Possible Star Trek Next Generation reboot

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Kind of burned out on Trek crossover materials. Shit has been done to death. Besides, Ben Sisko's motherfucking pimp-hand would just be overpowered.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
haven't read any star trek comic book but this might be cool
4-Way 'Star Trek' Comics Crossover with Original, TNG, DS9 and Voyager Crews Coming in 2019!

For the first time ever, the beloved crews of four Star Trek incarnations – The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager – will be pitted against one another in IDW's mind-blowing comic book miniseries, Star Trek: The Q Conflict. Debuting in January, this epic six-part event features the writing team of Scott and David Tipton (Star Trek: The Next Generation – Mirror Broken) and art by David Messina (Cloak and Dagger, Star Trek: Countdown).

When a dispute between godlike beings threatens the galaxy, it will take all of Starfleet's best captains to stop them. James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Kathryn Janeway, and Benjamin Sisko must go head-to-head in a competition rigged by the arrogant Q and his nigh-omnipotent cohorts.

Isn't this the plot of the mobile game Timelines? Except that one also has the Archerprise and the latest Star Trek Dysentery characters as well

Cybsled

haven't read any star trek comic book but this might be cool
4-Way 'Star Trek' Comics Crossover with Original, TNG, DS9 and Voyager Crews Coming in 2019!

For the first time ever, the beloved crews of four Star Trek incarnations – The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager – will be pitted against one another in IDW's mind-blowing comic book miniseries, Star Trek: The Q Conflict. Debuting in January, this epic six-part event features the writing team of Scott and David Tipton (Star Trek: The Next Generation – Mirror Broken) and art by David Messina (Cloak and Dagger, Star Trek: Countdown).

When a dispute between godlike beings threatens the galaxy, it will take all of Starfleet's best captains to stop them. James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Kathryn Janeway, and Benjamin Sisko must go head-to-head in a competition rigged by the arrogant Q and his nigh-omnipotent cohorts.

Voyager crew would be the underdogs, because no one likes them out of the 4. Except the Doctor, he rules.

Worf is going to have some tested loyalties. The TNG folks are wearing the grey starfleet uniforms, which means Worf is already posted to DS9 if memory serves. Plus Dax is with the DS9 crew...although knowing them, they'd probably get off on competing against each other.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Did you just assume a hologram's consent?

The funny thing about a joke like this is that if Trek was made today, this would be a topical issue they'd probably take on in an episode. But back in '91 they were showing the Federation as being so calous about AI rights that Data was considered property until he won his freedoms.

We have somehow become more "progressive" than aspects of Roddenberry's pipe dream.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

The funny thing about a joke like this is that if Trek was made today, this would be a topical issue they'd probably take on in an episode. But back in '91 they were showing the Federation as being so calous about AI rights that Data was considered property until he won his freedoms.

We have somehow become more "progressive" than aspects of Roddenberry's pipe dream.

They really started to toy with this idea during Voyager. TNG had Moriarty and DS9 had Vic Fontaine, but they were always kind of one-offs. Voyager had the Doctor, but later on they really expanded the idea even further. I forget the episode name, but those Predator ripoff aliens were basically using holodeck technology to make holodeck hologram hunts...but the holograms became self-aware and wanted the hunt shit to end. Then the Doctor made that holo-novel which they show other holograms liking because it was this big hologram rights thing. There was another one where one of their historical re-enactment programs became self-aware as well.

When you think about it, it was a logical progression from Data. At a certain point, if the AI becomes advanced enough, then you get into the ethical dilemma of whether or not it now has to be considered a sentient lifeform. Data set the milestone ruling, so it makes sense you then have to progress from there in terms of AI.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They really started to toy with this idea during Voyager. TNG had Moriarty and DS9 had Vic Fontaine, but they were always kind of one-offs. Voyager had the Doctor, but later on they really expanded the idea even further. I forget the episode name, but those Predator ripoff aliens were basically using holodeck technology to make holodeck hologram hunts...but the holograms became self-aware and wanted the hunt shit to end. Then the Doctor made that holo-novel which they show other holograms liking because it was this big hologram rights thing. There was another one where one of their historical re-enactment programs became self-aware as well.

When you think about it, it was a logical progression from Data. At a certain point, if the AI becomes advanced enough, then you get into the ethical dilemma of whether or not it now has to be considered a sentient lifeform. Data set the milestone ruling, so it makes sense you then have to progress from there in terms of AI.

Yeah, I completely forgot about the Voyager AI rights stuff, and wasn't thinking of Vic. Still though, all of that came after Roddenberry, so it still stands as an amusing look at how even the most free minded viewpoints can shift dramatically in just a few decades to the point of "holograms being raped" even being a thing.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I started a rewatch of DS9 recently and I just finished Duet. If I hope for anything from this reboot or future Discovery episodes, it's that we can see this level of writing again.

Fun fact: Aamin Marritza is played by the same actor as Buddy from Ozark

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The La Forge and Brahms stuff kind of touched on it too. With her coming back IRL later on to judge face him about programming her up and getting all familiar.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I started a rewatch of DS9 recently and I just finished Duet. If I hope for anything from this reboot or future Discovery episodes, it's that we can see this level of writing again.

Fun fact: Aamin Marritza is played by the same actor as Buddy from Ozark

I don't think we could get a character like Kira again. She refers to herself as a terrorist and doesn't shy away from the fact that Bajoran's died as a result of her actions as a member of the resistance but she's also a (mostly) good and honorable person and one of the main members of the cast. She isn't some throwaway character in a message episode. We're with her almost every week. The stories centered around her are often very, very serious but they don't shy away from anything. We're not spoon fed messages about how right she was to do the things she did nor is she some stoic grimderp caricature of a war vet. She has real depth. The show was full of deep characters.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't think we could get a character like Kira again. She refers to herself as a terrorist and doesn't shy away from the fact that Bajoran's died as a result of her actions as a member of the resistance but she's also a (mostly) good and honorable person and one of the main members of the cast. She isn't some throwaway character in a message episode. We're with her almost every week. The stories centered around her are often very, very serious but they don't shy away from anything. We're not spoon fed messages about how right she was to do the things she did nor is she some stoic grimderp caricature of a war vet. She has real depth. The show was full of deep characters.

The character was deep, and well written, but if you're going to have a character with that much development it would really be a good idea to make sure the person portraying that character can act. Whoever it is who played Kira was a shit actor. Just awful.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Again it was supposed to be Michelle Forbes playing Ro Laren.... in some parallel universe this actually happened.

spronk

FPS noob

The Expanse has multiple characters that are just as "deep" and conflicted as Kira and better written (and acted) I'd argue, like Amos, Dawes, Fred Johnson, Miller, etc. BSG had a lot of it. That doesn't even dip into outside sci fi where there are a ton of great conflicted character dramas featuring war/terrorist characters like Homeland, Peaky Blinders, Americans, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The Expanse has multiple characters that are just as "deep" and conflicted as Kira and better written (and acted) I'd argue, like Amos, Dawes, Fred Johnson, Miller, etc. BSG had a lot of it. That doesn't even dip into outside sci fi where there are a ton of great conflicted character dramas featuring war/terrorist characters like Homeland, Peaky Blinders, Americans, etc.

I see how it wasn't clear but I was just talking about Star Trek properties. I just can't see a character like that being on a "tune in at 7" television series and not being shallow. Voyager retread over some of the same ideas and it always came out ass and that show was just the one after.