination of checking (on pokeassistant) which stat was strongest, and eliminating 15-stat/non-15-stat depending on whether your leader figured it out is enough to narrow it to one or two possibilities.

For rarer pokemon, I'd probably keep some 60-80 ranges, hoping they're in the upper range, then check. I'm not throwing out my 74% Snorlax because he's sub 80, that's for sure :)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree, no reason to even consider ditching a 74 snorlax unless you find a better one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

tldr: Throw when circle is small, don't worry about trying to get inside the circle to increase your chances too much.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well that's interesting. Could let the circle shrink as much as possible and then just not aim for the xp bonus if you wanted to minimize your xp for whatever reason.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
hitting on the smallest circle for me is just blind luck. I can't even reliably do 50 exp throws. So for me this is a choice between 110 exp for what I can do and 100 exp but a much higher capture chance if what that guy writes is true.

I did have one mon escaping a +100 exp throw so far, and quite a few escaping after a +50 exp throw. That shit makes you mad.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup. Took me quite a while to nail down pidgeys and rattatas after the distance change, but I've got em down pretty well now. Weedle is probably my biggest pita now, not counting rare stuff. Ponyta is by far the most difficult throw I've found so far.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the mid distance curveball "Great" is probably higher than 50% for me as well. This is definitely interesting though for big target Pokemon like Dragonite, Lapras etc whereas I would've gone for a Great or Excellent curve ball I'll probably now just try and hit them when the circle is extremely small. For fodder the 50-60% extra exp is definitely still worth it though.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Fixed my links up above. TLDR: Datamining has found code for trading, new types of incense, and legendaries, as well as information about how pokemon spawn.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yup. Took me quite a while to nail down pidgeys and rattatas after the distance change, but I've got em down pretty well now. Weedle is probably my biggest pita now, not counting rare stuff. Ponyta is by far the most difficult throw I've found so far.

I've been waiting for this topic to come up. I consider myself a pokeball tossing connoisseur. Allow my to present my resume.

Doesn't matter which pokemon or where it is, I'm going to dome that motherfucker with extreme prejudice.

It's actually really simple to become a tossing pro like me. Most people try to spin the ball too much. Instead, position your finger on the pokeball, and then draw an e shape. centre to right first, then circle from the side, to the top, to the bottom in a curve, and then flick the tail of the e directly upward. Minimum of motion for a maximum of effort.

zsFgzzh.jpg

Like so. The amount of force on the kick at the end of the curve will determine how far you throw the ball. With a little bit of practice, you'll get it!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, everyone has their own style. I just sit there spinning it non stop until the throw feels right. Tried ignoring great throws in favor of shrinking the circle as small as possible this morning, obviously ~20 pokemon isn't nearly a big enough sample size but it did seem like my capture rate was at least the same, maybe higher. Given the choice between the xp bonus or a higher capture rate, I think I'd prefer the higher capture rate. With the shitty pokestop situation here in town, I want to stretch my ba...pokemon capture devices are far as possible.