Pokemon (Handhelds, not Go)

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Sword and shield are way easier than some of the earlier games as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like sword and shield may be the way to go. Definitely not go, I hate mobile games and his “going outside” time involves zero electronics. Toy swords, bikes, and shit like that is outdoor time. Switch is basically just something to get us through winter when we don’t do much outside. Also a god send for long car trips.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my 7 yo son likes Pokémon but has never played any game yet. He has a switch, which one should he get? He’s never really played a game that you select things from a menu to fight though he’s seen me playing games like that. He loves botw, smash bros, anything Mario or Zelda really. I’ve never played a Pokémon game either so I’m clueless. I see diamond, pearl, legends, shield, let’s go evee, and no idea what the differences are.

Rajaah Rajaah Gavinmad Gavinmad you seem to be the main Pokémon weeb gurus on the board, what’s the best intro game on a switch? Or just best one really.
I don't have a Switch but I know that Let's Go Eevee and Let's Go Pikachu are slightly simplified remakes of the OG red/blue games, you just throw pokeballs at wild pokemon similar to the mobile game controls but you battle other trainers normally.

Sword and Shield is just a normal franchise entry, Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl is a remake of an older pair of games, no idea about Legends.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
So my 7 yo son likes Pokémon but has never played any game yet. He has a switch, which one should he get? He’s never really played a game that you select things from a menu to fight though he’s seen me playing games like that. He loves botw, smash bros, anything Mario or Zelda really. I’ve never played a Pokémon game either so I’m clueless. I see diamond, pearl, legends, shield, let’s go evee, and no idea what the differences are.

Rajaah Rajaah Gavinmad Gavinmad you seem to be the main Pokémon weeb gurus on the board, what’s the best intro game on a switch? Or just best one really.
Get Sword/Sheild. The problems with the games are being too easy for pro gamers and some older pokemon missing for competitive play, so it probably ideal for a 7 year old.

Diamond/Pearl remakes will be slightly more difficult and more complicated games, he can play those if he liked Sword/Sheild.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's the best way to trick a kid into getting into Pokemon so I can justify my purchase and play it with or without him????

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah cartoon. That’s why my kid likes it. He can name all kinds of them and has never played any of the games.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Well, Pokemon Legends: Arceus is coming out in four days. I have no idea if it'll be good or not, but it's described as "Pokemon meets BOTW" and you said he likes that, so it may be the best option. However it's also going to be the most "different" from traditional Pokemon out of all the ones named. If he likes it and wants to get into the series itself, here's the Switch rundown:

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee: Two versions of the same game. A remake of Generation 1 (the original Pokemon Blue/Red on Game Boy in like 1998). I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit and, well, starting with Gen 1's latest remake is probably a decent idea.

Sword/Shield: Two versions of the same game. This one is actually brand new, not a remake, and the latest chapter in the series (Gen 8). Can jump in here if you want more modern gameplay and to see what Pokemon is all about nowadays.

Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl: Basically a remaster of Gen 4. Not even gonna call it a remake. They also remastered the shittier versions of Gen 4. Diamond and Pearl were slow, clunky games in their day. Platinum, the upgraded version of them, is one of the best games in the series. I have no clue why they didn't base the remaster on Platinum. It's also a low-effort port compared to the remakes of Gen 1-3 in the past that were all high-effort actual-remakes. Just finished BD myself and I'd avoid it.

In short:
-Probably start with this Arceus game that's about to come out, unless it gets terrible reviews
-If he wants to jump into the latest incarnation of "regular Pokemon" after that, go with Sword.
-If he wants to go back and see what Gen 1 was like and sort of go through the series instead, go with Let's Go Pikachu. Only issue with that is, it'll be kind of difficult to go through Gens 2-7 without a 3DS since they're all on there. If he gets super into it after Gen 1, it might be worth it to get a 3DS just for this series.
-Probably avoid BD/SP since it's a low-effort port and a downgrade from the existing Gen 4 upgrade.

