Pole Barn / Outbuilding / Machine Shed / Man-Cave / Workshops

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You could hire a design/build contractor. Don't hire someone separate to design it. You can often find plans online, and contractors will work with those. Or design it yourself, and then bring it to your contractor and figure out if it will work or not.

Or just build the damned thing yourself. That's not a complicated structure.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anyone have experience with pre-fab or custom sheds to use as a detached office? My wife and I are house shopping, found a place we like that doesn't have enough space for both of us to work from home but the property has a perfect slot for some kind of drop-in outbuilding. Seems like you can get a good looking, insulated and wired building for $15-20k that's installed in a few hours. Anyone done this?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
What’s the consensus on buying plans for pole barn structures versus hiring someone to design it?

I went with paying someone to design my barndo because my soil is garbage and I wanted an engineered slab too. Just got started on that. Still can't get firm prices from the contractor but we're going to just push ahead and get it done. The architect said if we need to resize it after getting the numbers back it's no extra charge.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I went with paying someone to design my barndo because my soil is garbage and I wanted an engineered slab too. Just got started on that. Still can't get firm prices from the contractor but we're going to just push ahead and get it done. The architect said if we need to resize it after getting the numbers back it's no extra charge.
Hoss so what was your workflow here? You hired the architect first? He designs it, you pass it off to a contractor to get permitting and build it?? Does the architect need permitting info prior to him designing?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Hoss so what was your workflow here? You hired the architect first? He designs it, you pass it off to a contractor to get permitting and build it?? Does the architect need permitting info prior to him designing?

I don't need permits where I am. I sketched out what I wanted for a floorplan. Found a contractor to do it. He recommended an architect. He actually recommended a few and they were a lot higher than the guy I used. I can't remember where I got the name for the one I used. But the architect was on top of the permits. He found out where it was and told me what I needed in that regard.

Actually, I do need a permit for a septic and well if I do that, but I'm not doing them right now.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't need permits where I am. I sketched out what I wanted for a floorplan. Found a contractor to do it. He recommended an architect. He actually recommended a few and they were a lot higher than the guy I used. I can't remember where I got the name for the one I used. But the architect was on top of the permits. He found out where it was and told me what I needed in that regard.

Actually, I do need a permit for a septic and well if I do that, but I'm not doing them right now.
Interesting I’ll have to check and see if I need a permit… only thing I’d want it electrical which I know id need a permit for but shouldn’t be a big deal

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I might have posted this, but fuck it its 9am and I havent been sober in 3hrs.

I've wanted to do a large, 2000sqft+ basement, then build a steel framed shed on top of it, with a small (1000sqft) "2nd story / main floor" for the basement area, and a huge area for parking vehicles etc. Maybe 8k sqft of open parking / work space, 4k sqft of total "living area".

Thats been the plan for when I get ready to move to the farm. Might give it a shot in the next few years tho.

Anyone know if the expense to building a basment is linear? Like x$ / sqft, almost regardless of sqft?

Seen some fucking gorgeous pole barn homes tho, so who knows.

Edit:

Have no idea how accurate. Lol

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I know with the above ground stuff there are magic numbers depending on stud distances. For instance the cost for a 48 ft span is the same as a 45 ft span because they're using the same 12 ft beams but you have more waste. 40 ft would be the next lowest price break. I assume the same is true with basements, you just need to know the beam lengths that you can use.

There are other costs, of course, but those numbers carry through to the finishout.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I might have posted this, but fuck it its 9am and I havent been sober in 3hrs.

I've wanted to do a large, 2000sqft+ basement, then build a steel framed shed on top of it, with a small (1000sqft) "2nd story / main floor" for the basement area, and a huge area for parking vehicles etc. Maybe 8k sqft of open parking / work space, 4k sqft of total "living area".

Thats been the plan for when I get ready to move to the farm. Might give it a shot in the next few years tho.

Anyone know if the expense to building a basment is linear? Like x$ / sqft, almost regardless of sqft?

Seen some fucking gorgeous pole barn homes tho, so who knows.

Edit:

This sounds awesome

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Edit:

Those links compare it to adding on rooms. So are they talking about taking a house that has no basement and adding one? I assumed you could only add a basement to a new structure.

I would love to have a basement, but we don't do them around here. I'm told it's because of the flooding.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can add a basement to an existing house but it's kind of a pain in the ass. A guy I know did it by just jacking his house up and putting it on blocks and then put insulated concrete forms under it to build the basement.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can add a basement to an existing house but it's kind of a pain in the ass. A guy I know did it by just jacking his house up and putting it on blocks and then put insulated concrete forms under it to build the basement.

My brother actually used to do this for a living. It's hella expensive.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This guy did it himself. By hand...

• 2Like
  • 2WTF
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
This guy did it himself. By hand...

This is so awesome. Super jealous… love the vibe he has going on the finished build. Wish I could have that in florida.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is so awesome. Super jealous… love the vibe he has going on the finished build. Wish I could have that in florida.
I used to have motivation to do crazy shit like that. I wish I still did.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Haha thats cool but what the actual fuck with that simulator setup. He's hitting balls into a hard wall that sends the ball flying backwards at full speed. He's gonna kill himself!!!

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haha thats cool but what the actual fuck with that simulator setup. He's hitting balls into a hard wall that sends the ball flying backwards at full speed. He's gonna kill himself!!!
They are foam balls.

Khane

Alright well that makes more sense. Though foam balls are worthless in a sim because of wildly different spin rates.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Alright well that makes more sense. Though foam balls are worthless in a sim because of wildly different spin rates.
I agree but cut the guy some slack, he has about 50 square feet of space in there!

Khane

I was really more concerned about the man's safety. It's been so long since I saw someone hit a foam golf ball I forgot they even existed