Possible Star Trek Next Generation reboot

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think we could get a character like Kira again. She refers to herself as a terrorist and doesn't shy away from the fact that Bajoran's died as a result of her actions as a member of the resistance but she's also a (mostly) good and honorable person and one of the main members of the cast. She isn't some throwaway character in a message episode. We're with her almost every week. The stories centered around her are often very, very serious but they don't shy away from anything. We're not spoon fed messages about how right she was to do the things she did nor is she some stoic grimderp caricature of a war vet. She has real depth. The show was full of deep characters.

I seem to remember one episode that painted her as a straight villian. Not one of the mirror universe ones, it was just a Kira backstory episode.

DS9 was very good sometimes. They didn't shy away from the fucked up. Chikote from Voyager was basically the same character done incredibly poorly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I seem to remember one episode that painted her as a straight villian. Not one of the mirror universe ones, it was just a Kira backstory episode.

DS9 was very good sometimes. They didn't shy away from the fucked up. Chikote from Voyager was basically the same character done incredibly poorly.

There's one episode where I think it's from the perspective of Odo reliving some memories and in that we see Kira. She's just straight up assassinating dudes and lying to the Po Po. At the end of the episode Odo has to face up to the fact that she totally murdered dudes and lied to Odo about it on multiple occasions.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Necessary Evil (episode)

Kira killed a collaborator and Odo was the one that investigated the crime. He had the wrong suspect though and Kira never fessed up to him over the years, damaging their friendship. Unfortunately, not enough to make their cringy inevitable romance impossible.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't care what anyone says, I really enjoy TMP. Great when stoned as well.

There's not really anything wrong with Star Trek : The Slow Motion Picture. It's very, very faithful to the show.

I know people really like RLM but I'm going to plug SFDebris here right quick. He's been doing Star Trek reviews for a long time now as well as reviews of many other nerdy properties and I find him to be delightful.

Star Trek Reviews

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
sounds like it'll be part of the new movie universe
'Star Trek' Boss: Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life in CBS All Access Series
Now, Trek captain Alex Kurtzman is pulling back the curtain on the upcoming project, revealing that a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy's Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

Now, Kurtzman is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard effort, due in late 2019: "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire". The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization. The Romulans went on to control a portion of the galaxy, and the empire was in opposition to the Federation for all of Picard's career.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
sounds like it'll be part of the new movie universe
'Star Trek' Boss: Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life in CBS All Access Series
Now, Trek captain Alex Kurtzman is pulling back the curtain on the upcoming project, revealing that a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy's Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

Now, Kurtzman is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard effort, due in late 2019: "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire". The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization. The Romulans went on to control a portion of the galaxy, and the empire was in opposition to the Federation for all of Picard's career.

Garbage writing.

Long live the Tal Shiar!

BA782D07-7545-48EC-BBCE-31D6473719A3.png

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To boldly go where only humans are and only human vs human conflicts matter!

• 1Like

Cybsled

The show reportedly is still the prime timeline, it is just post Romulus blowing the fuck up.

That could make for some good storylines. Even if the Romulan Empire fell apart, there are still Romulans...except now you have a bunch of different factions vying for power more openly. The senate is dead, but you can be sure the Tal Shiar and the Military will still have a significant presense. Since both traditionally have been at odds, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a more open civil war to rule over the remains of the empire. Plus, you'd have the Klingons salivating at the prospect of taking a chunk of the former Romulan terroritories and the Federation would be able to use cloaking technology w/o special permission now. I'm sure Section 31 would be happy as fuck about this development.

You could potentially even reintroduce the Cardassians. The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order worked together during the Dominion War...I could easily see them trying to broker some mutually agreeable plan that would help both rebuild and consolidate their former power.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Reskinned Discovery sounds cringey.

Too bad the licensee of the toys and CBS didn't have more pull (or money to waste on a production shutdown in CBS case) to get it straightened out.

spronk

FPS noob
there's some movie playing in theaters May 13th only thats like a look back at DS9, sounds interesting
Atom Tickets – Buy Movie Tickets, Invite Friends, Skip Lines

Director: Ira Steven Behr, David Zappone
Producer: Joseph Kornbrodt, Kai De Mello-Folsom, Luke Snailham
Release Date: May 13, 2019
Runtime: 2hr 10m
Synopsis
Fathom Events and Shout! Factory have joined forces to bring What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space 9 to theatres for one night. Deep Space Nine is described as “dark,” “edgy,” and “the black sheep” of the Star Trek family – a show that did not fit in Gene Roddenberry’s vision of the future. 20 years after it left the airwaves, fans all over the world continue to watch Deep Space Nine with the same affection they feel for the other Star Trek series. Through extensive interviews with cast and creators, show footage presented in HD for the first time anywhere, and brand-new animated storyboards showing what could have been and what still might be, directors Ira Steven Behr (showrunner of the original series) and David Zappone (Star Trek docs The Captains and For the Love of Spock), bring you What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, an in-depth look at this beloved show, its fans, and its ongoing appeal to Trekkers of all ages.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
there's some movie playing in theaters May 13th only thats like a look back at DS9, sounds interesting
Atom Tickets – Buy Movie Tickets, Invite Friends, Skip Lines
Interesting, but I don't know if I'd want to go see that in a theater. DS9 is probably my favorite series and Ira Steven Behr usually gives insightful interviews. Shout factory is the company that has been putting together great special editions of classic movies and putting them in nice steelcases. A strong maybe.