Best versions of the series as it is now, if you only have a Switch and 3DS:
Gen 1: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (Switch)
Gen 2: Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver (DS)
Gen 3: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/OmegaRuby (3DS)
Gen 4: Pokemon Platinum (DS)
Gen 5: Pokemon Black/White 1 and 2 (DS)
Gen 6: Pokemon X/Y (3DS)
Gen 7: Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (3DS)
Gen 8: Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)

It really is a great series, but you have to be into it, not mind the slow-ish gameplay, enjoy the elemental/type based strategy of it, etc. Most of the games are on the easier side so they're one of the more relaxing things to play, and every time out I end up with a different endgame party regardless of which game it is, which is pretty cool.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've messed with Shield/Sword; they're honestly really solid. The Dyna stuff is a little meh but otherwise I highly recommend. Also a learning curve that really starts to test you in the last 20% of the game. You get a strong introduction to how having opposite type skills on some pokemon are super f'n strong in certain situations. It'll be the first real time you need to look at lineup vs. just pure "what is weakness" thinking. Dragon guy gives zero fucks about your strengths hah.

It's Late/Early, whatever - edit

So Diamond and Pearl are remakes of earlier games, and are mechanically less... interesting, even though those are considered super solid for the time. Anything with Go in the title means you do little jerk off motions to toss balls at Pokemon; if that's his interest then Go is his actual desire, and it'll get him outside. No idea about Legends or the new Arceus thing, but sword/shield and pearl/diamond are much more traditional Pokemon games.

Yeah I wasn't crazy about Dynamax either. All it is is a giant transformation that completely generi-fies all of your Pokemon's abilities into general type moves. Boring.

All the NPCs in Gen 8 make such a big deal about it for the whole game, all Dynamax-this and Dynamax-that. Well I say it's more like Dyna-sucks!

I wonder what it's like to be a kid nowadays with the Nintendo Switch as the big portable, especially the OLED version. When I was a kid we would have killed for anything remotely like that. Hell, just a damn backlight on a portable system would have been incredible. I grew up with the Game Boy and thought it was the greatest thing ever, so I wonder if kids now appreciate what a tremendous system the Switch is.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah cartoon. That’s why my kid likes it. He can name all kinds of them and has never played any of the games.

One of my GFs grew up on the cartoon, so she was very familiar with all the Pokemon without ever playing any of the games. She really wanted me to play one on the TV so she could watch it. This was 2016 so the Switch didn't exist yet. Best I had was Pokemon FireRed on a modded Wii with emulation. Soon as I fought a battle she was like "This is IT?" and was shocked at how slow and animation-less the game actually was. I think she thought you could control them in battle like a regular game. Still watched me play the majority of the game. I like how short Gen 1 is, can finish a playthrough in a day with ease.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Hateyou Hateyou get him Legends: Arceus, which will be releasing soon. It's more like the games he's already played and should serve as a decent bridge to the rest of the games if he likes it.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Legends: Arceus is the best pokemon game in 20 years. Finally feels like the franchise is being modernized. It's not open world like BOTW though, it's large zones like Monster Hunter.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I ordered it, won’t be here til Tuesday but he’s excited for it. Thanks for the advice weebs.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah taking a chance on this one after the good reviews and impressions. Skipped BDSP as that looked more of the same, at least this is trying something different.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Legends: Arceus is the best pokemon game in 20 years. Finally feels like the franchise is being modernized. It's not open world like BOTW though, it's large zones like Monster Hunter.
All they need is a good graphics engine.

Game Freak pls...

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah, comments about the graphics are legitimate. There's a ton of pop in to keep performance decent. But it doesn't lag like SwSh did and for that I find it much more tolerable. Game does have its good looking moments for sure.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well, Pokemon Legends: Arceus is coming out in four days. I have no idea if it'll be good or not, but it's described as "Pokemon meets BOTW" and you said he likes that, so it may be the best option. However it's also going to be the most "different" from traditional Pokemon out of all the ones named. If he likes it and wants to get into the series itself, here's the Switch rundown:

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee: Two versions of the same game. A remake of Generation 1 (the original Pokemon Blue/Red on Game Boy in like 1998). I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit and, well, starting with Gen 1's latest remake is probably a decent idea.

Sword/Shield: Two versions of the same game. This one is actually brand new, not a remake, and the latest chapter in the series (Gen 8). Can jump in here if you want more modern gameplay and to see what Pokemon is all about nowadays.

Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl: Basically a remaster of Gen 4. Not even gonna call it a remake. They also remastered the shittier versions of Gen 4. Diamond and Pearl were slow, clunky games in their day. Platinum, the upgraded version of them, is one of the best games in the series. I have no clue why they didn't base the remaster on Platinum. It's also a low-effort port compared to the remakes of Gen 1-3 in the past that were all high-effort actual-remakes. Just finished BD myself and I'd avoid it.

In short:
-Probably start with this Arceus game that's about to come out, unless it gets terrible reviews
-If he wants to jump into the latest incarnation of "regular Pokemon" after that, go with Sword.
-If he wants to go back and see what Gen 1 was like and sort of go through the series instead, go with Let's Go Pikachu. Only issue with that is, it'll be kind of difficult to go through Gens 2-7 without a 3DS since they're all on there. If he gets super into it after Gen 1, it might be worth it to get a 3DS just for this series.
-Probably avoid BD/SP since it's a low-effort port and a downgrade from the existing Gen 4 upgrade.

Best versions of the series as it is now, if you only have a Switch and 3DS:
Gen 1: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (Switch)
Gen 2: Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver (DS)
Gen 3: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/OmegaRuby (3DS)
Gen 4: Pokemon Platinum (DS)
Gen 5: Pokemon Black/White 1 and 2 (DS)
Gen 6: Pokemon X/Y (3DS)
Gen 7: Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (3DS)
Gen 8: Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)

It really is a great series, but you have to be into it, not mind the slow-ish gameplay, enjoy the elemental/type based strategy of it, etc. Most of the games are on the easier side so they're one of the more relaxing things to play, and every time out I end up with a different endgame party regardless of which game it is, which is pretty cool.
Thanks for the review. My seven year old and I picked up Pikachu Let's Go yesterday and had a lot of fun with it. It's basically perfect for us because the coop lets me play with him while he retains control and he's able to play without me. He did ragequit in the Viridian Forest when Butterfree showed up and introduced moving pokemon mechanics, but I was able to catch it while he was roiling in anguish at how many pokeballs I was yeeting into the woods trying to learn how to aim.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Update, my kid loves Arceus. This is the first game he’s played where you pick attacks from a menu and he picked it right up and loves it. Not sure he would have got right into like that if it was an old style looking game.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
The catching mechanics in Let's Go are fucking horrendous. It's absolutely not fun in the least. Once you have to try to catch harder stuff like the legendary birds, etc. it's fucking infuriating.

As for Arceus, IDK, it just looks boring as fuck to me. Just watching reviews and seeing that Kleavor encounter where you dodge and chuck balms at it for 90% of the "fight" and that's being praised as one of the cooler types of content in the game...oof. Maybe there's better quests later, but it looked mostly like "go catch X bidoof" or "go hit Y little shits with some herb bombs" etc. On top of that, the game just looks like shit...it's ugly as a motherfucker.

Anyone hear able to change my mind? I don't really trust any review sites with Pokemon games, because the soyboys are always going to gargle the Pokemon cock. I skipped out on Sword and Shield as well because they looked like hot trash and dynamax is a retarded gimmick, but then again it sold more than any other Pokemon game ever, apparently, so maybe I'm wrong.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
but then again it sold more than any other Pokemon game ever, apparently, so maybe I'm wrong.
I'd attribute this just as much to it being the first mainline Pokemon game that wasn't handheld exclusive as I would to any assumption of quality.

• 1Truth!